Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of shopping in Raleigh. I wouldn't even call Raleigh that small at all. I wonder if y'all have ever been to an actual small city, like Des Moines, Little Rock, Birmingham or Louisville? Sure, Raleigh isn't just a dense core of skyscrapers and it is sprawled, but it has all the shopping and dining you'll ever need. The Triangle as a whole especially does. I'm sure OP will like it just fine based on his criteria. Like C_lan said, city life =/= NYC life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
There is plenty of shopping in Raleigh. I wouldn't even call Raleigh that small at all. I wonder if y'all have ever been to an actual small city, like Des Moines, Little Rock, Birmingham or Louisville? Sure, Raleigh isn't just a dense core of skyscrapers and it is sprawled, but it has all the shopping and dining you'll ever need. The Triangle as a whole especially does. I'm sure OP will like it just fine based on his criteria. Like C_lan said, city life =/= NYC life.
If you are just comparing cities, Louisville has about 170,000 more people than Raleigh.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Well, obviously we can only go on what bobrob wrote, but when he said:

Quote:
My wife and daughter love NYC life. My daughter rather go shopping, plays, concerts ect ect.
I thought that seemed pretty clear that he was saying his wife and daughter really like NYC life and I don't think it's at all unreasonable for folks on this thread to point out that Raleigh life, even in a downtown condo, is not at all like NYC life and if they're looking for something similar they're not going to find it in Raleigh. Most people go to the malls to shop, rather than go downtown, and although I think the Triangle gets some good shows it's nothing like NYC.

Here's a list for the Duke Energy Ctr:
Event Calendar - Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts

Some interesting things, but nothing like Broadway.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Sure you still want to move here, OP?

Sigh...it never ends...

Guaranteed the entire family is already aware that Raleigh life is not going to be like NYC life. Well...maybe not the 13-year-old, but they are hard to please. The OP was merely listing out some things the family enjoys.

So. OP, you'll find a lot here to enjoy, it's just going to be more spread out. You'll probably enjoy downtown Raleigh, but would likely also enjoy Chapel Hill. Definitely visit both - and spend time in downtown Raleigh evenings and weekends. I like going there during the day on weekends sometimes to get a little bit of a city feel (I used to live in NYC...and was aware that NYC is NYC, here is here). Visit Durham as well - if you do move to Chapel Hill, you may want to go to restaurants in Chapel Hill, Durham, Carrboro, Pittsboro, Hillsborough. All of those towns are terrific and interesting.

DPAC has the touring musicals; there's good theatre around but again it's spread out. The NC art museum (right near NC State) is amazing, as is the park around it. I feel like there are great opportunities for kids in the arts in Chapel Hill and you can't go wrong with the public schools...but I don't have kids, so others can advise more.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
I think we all agree that the area has shopping and entertainment . My reply and Im sure others is to make the OP aware that most of those things do not necessarily happen downtown. The OP stated a condo dwntwn was an option because of the activities his wife and daughter enjoy in NYC. Posters just wanted to make sure he knew that its different here and living downtown( though great) doesnt currently offer those ammenities. With their budget Id go with a house downtown because a condo even smack in the center isnt going to give you theater and shopping outside your door.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Well, the OP hasn't come back to clarify but I am pretty sure that living an hour outside NYC (which is actually considered a pretty good distance up there) the wife and 13 year old weren't spending all their free time gallivanting around Manhattan. There's just not enough time for that on weekends unless the child has zero other interests or friends. So, will she survive her teenage years in a suburban wasteland that's probably similar to where she is currently domiciled? Yes, she will. All the shopping she has up there is available here, and some of it is better (Belk and Dillard's come to mind). Surely they knew before this thread that this area isn't like NYC, no place is. But if they didn't, they do now.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, the OP hasn't come back to clarify but I am pretty sure that living an hour outside NYC (which is actually considered a pretty good distance up there) the wife and 13 year old weren't spending all their free time gallivanting around Manhattan. There's just not enough time for that on weekends unless the child has zero other interests or friends. So, will she survive her teenage years in a suburban wasteland that's probably similar to where she is currently domiciled? Yes, she will. All the shopping she has up there is available here, and some of it is better (Belk and Dillard's come to mind). Surely they knew before this thread that this area isn't like NYC, no place is. But if they didn't, they do now.
I agree, living one hour outside of NYC in NJ puts you in some very suburban areas. It sounds like the OP and his family are looking for a change if they are considering a condo downtown.

OP come visit, see if it is for you and yes also come and check out Durham and Chapel hill they have some nice things to off too including entertainment and great restaurants.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrob911 View Post
WOW, thanks for the info, I'm going to NC end of January for about 2 weeks to look around (house hunting). I have been studying the NC map, schools ect. ect..
Great idea. You should be able to get the feel of our are in 2 weeks. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
I think I'll just wait for the other bo bro to return and provide some extra detail on what lifestyle they seek before passing judgement, or aspersion.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:20 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
If you are just comparing cities, Louisville has about 170,000 more people than Raleigh.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indeed. Strangely my Google result have me Louisville's 1999 population. Weird. Still, RDU metro is larger than Louisville, right? I'm on my phone right now and don't want to look lol. I'm assuming it is tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary