Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

Here's some connections to start off:

Home

Durham Chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Incorporated

Durham (NC) Chapter The Links Inc. - Home

Go to the source, and you'll find the info you seek. The groups are very church-oriented, but you probably already knew that. Namaste ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Howdy!

Here's some connections to start off:

Home

Durham Chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Incorporated

Durham (NC) Chapter The Links Inc. - Home

Go to the source, and you'll find the info you seek. The groups are very church-oriented, but you probably already knew that. Namaste ...
Thanks for the information! I am not an overly religious person but I do want to be actively involved in the community. I'll check these links out.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Durham is a very exciting and vibrant city with a very interesting history. It has historically had a strong black middle class. The Hayti Heritage Center is based in the historic neighborhood of Hayti (Hay-tie, like tie your shoe, not like Haiti) where a lot of successful black merchants were based. NC Mutual Life Insurance is a great example of the kinds of successful businesses African Americans founded early on. Business in Black History: North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance - LA Sentinel North Carolina History Project : North Carolina Mutual Life

And of course, NC Central, HCBU, is in south central downtown Durham.

I think you can easily find your place in Durham.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Durham is a very exciting and vibrant city with a very interesting history. It has historically had a strong black middle class. The Hayti Heritage Center is based in the historic neighborhood of Hayti (Hay-tie, like tie your shoe, not like Haiti) where a lot of successful black merchants were based. NC Mutual Life Insurance is a great example of the kinds of successful businesses African Americans founded early on. Business in Black History: North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance - LA Sentinel North Carolina History Project : North Carolina Mutual Life

And of course, NC Central, HCBU, is in south central downtown Durham.

I think you can easily find your place in Durham.
Yeah. Durham has a wonderful history. It is a beautiful city.

Does it have a specific section/sections that are majority middle-class black residents, though?

Old 12-25-2014, 02:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah. Durham has a wonderful history. It is a beautiful city.

Does it have a specific section/sections that are majority middle-class black residents, though?
Interesting that the University of Wisconsin did this study, but here is some info:

Black-White Housing Patterns in Raleigh

This thread came up before, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...gh-durham.html

Hayti was mentioned. I would also recommend that you start with any of the HBCUs in the area and look in those areas, as the neighborhoods that are known colloquially as "sketchy" tend to be more economically integrated that it appears at first blush. You can have one block with middle-class folks, with maybe 1 weird neighbor on the block, and then another block that is "sketchy" and then it goes back to middle-class.

Again, the HBCUs are basically rooted in the traditionally black neighborhoods so you generally want to start there.

To that end, there is not a neighborhood on the level of, say, PG county in Maryland. It's pretty easy to say that PG county is simply the largest and most concentrated area of middle-class and upper-middle-class black folks, but even there, you will find "sketchy blocks" in the midst of $700k+ homes.

Growing up in the area in a "Jack and Jill" sort of environment, I can say that many of the traditionally middle-class black neighborhoods have been gentrified and now bear little resemblance to what they were before. That's why I'd recommend starting with the HBCUs; the internet has allowed a chance for community outside of physical proximity. There's a lot of info and lots of folks on Twitter and the like and everyone is connected that way, even if they are not living in the same neighborhood.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Durham is kinda funky with its neighborhoods and you can have some Very Nice Homes and turn the corner into Sketchyville and turn another corner back into another area of Very Nice Homes. I do think a lot of the neighborhoods are racially pretty diverse (not so many all white neighborhoods, if any). Check out the area around NC Central. I don't know it well enough to say where Very Nice-ville is and where Sketchyville is, although I do know a couple of people who teach there.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool6972 View Post
As a former resident and someone who is from and grew up in Downtown Durham, I can tell you that is IS NOT where you want to live since you are a professional and not a "thug." Not joking.

Hope Valley area near Southpoint is nice, as well as anywhere near Duke. Downtown is cheap, but is also the ghetto, full of crime, but honestly as of late has become more Hispanic than black, and crime has increased to even higher levels. Bethesda, Raleigh Glenwood area, or Morrisville/Carpenter area is a reasonable commute to Durham as well.
I don't think you have been to downtown Durham in probably a decade

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
I think people here tend to be well intentioned but are a little uninformed.

Durham is a very diverse city so it would be fairly difficult to be in an area where you would feel out of place. Not saying there aren't pockets - but more likely than not, you will feel comfortable.

I would recommend looking around Ellis Rd & S. Alston Ave. Maybe even the southern part of MLK Pkwy. Avoid living around Southpoint unless you enjoy unnecessary traffic and higher rental prices. Those areas I mentioned tend to be quiet, are close to RTP (probably the best commute you'd find in the Triangle), and there has been new construction aimed at attracting people like you - white collar RTP transplants.

Here's an example that's just slightly north of your budget: Phillips Research Park - Brand New Luxury Apartments Next to Research Triangle Park in Durham, NC

Here's another: South Durham NC Apartments | Bainbridge in the Park Apartments in Durham NC

The reason why those (RTP) people more often than not choose Wake suburbs is a mix of reputation, demographics, and schools.

The local high school for that area is Hillside - you can do a quick internet search to get a feel & understanding for the demographics for that area/school (it's frowned upon to point out the obvious here... but let's just say it's what you're looking for). The area is safe, mostly quiet, and out of the way. In addition to being a quick commute to RTP, you're also close to Southpoint, downtown, Brier Creek, and all major highways in the area. Once you learn all the back roads you won't have to deal with much traffic either.

The other area I would recommend, and where I have enjoyed living in the past, is the Braggtown neighborhood. It's a historically black community, that unlike Hayti, was not destroyed in the 50's and 60's. It's on the other side of town though, and while it would fit most of your needs, the downside is your commute to work would go from 10-15 minutes to 25-30. Maybe more if you would be commuting during 'rush hour'.

Another important thing to mention: the area immediately surrounding NC Central has more than a few public housing communities, low income apartments, and homeless shelters. This is a sad fact & not prejudice. It's not the nicest looking area and while there are some streets/neighborhoods that are 'okay', these are houses and filled with long-time residents from the area. Coming from Atlanta you would most likely find it po'dunk & depressing. Just how I see it. Most of the students I've known at Central that came from out of state have expressed that. Generally people here tell others to avoid that area, so I'm a little surprised to see the tables turned. It's not where I would recommend looking to rent.

Good luck

Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 25,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanluvsTen View Post
What is the fastest internet speed available in Durham?[/b] (I currently get 105/50 in Atlanta, but that is with Comcast which is not available in the area.) Does TWC/Frontier offer anything faster than 50/5?
In the area, the advertised TWC tiers are supposed to go up by a factor of ~2-5x during end of 2015 as they introduce "twc maxx".

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Yes, Durham county in general and Durham city as well have significant AA populations--in fact there is a lot of history there of some of the earliest Black-run businesses in the area (The Mutual building downtown, one of the tallest buildings in downtown, was a Black-owned insurance company, for example).

Avoid the East/Southeast part of Durham which as others have said, and you would know instantly, is "the Hood". But the racial diversity of the city, whatever the neighborhood, is a great mix, and I can't imagine that there's any neighborhood that would be too Lily-White for you too feel comfortable. I might suggest just north of downtown, some of the older areas, but really, a drive around the city will show you lots of places.

The City-Data page on Durham has a lot of info, but the map feature is really cool; you can change the drop-down to any number of Census factors, including race, to see where the concentration is (though recall what I said above about "The 'Hood" just Southeast of downtown. You might want to look at both the racial mix and income to find more middle-upper class neighborhoods with more diversity.

But really, someone who TRIED to find an area in Durham with no Black neighbors would have a hard time doing so. It's a great city with a mix of all kinds, and a Renaissance going on with so much new stuff going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary