Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biggest college fan base in the Triangle
UNC-Chapel Hill 21 37.50%
NC State 25 44.64%
Duke 5 8.93%
Wake Forest 1 1.79%
ECU 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 PM

6,310 posts, read 5,398,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
CHTransplant, I think you and I travel in pretty different circles.

I know plenty of UNC fans who go to the games, watch the away games on TV in a big festive crowd, and are generally very vocal about their support of the team. I know one person who is a vocal State fan. She lives in Raleigh. I know a couple of other State alums, but they don't talk fan talk. Almost everybody else I know is a Carolina fan, although I do have a couple of cousins that went to ECU. I know folks who work at Duke, but I don't know any actual Duke fans that I can think of.

My facebook feed is full of chatter about games and selfies of folks at the games. And the occasional selfie of the one friend tailgating at State football games.
State fans are more obnoxious so they think that means they have more team spirit....or something like that. "Wine and Cheese" crowd being their top insult for UNC fans is always a dead give away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM

6,310 posts, read 5,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
As a UNC grad, I agree that State has a very enthusiastic fanbase, especially in Wake County. I'm not so sure that it's something to brag about, however, because that hunger for success has led to some pretty wacky behavior.

From my perspective, the rivalry took a really bitter turn a little before 2000. State fans seemed to give up on the basketball tradition, and decided they were going to be the next football powerhouse. Their coach was really fanning the flames of the rivalry, and State grads I worked with were eating it up. It seemed to transform from a more good-natured rivalry to something deeply personal. I remember discussing it with other UNC grad friends, and we had all pretty much stopped talking sports with State grads.

Things should improve if State gets back on track and starts winning national championships again. The UNC-Duke rivalry seems to have a better balance to it, with both schools having plenty of recent success. I hate Duke sports in a good-natured way, where I can smile about it and trade a few friendly jabs with their fans. I sense that many NC State fans now have a genuine hatred of UNC sports, students, alums, and the entire institution. It's really unpleasant to engage in a sports conversation with people like that.
I agree with this 100%.

I have a ton of friends who went to state and/or are state fans but I just avoid the topic of college sports with them altogether and we get along great. I can let a snide "heels fans are snobs" comment roll in person (different story on the internet with people who are not my friends). The dirty truth that few (though some) will admit is that a great number of State students and alum who are the most vehemently "ABC"....are that way because they didn't get into Carolina when they applied in high school. Again; few will actually admit this but those who do will tell you that it's far more of the fanbase than you might expect as an outsider.

I do agree that throughout the state of NC; especially rural peidmont, the majority of Carolina fans are not alum; while most State fans you will find are alum (except down east.....big "walmart" State fanbase in some areas out there if they don't go for ECU).

One thing that many people may not realize is that State has almost twice the undergrad population that Carolina does....naturally there are going to be more alumni.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 01-09-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,554,618 times
This comparison of NCSt v. UNC fans reminds me of the VT v. UVA fans in VA. Tech is the Ag/Technical redneck school, versus UVA which is the "wine and cheese" crowd.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,453,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
This comparison of NCSt v. UNC fans reminds me of the VT v. UVA fans in VA. Tech is the Ag/Technical redneck school, versus UVA which is the "wine and cheese" crowd.
Exactly, UNC and UVA are very similar. However, it seems like UNC dominates NC as a whole (sorry State fans) while Virginia Tech dominates VA. Ever time I visit Richmond, I expect to see a lot of UVA support (license plates, bumper stickers, flags, etc.) but I always seem to see more VT support!

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,554,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Exactly, UNC and UVA are very similar. However, it seems like UNC dominates NC as a whole (sorry State fans) while Virginia Tech dominates VA. Ever time I visit Richmond, I expect to see a lot of UVA support (license plates, bumper stickers, flags, etc.) but I always seem to see more VT support!
VT is much larger. VT has about 40K students or so, while UVA has about 8K. UVA only takes the "elite" applicants, while VT takes anyone who can spell and graduate from HS.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,453,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
VT is much larger. VT has about 40K students or so, while UVA has about 8K. UVA only takes the "elite" applicants, while VT takes anyone who can spell and graduate from HS.
At this point regarding incoming freshmen, UNC and NC State are about equal if you could believe it! However, UNC holds this "snooty, wine and cheese" image while NC State is the "redneck-ish cow school."

Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,071,655 times
I find this Nick fellow to be fine example of what many State fans think about when they think about your typical UNC-CH fan.

for one - factually and undeniably, he's expectedly wrong about enrollment and alumni headcount.

UNC has 18,350 undergrads (29K total) and State has 24,500 undergrads (34,000 total).

he's also thrilled to dredge up the oft-repeated mantra of "they're just jealous and hateful because they applied and got denied at UNC". Anecdotal, though false as a State grad who never even applied to UNC nor did 9 out of 10 State grads that I know. But I've got no more proof of this than he -and no one ever will. it's a perfect little story for him to cling to.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:45 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,071,655 times
Regardless, as a Triangle native, I can assure all that UNC still holds the lead in total # of fans locally.

As a few others have noted - I rarely have an issue with the alums of UNC. That includes my wife. It's good-natured verbal sparring that we all engage in. Most UNC alums I know are rather ashamed of what's been made of their degree over the past 5 years.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:57 PM

377 posts, read 514,169 times
Watching UNC & Louisville now. That's some suit Roy Williams is wearing!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:16 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,208,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
he's also thrilled to dredge up the oft-repeated mantra of "they're just jealous and hateful because they applied and got denied at UNC". Anecdotal, though false as a State grad who never even applied to UNC nor did 9 out of 10 State grads that I know. But I've got no more proof of this than he -and no one ever will. it's a perfect little story for him to cling to.
Back in the dark ages when I was in high school I did know kids who applied to both and got into State, but not UNC. I have no idea how admissions goes now, though. State certainly has better engineering and vet schools than UNC does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary