Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Thank you very much.

I do think there is a difference when it comes to "vacationing". Raleigh is certainly not Disney World or Clearwater Beach, so obviously there would be a difference in that regard.

For people who find it boring when living in the Raleigh, I would say that if your life's passion is to surf the waves everyday, then don't move to Raleigh. IOW, whenever possible, try to live somewhere which matches your activity lifestyle.

In a word........homework.
I think most people complaining about being bored are seeking more of an urban vibe, not the ocean or natural attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think most people complaining about being bored are seeking more of an urban vibe, not the ocean or natural attractions.
I think it can be many different things including, but not limited to, an urban vibe. I have seen many posts where people complain about the ocean being so far away. Yes, 90-120 minutes is far away for people who are used to having it almost out their front door.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I think it can be many different things including, but not limited to, an urban vibe. I have seen many posts where people complain about the ocean being so far away. Yes, 90-120 minutes is far away for people who are used to having it almost out their front door.
Yes (I used to walk 15 minutes to the beach) - the ocean is not in the triangle so shouldn't be included as part of the Triangle's attractions. North Carolina's attractions, yes - doable for a day trip, yes...but it's not in the triangle!

Old 12-16-2014, 06:53 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
There's a lot to do around there (lots of concerts and museum attractions if you're into that) and you can make a great life for yourself in that area. I've lived close by and liked it well enough. HOWEVER, I'd much prefer a more laid-back mountain town over the RDU anyday. I wouldn't want to live there permanently.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:27 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Raleigh probably isn't boring for people who have never left NC. The 2010 Census shows 58.5% of people who live in NC were born in NC. Many people never even travel outside of their home state, or ever get on a plane. My point is, Raleigh is probably fine if you're point of view is limited to the state. If you've been to any number of other cities, it will feel incredibly dull in comparison.
This post is nonsense. There is no way one can jump to a conclusion that because what ever statistic says(about the whole state), this amount of people are living in the state that they were born, that they(people in one particular city in that state) have not lived else where, and to take it a step further and say, they never traveled out their state is down right silly.

1. Louisiana 79.37%
2. Pennsylvania 77.72%
3. Michigan 75.37%
4. Iowa 74.78%
5. Ohio 74.74%
6. Mississippi 74.31%
7. West Virginia 74.24%
8. Kentucky 73.74%
9. Wisconsin 73.45%
10. Alabama 73.35%
11. North Dakota 72.51%
12. Minnesota 70.16%
13. Indiana 69.33%
14. South Dakota 68.08%
15. Missouri 67.78%
16. Maine 67.26%
17. Illinois 67.12%
18. Nebraska 67.07%
19. Massachusetts 66.10%
20. New York 65.26%

This is a ranking of the percentages of people who live in the state they were born. and Just like North Carolina, none of these statistics has anything to do with where they may have traveled, and whether or not they have lived else where. To make such a assumption about any of these places(who have more people living in the state they were born in) is erroneous.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Boring people will always be bored. Put a boring person in Las Vegas and they'll make it the least fun place on earth.

I have a TON of fun in Raleigh. Great friends, delicious restaurants, lively bars, wakeboarding and other lake activities, mountain biking, camping, great job, proximity to great surfing/beaches, proximity to mountains for skiing/snowboarding. The list goes on. There is literally not enough time in my days and weeks to experience all of the fun things that I wish to partake in (or enough money!).

I've seen or heard of venues for so many different activities/sites like paintball, horseback riding, arts, hiking, biking, shopping, broadway shows, etc... The list goes on and on and on and on.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM

169 posts, read 419,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
This post is nonsense. There is no way one can jump to a conclusion that because what ever statistic says(about the whole state), this amount of people are living in the state that they were born, that they(people in one particular city in that state) have not lived else where, and to take it a step further and say, they never traveled out their state is down right silly.

1. Louisiana 79.37%
2. Pennsylvania 77.72%
3. Michigan 75.37%
4. Iowa 74.78%
5. Ohio 74.74%
6. Mississippi 74.31%
7. West Virginia 74.24%
8. Kentucky 73.74%
9. Wisconsin 73.45%
10. Alabama 73.35%
11. North Dakota 72.51%
12. Minnesota 70.16%
13. Indiana 69.33%
14. South Dakota 68.08%
15. Missouri 67.78%
16. Maine 67.26%
17. Illinois 67.12%
18. Nebraska 67.07%
19. Massachusetts 66.10%
20. New York 65.26%

This is a ranking of the percentages of people who live in the state they were born. and Just like North Carolina, none of these statistics has anything to do with where they may have traveled, and whether or not they have lived else where. To make such a assumption about any of these places(who have more people living in the state they were born in) is erroneous.

You can say it's erroneous all you want, but the reality is, a lot of people never even travel outside of their home state. I never said it was a direct correlation, but to say it has no merit in this discussion is foolish IMHO.

And for people saying "You're wrong" to me, well, tell me how you can compare downtown Raleigh, or even any part of Raleigh, or all of Raleigh's attractions, vs just 5th and 6th street in Austin, or M street in DC, or Bourbon street in New Orleans, I mean I could go on for days. If you take everything in Raleigh worth seeing, it doesn't even match ONE street in many great cities. No character, few attractions.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Just because Raleigh lacks an "entertainment district" means it's a boring place? Oh come on

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
You can say it's erroneous all you want, but the reality is, a lot of people never even travel outside of their home state. I never said it was a direct correlation, but to say it has no merit in this discussion is foolish IMHO.

And for people saying "You're wrong" to me, well, tell me how you can compare downtown Raleigh, or even any part of Raleigh, or all of Raleigh's attractions, vs just 5th and 6th street in Austin, or M street in DC, or Bourbon street in New Orleans, I mean I could go on for days. If you take everything in Raleigh worth seeing, it doesn't even match ONE street in many great cities. No character, few attractions.

Excellent choice to not go on for days!
People who do are often more boring than the town they live in!

I've been to Bourbon Street, and hope to visit again sometime. Well, the French Quarter more than Bourbon Street itself.
I wasn't bored. Just like living in Cary. I am not bored here either.
I mean, I could go on for days about how I am not bored, but it might get tedious.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
I think that's the problem right there, I never compared downtown Raleigh or the Triangle to Austin, N'awlins, DC, etc.; I just said I didn't think the Triangle was boring. I laugh when people try and compare two places or want to make a certain place (i.e. the Triangle) like other places they have been to or lived in.

There's only one NYC, one Philly, one Chicago, one LA, one Miami, one Austin, one DC, etc. and only one Triangle. All of these places are unique, different and interesting, you just have to open your eyes and mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary