Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,647 times

Advertisements

I just moved here a week ago Saturday and attended Mass at St Francis of Assisi Church for the second time. This is a BIG Catholic church and was crowded to overflowing with families with children. The pastor asked how many people there were from North Carolina and a handful (I would say under 10 but couldn't see everywhere) raised their hands. Then he asked how many for someplace else and the whole church (about raised their hands). I thought it was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
I just moved here a week ago Saturday and attended Mass at St Francis of Assisi Church for the second time. This is a BIG Catholic church and was crowded to overflowing with families with children. The pastor asked how many people there were from North Carolina and a handful (I would say under 10 but couldn't see everywhere) raised their hands. Then he asked how many for someplace else and the whole church (about raised their hands). I thought it was interesting.
Doesn't suprise me one bit. I find it interesting that our Governor is Catholic. I think I heard somewhere that when he was growing up there were only like 10,000 Catholics in the whole state. Within the next 10-20 years I'd say Catholics here will be growing like crazy (as they are now). PS - I'm a Catholic, but only really go to mass on Easter and Christmas when I go back to VA to see family...yes I'm a bad boy ;-)

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM

71 posts, read 217,215 times
The European immigrants that settled NC and most of the south in the 1600 - 1800 time period - the English, Germans, Scotch-Irish ect. - were mostly protestants. The state did not receive much immigration from catholic countries such as Italy, which is why you would be hard-pressed to find a "native" catholic in NC. In fact, Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians dominated the state until quite recently. This still can be seen this in rural areas.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM

I was really happy to find such a large vibrant Catholic Church near me. There are others closer but I really do love St. Francis and the Franciscans. Traditionalists wouldn't be pleased with this church, there are no kneelers, people stand for the gospel and the consecration. (This is within church law, but I have never encountered it before.) I am very pleased though, so many young people, young families, children, etc. etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 PM

214 posts, read 701,961 times
I would also add that they put a bigger push on you to tithe here than my parish ever did in Mass. I actually have met quite a few native Catholics here which surprised me because coming here, I was told I would have to travel to go to a catholic church and I would be in the minority. I have not found that to be the case at all.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 PM

59 posts, read 151,650 times
Quote:
I think this has more to do with location than anything else. If you go to almost any smaller church in an area besides Cary, Apex, & North Raleigh, I'm sure a majority of its members will be natives. The areas where the biggest Catholic churches are located are also the most popular locations for transplants.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Traditionalists wouldn't be pleased with this church, there are no kneelers, people stand for the gospel and the consecration. (This is within church law, but I have never encountered it before.)
I'm a cradle Southern Catholic and have never been to a Mass where you did not stand during the gospel, although I agree that no kneelers is different. You'll find the Masses at St. Francis are geared towards particular groups. The Sunday 7:30 is more for older parishioners - fewer kids at that Mass, the Sunday 9:30 is more for kids and there are a ton, and Sunday 5:30 is for teens and often has drums and trumpets as part of the music program. St. Raphael has Jesuit priests so it is very traditional. Our Lady of Lourdes' pastor (Fr. Forbes) actually went to the school when he was in 8th grade and later went to Cardinal Gibbons high school, so he has close ties to the church and school. Catholics are still a minority in NC and there is still alot of misconceptions about our faith. I would encourage you to know your faith so when you are challenged (and believe me you will be) you can give an accurate and informed response.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks mfrank. In Maryland, where I have spent all my life, we kneel for the consecration. I like St Francis because my grandchildren are 3 and 5 and the 9:30 does have a children's liturgy of the word. I LOVE the Franciscans because of the great support my husband and I received from them during his long battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease.) I think I know my faith, but we all have more to learn. Thanks for your post!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
I agree with you about the Fransicans and St. Francis - great church with great priests. Glad you found a church you like. Easter Vigil Mass is beautiful there as well as Christmas Midnight Mass. I used to attend St. Raphael but when the Jesuits came, they weren't as friendly and open so I didn't enjoy going to Mass as much and switched to St. Francis.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
St. Catherine of Sienna in Wake Forest is also over flowing with its current mass schedule and church size. So lot of Catholics up in Wake Forest too. Church has kneeler's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary