Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM

20 posts, read 30,741 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just to give you some background , I am single and currently own a house near South Durham about 3 miles from SouthPoint mall. I have lived in this house for past 10 years.

I don't like how the area has changed over the years and now looking to move. I work near Davis Drive and would like to keep my commute under 30 mins if at all possible.

I have done some preliminary searches and its not looking so hot - i need to keep the new home price around $250k. I am leaning towards a new build and don't care much for town homes which seem to be ridiculously over priced @ $200k+ for recent or new builds

I did find a builder (Centex) in Fuquay which is on the edge of what i consider a reasonable commute. The problem is Fuquay would likely lack the diversity that i have become accustom to in Durham (could be wrong on that).

Can folks suggest a general area to begin my search?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
If you are willing to buy a resale I think you can easily find what you want.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Did you mean Reasearch Triangle Park area (RTP) or the
raleigh/durham area ??

Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 PM

I mean RTP. My current home is in South Durham and work situation is in RTP.

I am considering Mooresville and Apex and maybe Brier Creek. I am not at all familiar with Raleigh.

Not thrilled about resale but i think Kelly is right... that might be the best solution. I would want a house not more than 5 years old

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I can't imagine what detached new construction you'd find in Wake County within a true commute-time 30 minutes of your work, unless you're also committed to using the toll road.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:50 PM

40 posts, read 43,357 times
Check Keystone Crossing in Morrisville. I think the prices there may fall into your range.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM

I will check that out infinite... Is that the 27560 zip code? Looks like a lot of town-homes. I would likely pass on that. Not a good buy IMHO and HOA headaches too. I have been looking for resales as suggested in the thread.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
So, you're open to resales? You should be able to find a resale within less than 30 minutes to Davis Drive as long as you're not expecting a luxury executive mansion. And by "resales" I definitely do mean more than 5 years old.

Plenty of people here live in homes that are resales that are more than 5 years old and they're in excellent shape. You need a home that's been maintained/updated well. Houses aren't supposed to be disposable. If it's held up well and it's 15 years old, you know you got a good deal. You're also likely to get a larger lot. If I was shopping for a SFH in your price range you couldn't make me buy new construction because it's just not worth it.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
For example: This home is in a highly-desirable area and right off 55.

Easy access to Davis and RTP.

Lower than what you are willing to spend. Looks quite good.

What would be wrong with this house?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...54-52414?row=1

I mean, it's an example. For all I know, this house might have issues. These are just pics and prices.

Actually, this one looks a bit better just by the photos:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

I don't know how many BRs you need, but I think these 3BR units don't move as quickly as 4BR, due to people wanting enough room for multiple kids and home offices and all, but in the 250k price range in this area, without going for a townhouse, this is what you can find that's still in a good area and is fairly new (though not as new as you are saying you want).

Or... and newish place in Amberly (it's 8 years old): http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 PM

RedZin thanks for the reality check. I do agree its wise to adjust to a resale property - i found plenty of stuff in my price range for resale homes 10+ years - i just need to be careful, i don't want to be doing costly repairs right after purchase.

I think i will start with Mooresville and work my way to Apex. Not really considering Raleigh at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary