Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:49 PM

32 posts, read 30,681 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently have $500 to put down on a vehicle and work a very part-time job (I make at most $600 a month). Is there a used dealership in the Raleigh area (preferably SW Raleigh) that I would be able to find a vehicle within my price range and maybe do a buy here, pay here deal? As long as it is an automatic, I am pretty lenient on the make and model.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:07 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Drive Time and JD Byrider specialize in these transactions.

They offer some type of warranty.

However, if the cost of owning and operating a vehicle are beyond your means, you might try to find a job reachable by public transit.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
all up and down 401, south of the beltline to Fuquay, there are a lot of places like this. As Saturnfan said, you're really going to be stretching yourself when considering insurance, maintenance, and all other costs. Might want to save up more and/or consider options.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 30,681 times
I live in the NCSU area and there are very limited positions that are not taken by students or places that are hiring for a time that meets my availability (I am working on a degree). Fortunately (and unfortunately) I have found a position in Garner and am paid well per hour, but I cannot do as many hours due to sharing a vehicle. I could absolutely get more hours if I were to have my own vehicle.
Basically, I am looking for a cheap, reliable vehicle for the time being and then I will purchase an even more reliable vehicle since I will be able to pick up more hours. The position in Garner is not too far away, but if I were to use public transportation it would take nearly three times the time to get to my place of employment as it would to drive. That would not be an issue if I did not have children...

So, long story short, I need a cheap vehicle until I can save up for an even better vehicle.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I personally like buying used cars from new car dealers. For the budget buyer they sometimes have dependable late model cars that they can sale at a good price. They are usually sitting around somewhere in the back of the dealership and usually never make it to the used car lot. Never hurts to ask around.

I just bought a used Chevrolet 1500 from Heister Chevrolet in Fuquay. They had it priced within the NADA price guideline, so I said what the heck. I drove it to the beach yesterday to give it the test.She performed quite good, and I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase. "I got off my keister and headed to Heister"

Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisToo View Post
I live in the NCSU area and there are very limited positions that are not taken by students or places that are hiring for a time that meets my availability (I am working on a degree). Fortunately (and unfortunately) I have found a position in Garner and am paid well per hour, but I cannot do as many hours due to sharing a vehicle. I could absolutely get more hours if I were to have my own vehicle.
Basically, I am looking for a cheap, reliable vehicle for the time being and then I will purchase an even more reliable vehicle since I will be able to pick up more hours. The position in Garner is not too far away, but if I were to use public transportation it would take nearly three times the time to get to my place of employment as it would to drive. That would not be an issue if I did not have children...

So, long story short, I need a cheap vehicle until I can save up for an even better vehicle.
Cheap and reliable usually do not go together.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I personally like buying used cars from new car dealers. For the budget buyer they sometimes have dependable late model cars that they can sale at a good price. They are usually sitting around somewhere in the back of the dealership and usually never make it to the used car lot. Never hurts to ask around.

I just bought a used Chevrolet 1500 from Heister Chevrolet in Fuquay. They had it priced within the NADA price guideline, so I said what the heck. I drove it to the beach yesterday to give it the test.She performed quite good, and I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase. "I got off my keister and headed to Heister"
I saw some very poorly prepped used cars at franchised dealers. Not what I expected.

When I traded a really great car to my dealer and saw it on the used lot, I was surprised at the lack of good preparation.

My philosophy is to purchase a base model new and get a 3 year warranty. Just leave off the options.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post

Not to be contradictory (so correct me if I'm wrong), but new car lots typically wont' sell cars that are super cheap (OP is looking in the $500 range, I think). They usually send those off to auction.

I've had my best luck on super-cheap cars either on CL or on the side of the road, but ANY time you buy a car that cheap, you are taking a risk. The good news is that you won't have much in it, the bad news is that reliability is very "digital", either it runs or (suddenly) it doesn't. I've had good luck with the two $500 cars I bought in the past. Had bad luck with a $3k car.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

My philosophy is to purchase a base model new and get a 3 year warranty. Just leave off the options.
Oh absolutely. We always buy base model new.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not to be contradictory (so correct me if I'm wrong), but new car lots typically wont' sell cars that are super cheap (OP is looking in the $500 range, I think). They usually send those off to auction.
Most probably do go to auction, but it never hurts to ask if you sit something sitting around the back. I struck up a deal at Bobby Murray several years ago on a cheap Malibu...a car that would have never made it to their dealership used car lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary