Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,243,562 times

Advertisements

Saw an ad today that channel 5 (local CBS) will start a 4 p.m. local newscast on Fox 50 starting January 12. I know channel 11 (local ABC) also has a 4 p.m. local newscast.

Not sure how many people are at home at 4 p.m. to watch. Thinking people are at work or driving the kids from school to activities.

Is there a market for all the news programs?

I think we have local news from 4:30-9 a.m., 12 noon - 1 p.m., 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., and 10 p.m. - 11:35 p.m. There is a lot of repeats on the news, and kind of sad/hilarious to see them figure out places outside of Wake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM

494 posts, read 813,152 times
I think it must be cheaper to have the employees on the air than other programming. I think the NBC station has news from 7:30pm too.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,529,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
I think it must be cheaper to have the employees on the air than other programming. I think the NBC station has news from 7:30pm too.
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner. It's all about revenue. As you point out, you're already paying for reporters, producers, photojournalist, et.al. Why would you not run that in-house programming as much possible (and as Raleigh viewers will soon find out, you'll see the same stuff over and over and over again).

Also, it's more than just keeping test patterns off the air. With syndicated programming, in addition to paying a fee for the show the stations are also giving a percentage of saleable commercial time up as well. With 'news', they keep all the proceeds. $$$$$$$.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,212,206 times
I've pretty much given up on watching local news. Most of it isn't even local, just sensational stuff about wildfires and bank robberies in other states that is the TV equivalent of "click bait". These days I don't even bother with the national nightly news beyond the first 5-10 minutes. I usually scan online news sites for headlines and in-depth articles about pressing topics or subjects that are of interest to me.

Investigative reporting will always be important and I'm interested in keeping current on politics and current affairs, but most of what is broadcast via television news is not "news" at all.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 AM

11,201 posts, read 8,238,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Investigative reporting will always be important and I'm interested in keeping current on politics and current affairs, but most of what is broadcast via television news is not "news" at all.
Agreed, you won't get in-depth anything watching the news. America is way too satisfied with little snippets and soundbites, rather than reading in-depth articles in rags like WSJ, Economist, and the like. People need to be willing to read articles, and actually PARTICIPATE in the discussion. Doesn't matter which side of the issues you are on either, need to get some balance, and local news won't give that with a 30-second story.

That being said, I'm happy for the change. Right now WRAL has a Soap opera on at 4PM. I'd much rather put the news on in the background, get a chance to see the weather to plan my outdoor activities while I'm cooking dinner or scanning the intra-webs, or taking a siesta. (I officially get off work at 430, but can get out earlier on some days.)

Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Sadly the only time there's any investigative reporting on television is during 'sweeps' week, and it usually amounts to ginning up some non-issue that's titillating or just plain easy to stunt. PBS still takes it fairly seriously, "60 Minutes" gave up years ago and "20/20", "Dateline" and the rest never were in it other than the aforementioned stunting.

I guess all those kids that went to J-school after Woodward & Bernstein made being a reporter cool again simply gave up or more likely just weren't pretty or handsome enough to do serious work and draw the kind of numbers the broadcast companies needed to keep the investors fat and happy.

I came to peace with the realization years ago. The only thing that rankles me now is way too many of the people in broadcast news still seem to believe they are doing something important and vital when in fact they are simply talking heads in-between commercials selling soap. Just ask them, generally speaking a very thin-skinned bunch of folks. Granted, it's never nice to hear that your efforts at work are basically for naught, but if you ever get in a deep discussion with a TV reporter and offer evidence about how they've pissed away a very important function of how democracy should work they will usually will concede that for them it's all about either moving to a bigger market ($$$$) or if they're really honest, keeping commerce thriving.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,901,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Sadly the only time there's any investigative reporting on television is during 'sweeps' week, and it usually amounts to ginning up some non-issue that's titillating or just plain easy to stunt. PBS still takes it fairly seriously, "60 Minutes" gave up years ago and "20/20", "Dateline" and the rest never were in it other than the aforementioned stunting.

I guess all those kids that went to J-school after Woodward & Bernstein made being a reporter cool again simply gave up or more likely just weren't pretty or handsome enough to do serious work and draw the kind of numbers the broadcast companies needed to keep the investors fat and happy.

I came to peace with the realization years ago. The only thing that rankles me now is way too many of the people in broadcast news still seem to believe they are doing something important and vital when in fact they are simply talking heads in-between commercials selling soap. Just ask them, generally speaking a very thin-skinned bunch of folks. Granted, it's never nice to hear that your efforts at work are basically for naught, but if you ever get in a deep discussion with a TV reporter and offer evidence about how they've pissed away a very important function of how democracy should work they will usually will concede that for them it's all about either moving to a bigger market ($$$$) or if they're really honest, keeping commerce thriving.
Perhaps -- but I would invite you to visit the WRAL web site and note the very in-depth coverage they have of state government, work by Laura Leslie and others on their capitol team. (@NCCapitol)

Those stories do not make the air in that depth, but I am amazed at the quality and consistency of the reporting, writing and analysis.

I (a journalism aficionado) never expected to say this about a TV station vs. a newspaper, but I would daresay that WRAL's statehouse reporting is almost as good as the N&O's; when you factor in the fact that there's no paywall between readers and the content as the N&O has I would daresay that their reporting has a greater reach than the N&O these days.

In general, WRAL's news (web and TV) is a far sight better in quality than the schlock and pablum at ABC 11 or WNCN, in my opinion. The Indy is a fine source, too, though less fine since it traded a Durham city councilman's ownership (Schewel) for a former Raleigh mayor's brother's (Meeker); WUNC does a strong job of programming overall, and Stasio is great, but would love to see the kind of in-depth reporting that WRAL provides on state issues. Leslie is a former WUNC'er, by the way.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Perhaps -- but I would invite you to visit the WRAL web site and note the very in-depth coverage they have of state government, work by Laura Leslie and others on their capitol team. (@NCCapitol)

Those stories do not make the air in that depth, but I am amazed at the quality and consistency of the reporting, writing and analysis.

I (a journalism aficionado) never expected to say this about a TV station vs. a newspaper, but I would daresay that WRAL's statehouse reporting is almost as good as the N&O's; when you factor in the fact that there's no paywall between readers and the content as the N&O has I would daresay that their reporting has a greater reach than the N&O these days.

In general, WRAL's news (web and TV) is a far sight better in quality than the schlock and pablum at ABC 11 or WNCN, in my opinion. The Indy is a fine source, too, though less fine since it traded a Durham city councilman's ownership (Schewel) for a former Raleigh mayor's brother's (Meeker); WUNC does a strong job of programming overall, and Stasio is great, but would love to see the kind of in-depth reporting that WRAL provides on state issues. Leslie is a former WUNC'er, by the way.
I would agree with you that Leslie seems to be doing relatively solid work, but when your news org relegates something as important as political reporting to "if you want the who, what, where and why... go to our website" that doesn't show much in the way of commitment to exploiting the power of your medium. Particularly if you're shorting that coverage to make room for restaurant cleanliness reports WITH WACKY SOUND EFFECTS.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the Indy. It's sister publication in Portland (Willamette Week) does some pretty solid work (a couple of Pulitzer's IIRC) Aren't they only a year into the new ownership?

As I mentioned PBS (and it's radio counterpart, NPR) are in the game for in a admirable way. Stasio is doing some of the best radio in the country. Unfortunately there aren't enough CNN or national news org alums that decided to chuck it and do some real work to go around...

Good post Bull!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 35,214 times
I can't stand WRAL. I don't like all the dumb-down and the "humor." The weather people especially. Greg Fishel makes me want to throw something at the TV! I put that in quotation marks because in order to be true humor, it must be FUNNY. Plus I have watched WTVD11's Larry Stogner since I was a kid. So far as times go, I only watch at 6pm and 11pm, the original times. I can't imagine why anyone would watch from 4-7 straight through. It is the same thing every timeslot!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 AM

610 posts, read 743,339 times
The local news is frustrating. They repeat the same story a million times and it wasn't so hot the first time. And WNCN with their "brake for buses" "campaign." Sorry guys, a hashtag campaign won't do jack but give you PR. Hitting offenders with big tickets (like they did in my former state) works.

There seems to be so little local news that adding more seems a bit futile to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary