Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,024,587 times

Advertisements

Scout groups are out and about this week distributing luminaries over the next few weekends. We just got ours this weekend and my scout troop is delivering them next weekend in our assigned neighborhood. I've never been anywhere else in the country over Christmas, is it a common practice in other places to put luminaries out on Christmas Eve? Are people who move here from out of state familiar with the tradition?

I live in a Non-HOA part of "older" Cary and they're very popular here. It's so beautiful and peaceful to see them lit all over the neighborhood on Christmas Eve.

Last edited by lamishra; 12-08-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,082,704 times
Brentwood area has done it for years.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:22 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
As far as I know luminaries are popular in lots of places. I know I've seen them in neighborhoods in Philadelphia and DC, but not necessarily on Christmas Eve. Here in Southern Village, we do them on Saturday in mid-December, and it benefits the Ronald McDonald house. Last year, it rained on the day we were supposed to do it, so it got postponed to the Saturday of Christmas break, and we had already left, so we missed it. It does look very pretty with the whole neighborhood lit up.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM

22,613 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Never saw them on Long Island. We do them on the night of our neighborhood's winter party. People are encouraged to put them out on Christmas Eve as well but most don't seem to get around to it. Maybe this will be the year!

Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,718,061 times
We did them in my North Raleigh neighborhood when I was growing up in the 1970s, on Christmas Eve. One year it rained on Christmas Eve, so we did them on New Year's Eve.

I think they may originate in the Southwest? I've heard some call them "luminarias". Anyone on here from that part of the country? I had never heard of them until the mid 1970s.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:18 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
We did them in my North Raleigh neighborhood when I was growing up in the 1970s, on Christmas Eve. One year it rained on Christmas Eve, so we did them on New Year's Eve.

I think they may originate in the Southwest? I've heard some call them "luminarias". Anyone on here from that part of the country? I had never heard of them until the mid 1970s.
Good question, and it looks like you were right! It appears to have originated with the Spaniards and is very popular in the Southwestern part of the US.

Luminaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2014, 09:25 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Scout groups are out and about this week distributing luminaries over the next few weekends. We just got ours this weekend and my scout troop is delivering them next weekend in our assigned neighborhood. I've never been anywhere else in the country over Christmas, is it a common practice in other places to put luminaries out on Christmas Eve? Are people who move here from out of state familiar with the tradition?

I live in a Non-HOA part of "older" Cary and they're very popular here. It's so beautiful and peaceful to see them lit all over the neighborhood on Christmas Eve.

In my old neighborhood I was always approached to buy them from someone and light them on Xmas eve. Once I moved to the county, I was never approached about luminaries or trick-or-treaters. Once I started working out of state I never saw the luminaries again, trick or treaters were only occasional.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Good question, and it looks like you were right! It appears to have originated with the Spaniards and is very popular in the Southwestern part of the US.

Luminaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never see them in Southern California , they would definitely be a fire hazard. That would hold true anywhere that's desert..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I never see them in Southern California , they would definitely be a fire hazard. That would hold true anywhere that's desert..
This year, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary