Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

9 posts, read 13,134 times

Advertisements

I am a Widowed mother with a daughter who will be attending High School in 2015. I am finally summoning the courage to go with my dream of moving Down South. Here is the problem, I am getting so much mixed information on the area's I would like to be. People are telling me we will not be welcome as new comers, the areas I look into on one site say they are rated high then somewhere else there are horrible things written. The whole High School thing is killing my nerves, lol. Can anyone help me? I truly appreciate it XO (A website said Apex, Cary, Wake Forest...but the school's have bad reviews, this is so confusing!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,831,990 times
The Raleigh/Durham area has had a tremendous amount of population growth in large part because of people moving to the area. You'll be just one more of those people, so I would not worry about it at all. We found it to be a very welcoming area and had no problems whatsoever. You'll be fine.

The Cary and Apex areas are simply wonderful, but you need to know that they do not have traditional town based school systems. That may very well be a shock for you. They are part of a county wide school system and as you can imagine, managing an enitire county based school system comes with a lot of issues which never seem to go away.

Overall it is a very nice place to live and we made and still have many friends from the area. (We semi-retired in Florida after leaving NC).

Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,946 times
With limited exception the High Schools are anywhere from very good to awesome. An important driver is the neighborhood you live in, just like it would be anywhere else. As well, regarding being a newcomer, assuming you're targeting areas within the Triangle proper, you're not going to be an outcast or treated poorly.

You really need to come visit and see for yourself. You can also arrange visits of possible schools so your daughter can get a feel for what they'd be like.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,726,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BinSC View Post
I am a Widowed mother with a daughter who will be attending High School in 2015. I am finally summoning the courage to go with my dream of moving Down South. Here is the problem, I am getting so much mixed information on the area's I would like to be. People are telling me we will not be welcome as new comers, the areas I look into on one site say they are rated high then somewhere else there are horrible things written. The whole High School thing is killing my nerves, lol. Can anyone help me? I truly appreciate it XO (A website said Apex, Cary, Wake Forest...but the school's have bad reviews, this is so confusing!!)
You should never move to somewhere you have not visited and liked, no matter how many website say so. Do you have a job that can transfer you, or independent wealth? If not, then job prospects should drive your move. There are many, many places that are "Down South" besides Apex, Cary, and Wake Forest. Your username mentions SC, so are you also thinking there?

I would say plan a trip to NC and SC and look around for what looks like it suits you best, with employment in mind if you'll need to work. Then start looking for jobs in that area. THEN, ask someone which school areas are best given that city.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,089,832 times
You will be welcome here the RTP area.

As others mentioned, the schools are mainly county-wide. There has been much trouble with overcrowding in some schools.

If this applies to you, be aware that public services are sparse compared to some other areas.

There is little or no public transit so vehicle expenses may increase for you.

Home prices and rents have been driven up in the last few years along with taxes.

If you buy, avoid propane heat and water service from the Aqua company like the plague.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Keep in mind, people get worked up over schools and due to the growth, there is lots of change, but the worst schools here are better than the good schools in some places.

Yes, there are some people that will not appreciate newcomers, but as mentioned, there are so many newcomers here, you can just ignore them. Honestly, sometimes the worst people are the ones that just moved here themselves. But either way, you will be part of a large number of newcomers so its no big deal.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,514,007 times
The best high schools in the RTP, according to US News and World reports are in Cary. NC only has 6 high schools ranked in the nation's top 1000 and two are in Cary.

http://goo.gl/4t2CHc

Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM

683 posts, read 1,874,562 times
Where are you hearing these horrible things?

Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,554,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The best high schools in the RTP, according to US News and World reports are in Cary. NC only has 6 high schools ranked in the nation's top 1000 and two are in Cary.

Search North Carolina High Schools | US News
Three are in Cary.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,200,545 times
How sad: the school my kid WOULD be in was #4 on the list for our previous state. Her current school isnt on any list here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary