Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into relocating in Chapel Hill but noticed this past summer the area just about ran out of water. Is the area brown from not being able to water your lawns? How will people adjust to a severe water shortage? I would imagine that it would impact people's lives quite a bit, to the point where it might have an effect on the standard of living and/or the quality of life.

I am living in Boulder where there is a moderate shortage of water, despite the copious amounts of snow that we get in the mountains, but it seems nothing like the drought in NC.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Water has always been an issue in Orange County. Some years worse than others. When I was in school at UNC, we had such severe droughts they even limited the showers in the dorms! This year seems to be worse than in the past 15, but has been managed relatively well --so far. At least better than Durham and Wake Counties. Everyone in the Triangle is affected, and the Governor has called for massive reductions in water usage. He is going to try to employ "incentives" such as increasing water rates during drought periods (at least that's being proposed for Wake county). Chapel Hill is used to this, and tends to immediately go into conservation mode without even being asked. But the more people who move to the area, the worse it will get simply b/c of supply and demand. Time will only tell....

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Water has always been an issue in Orange County. Some years worse than others. When I was in school at UNC, we had such severe droughts they even limited the showers in the dorms! This year seems to be worse than in the past 15, but has been managed relatively well --so far. At least better than Durham and Wake Counties. Everyone in the Triangle is affected, and the Governor has called for massive reductions in water usage. He is going to try to employ "incentives" such as increasing water rates during drought periods (at least that's being proposed for Wake county). Chapel Hill is used to this, and tends to immediately go into conservation mode without even being asked. But the more people who move to the area, the worse it will get simply b/c of supply and demand. Time will only tell....
Thanks ausmerika,

But what I would like to know is the area brown all the time because of lack of watering? I lived most of my life on the east coast and have become quite fond of forests and lush landscaping. If you can't even water your lawn I would imagine that all the lawns would be brown, right?

Just curious as the scenery of a place is either a big draw or a big detrement when considering a move.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Even with the recent lack of water, my lawn and all of my neighbors' lawns are still green. And I never, ever water my lawn. Don't know the reason, but maybe it has to do with the fact that there are lots of large, old trees in our neighborhood. It's an older neighborhood that was constructed in the '80s, when builders did everything possible to preserve trees on lots.

I'm sure if we had been subjected to the relentless 100-degree temps last August along with no shade trees resulting in almost constant sun on long summer days, our lawns would be pretty much toast.
toodie

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
It could also be bermuda grass (like what is often used on golf courses)--it always browns in the winter (regardless of the amt of water), and is always the greenest in the dead of summer when everything else has turned.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,807 times
Can someone explain to me why the area seems to be in short supply of water? Just curious as to what the situation is there.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Can someone explain to me why the area seems to be in short supply of water? Just curious as to what the situation is there.
We're in the worst drought since they started keeping records.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Water will become the new oil. I'm grateful to be living in the Great Lakes basin.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 AM

403 posts, read 929,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I have been looking into relocating in Chapel Hill but noticed this past summer the area just about ran out of water. Is the area brown from not being able to water your lawns? How will people adjust to a severe water shortage? I would imagine that it would impact people's lives quite a bit, to the point where it might have an effect on the standard of living and/or the quality of life.

I am living in Boulder where there is a moderate shortage of water, despite the copious amounts of snow that we get in the mountains, but it seems nothing like the drought in NC.

Thanks for your help.
^^
We've experienced quite a drought this year, but believe it or not--it's still very green in many spots. Some grass has browned due to the season, but I was driving around the area the other day and mentioned that to a friend of mine. It's generally a very "green" place--North Carolina. It appears we're beginning to get in to a bit of wetter pattern here, so hopefully that continues.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
people keep moving here, business keep moving here (both good things) but city planners and developers make little (if any) plans for the new usage. Often the plans they do decide on take a year or more to implement...You add on the fact we are in a drought, and it only gets worse....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary