Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,987 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My wife and I bought a home this past year in East Raleigh, near WakeMed and love the area, but we feel like it's missing something. People are nice and it's such a great area, but there are hardly any businesses. We feel like there is so much potential to become even better, but there aren't any restaurants or spots to hang out around here, unless you go further into downtown. What's the deal? Is everyone afraid to open a business here? Lack of available spaces? I'd love to see the old Envy nightclub get turned into something that would benefit the area. Does anyone know if there are any plans for that area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Don't know if there are any plans for the area. That part of Raleigh seems to have a bad reputation (he says as someone who moved here last year) that is unwarranted (IMO) for large stretches of it. The conventional wisdom is to avoid everything from Capital Blvd clockwise to S. Saunders Street but it seems to me that there are plenty of perfectly nice neighborhoods in that large area (and obviously, some poor neighborhoods and higher-crime areas as well). Unfortunately, the conventional wisdom takes a long time to change.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:01 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolinma04 View Post
Hey all,

My wife and I bought a home this past year in East Raleigh, near WakeMed and love the area, but we feel like it's missing something.
I work between there and Knightdale and can say the area is greatly in need of quality restaurants, especially for lunch*. If you look at any of the restaurant guides there is never a section for East Raleigh.

* I do really like A'nets Ketch, but you can't eat there every day!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
A few things I'd like to see out this way:

- A nice Harris Teeter.
- A nice coffee shop, something like Jubala.
- A nice place to go out to and shoot pool.
- A movie theater.
- A diner.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:12 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I used to live in that area and still frequent daily. Its in the first stages of gentrification with housing. It will take longer for business to follow. As more people want to live close to downtown but are priced out, the neighborhoods around wake med will become more attractive.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
A few things I'd like to see out this way:

- A nice Harris Teeter.
- A nice coffee shop, something like Jubala.
- A nice place to go out to and shoot pool.
- A movie theater.
- A diner.
20 +years ago it had almost all those things. They closed down and were replaced with lower tier stores. With the right development they could be tried again. First comes the people then the ammenties to serve them.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
I think before long that area will get a few more things. It's already better than it was 5 years ago or so. The foodlion shopping center out RockQuarry Road/Battlebridge is nice. And Knightdale or Garner/White OAak are relatively close drives for Target, Chilis' etc. A movie theater is probably the biggest convenience missing from that side of town. But trust me there are so many more new developments than there used to be and it'll just take time.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:09 AM

113 posts, read 180,860 times
Its been easier to develop or redevelop other areas of the county in closer proximity to jobs (e.g. Brier Creek, North Hills) or further out where nothing was before (e.g. White Oak, Knightdale's Shops at Midway). East Raleigh competes with these areas for business and residents. Any new development will have to be creative catering amenities and housing to the desired clientele while capitalizing on what's already there (i.e. Wake Med, location, land).

Battlebridge is a nice shopping center but there are many forgotten areas between there and downtown.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
City of Raleigh owns and or controls a lot of land in that area. you're not going to see a Harris Teeter or similar medium/upscale grocer, nor a movie theater (completely private enterprise), but there's plenty of good old density and multi-purpose development that could occur.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
City of Raleigh owns and or controls a lot of land in that area. you're not going to see a Harris Teeter or similar medium/upscale grocer, nor a movie theater (completely private enterprise), but there's plenty of good old density and multi-purpose development that could occur.
Thats what is ironic. Is that there were 2 theaters at Tower and a Harris Teeter up New Bern years ago. Does the city own all these properties now? Not saying I would reopen them now but are you saying there is no possibility of these things in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary