Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Did you read what you wrote? So because car drivers are being reckless we should ban bicycles on the road?

I know very well what I wrote. This area has many 4-lane roads where the speed limit is 45 mph, but most drivers are going around 60 mph. The average speed of a bicycle rider is 15 mph. With the traffic increasing every year in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary, how is this going to fair in the future? Slow-moving bicycles reduce the efficiency of the roads, cause backups and many drivers are also afraid to go around them, causing even more problems during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I have only one beef with any cyclists. I don't like cyclists who want to use the public roadways, but don't want to follow all the traffic laws.

Fortunately, these cyclists seem to be few and far between, but those are the only ones I can honestly say have ever made me shake my head. You can't ignore the traffic lights while on your bike. It's a terrible idea.

All that said, seeing leisure cyclists out biking during rush hour always strikes me as odd. That's the worst time to bike.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
....I can't count on one hand the number of times I've been "inconvenienced" by a cyclist in the 8 years I've lived in the triangle and driven thousands of miles. On the other hand, I could go on and on about distracted drivers, lookie-loos, and Sunday drivers who've made me question the future of our species.

The bicyclist's reason for using the road is none of your business, none of my business, and should have no bearing on their right to use it. Sometimes I like to ride my bike to the store or commute to work as a means of transportation AND exercise. You can't separate the two, and to suggest that bicyclists have no right to use the road because it doesn't fit your narrow definition is narrow-minded and arrogant.
You can't count on one hand because there were too many instances or too few? Because if it's too few, drive up and down Norwood Road in North Raleigh between 7:00 AM and 8:00 AM or between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM on days when the weather is cooperating; you'll need to borrow a few hands to count the roving packs of cyclists.

If there's a sizable number of cyclists using roads for transportation, then the municipalities should provide properly marked bike lanes. Because a bike is not a motor vehicle and to insist that the two modes of transportation coexist and share the same infrastructure is insane. And you're wrong in suggesting that the purpose or intent isn't germane; if exercising cyclists have a right to use the road then so to does every other person exercising, which makes about as much sense.

If you're okay with driving fifteen miles an hour while rushing to get somewhere because someone is riding their bicycle on a two lane road and the lead driver is too skittish to pass them, that's awesome - you have patience in abundance. I however detest being delayed because some Tour de France wannabe is exercising their legal right to slow traffic to a crawl. And why do they have to always wear those garish, ill-fitting outfits?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:18 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have only one beef with any cyclists. I don't like cyclists who want to use the public roadways, but don't want to follow all the traffic laws.

Fortunately, these cyclists seem to be few and far between, but those are the only ones I can honestly say have ever made me shake my head. You can't ignore the traffic lights while on your bike. It's a terrible idea.

All that said, seeing leisure cyclists out biking during rush hour always strikes me as odd. That's the worst time to bike.
How do you know they are leisurly? Serious question. I don't bike commute all that often (not nearly enough), but when I do, I leave my work cloths at work the day before, so I can ride cycling cloths on the bike. Cycling cloths because 1) I'm more visible to cars, which enhances my safety and helps drivers to avoid the "runner in black garb surprise syndrome", and 2) riding in work cloths for over an hour would be painful for me (Chafing) and painful for my coworkers (sweat).

I agree with your first comments. Gotta give respect if you want to get it. The only exception about traffic lights is if I roll up to a red light, come to a stop, and no cars are around I'll go when it's safe. Like Motorcycles, a bike can't trip the light, so sometimes you have to treat it like a stop-sign. I share your disdain for people who blow through lights (whatever mode of transportation they are on).

As for the leisurly rides: If I'm going to ride around rush hour, it's either going to be on designated bike paths, or (better yet) in the woods on my mountainbike. There is nothing leisurely about riding a bike on a busy road, being buzzed by cars at 3x your speed. Not my ideal of fun.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
How do you know they are leisurly? Serious question. I don't bike commute all that often (not nearly enough), but when I do, I leave my work cloths at work the day before, so I can ride cycling cloths on the bike. Cycling cloths because 1) I'm more visible to cars, which enhances my safety and helps drivers to avoid the "runner in black garb surprise syndrome", and 2) riding in work cloths for over an hour would be painful for me (Chafing) and painful for my coworkers (sweat).

I agree with your first comments. Gotta give respect if you want to get it. The only exception about traffic lights is if I roll up to a red light, come to a stop, and no cars are around I'll go when it's safe. Like Motorcycles, a bike can't trip the light, so sometimes you have to treat it like a stop-sign. I share your disdain for people who blow through lights (whatever mode of transportation they are on).

As for the leisurly rides: If I'm going to ride around rush hour, it's either going to be on designated bike paths, or (better yet) in the woods on my mountainbike. There is nothing leisurely about riding a bike on a busy road, being buzzed by cars at 3x your speed. Not my ideal of fun.
Because they aren't wearing work clothes OR proper cycling garments and they seem utterly baffled as to where they are going or any sort of rules of the road while biking

OR

They are in a huge pack and all wearing similar cycling garments (typically with the same logos/advertising), yet there is no bike race scheduled for that day. Nor are they headed toward any area that's a likely center for business or commerce where so many cyclists are likely to be jumping off bikes, heading in to the office, and taking a shower/donning work attire.

Generally, the people I know who bike to work wear appropriate cycling gear and are alone or with 1-2 other cyclists that work with them.

This area is far too spread out as far as centers of employment go to see people headed south down Cary Parkway at 8am and honestly believe that large group is headed to work. Okay, maybe they're headed to a retail job someplace, but I am skeptical.

I'm not going to throw trash at them or run them over with my automobile, mind you. I just find their timing to be disrespectful of the people who are hurrying to work/school.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
FWIW, I found that the people who ride in large groups are typically (not always) the worst offenders. There is one specific shop that has the worst reputation (I won't say their name here, I think it may break a rule), but the non A-hole cyclists HATE this particular bike shop because people wearing their outfits seem to generate the most rage against cyclists.

I stopped riding in big groups a few years back, mostly for the reasons you stated (and my own personal safety). The most I'll ride with on the road is one or two other people (usually alone) and it will be on very rural roads, usually on a weekend morning when traffic is least. It just suits me better that way.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
FWIW, I found that the people who ride in large groups are typically (not always) the worst offenders. There is one specific shop that has the worst reputation (I won't say their name here, I think it may break a rule), but the non A-hole cyclists HATE this particular bike shop because people wearing their outfits seem to generate the most rage against cyclists.

I stopped riding in big groups a few years back, mostly for the reasons you stated (and my own personal safety). The most I'll ride with on the road is one or two other people (usually alone) and it will be on very rural roads, usually on a weekend morning when traffic is least. It just suits me better that way.
I suspect you and I are talking about the same group.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
The group rides are the biggest problem. It's a shame the group name can't be spoken here.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 AM

347 posts, read 521,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
If you lived on Walnut St. and had to make a U turn to enter your driveway it wouldn't seem minor to you. That was the plan to add a median which would have impacted multiple homeowners so a bike lane could be created oh and also so it could have pretty landscaping in the middle. I think they made the right decision.
This is the problem, isn't it? "Bicyclists shouldn't use the same lanes as automobiles but we're unwilling to make concessions to give them their own lanes because we may be inconvenienced."

Old 01-09-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The group rides are the biggest problem. It's a shame the group name can't be spoken here.

You amused me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary