Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is 90-95% suburban with a small urban core. It's really nothing remotely like NYC. You won't be able to replicate much of that at all here. Most people who move here and end up loving it are looking for the suburban life in the neighborhood with the pool and clubhouse and tons of kids running around playing in the backyards. Folks go to the mall to shop.

I like downtown Raleigh and think there is some fun stuff happening there now — good restaurants, a couple of good museums, sometimes some nice events like ArtsPlosure or the Bluegrass events — but it is nothing like the urban environments of NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, etc.

It's actually much less dense than NJ for the most part and more suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Did you read this thread, at the top of the forum labeled as "Read this first"?

Do know that you are not going to find ANYTHING like NYC here. We have shows (regional theatre and Broadway on Tour), but don't move here if you're going to become one of those NYC expatriates who is constantly saying "But in NY, we had ____, why don't you??" (the answer is, "because you aren't in NY anymore!").

NC State is referred to as "State", not "North Carolina University" (there is no such thing), just in case you're going to use that reference in other posts.

Will you be working in Raleigh? If so, that may dictate where you want to live for a shorter commute (combined with school districts). Lots of folks from up your way like Cary, and the schools are generally good there...but also be aware that NC has county-based school systems, and Wake county is one of the largest school districts in the US with over 100K students. There have been lots of reassignments in the past few years, so it's not a guarantee to get the school you want, necessarily.

EDIT: OK, just reread and saw you are retired. But the schools your daughter would be attending if you lived downtown might not be the greatest, and I doubt there would be many other teenagers nearby for her to hang out with (most of the downtown condos tend to appeal to young childless adults and couples). Chapel Hill has great school but is also expensive. Are you only considering the Triangle area, or all of NC?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,668,148 times
The OP said nothing about comparing the Raleigh area to NYC.

We really need a dislike button.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:26 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,344,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
The OP said nothing about comparing the Raleigh area to NYC.

We really need a dislike button.
Sometimes you have to read further than the first post.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sometimes you have to read further than the first post.
Indeed...the second post says this:
"We currently live in the suburbs of NJ about 1 hour from NYC. My wife and daughter love NYC life. My daughter rather go shopping, plays, concerts ect ect."

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM

The OP has yet to make a comparative statement. You're assuming that they will. I'm assuming that they understand that they are moving to a small city with a lot less to offer BUT still meets their requirements. I guess we'll see...

Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,022,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrob911 View Post
Budget is $500,000 for condo, $400,000 for house. Want a city life, son was excepted into NC State and will live on campus. Want to send my 13 year old daughter to a good public school or private. We currently live in the suburbs of NJ about 1 hour from NYC. My wife and daughter love NYC life. My daughter rather go shopping, plays, concerts ect ect. Any input , Thanks
Raleigh is going to be a rude awakening if those are your expectations. Financially no but culturally yes. I love Raleigh but it and shopping,dining in NYC is two different animals.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,344,466 times
Quote:
The OP has yet to make a comparative statement. You're assuming that they will. I'm assuming that they understand that they are moving to a small city with a lot less to offer BUT still meets their requirements. I guess we'll see...
Seeing your point on the dislike button.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
They said they "want a city life" and then went on to list all the things they like to do in NYC. Pretty sure they will not find "city life" like that in Raleigh.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They said they "want a city life" and then went on to list all the things they like to do in NYC. Pretty sure they will not find "city life" like that in Raleigh.
"city life" does not necessarily mean NYC life, so how do you know? They listed a few generic things that you can find in a small place like Raleigh. Well, shopping..probably not. However they left out big city things like mass transit and a large variety of ethnic foods from what they listed. Sounds like they've scaled back expectations as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary