Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times

Advertisements

Now that there is a deal again. What are they going to do with the park. Any ideas on a plan or vision. What will it offer? What will make it a destination?

I am pleased they have a deal. In the back of my mind I thought it might fall thru. In the end some greedy developer would end up putting some subdivision on the property. Thankfully that's not going to happen. All that beautiful land will be for everyone. As intended. Very excited. Also glad we finally have city leaders who can get something big done(fingers crossed) Now comes the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
In order for that park to work in a truly integrated way with the urban core, Central Prison needs to go. All I have to say about that is..."good luck!"
At best this park will anchor edge core development that will be contained to itself but not walkable to the CBD. I am more encouraged by the Governor's statements that might lead to consolidation of state owned RE downtown thus freeing up of land for more urban development. Hopefully the same people who fought so hard for this destination park will also fight for an integrated network of small urban parks to serve the people of the central core who will be pumping more than their fair share of property tax revenue into the city's coffers vis-a-vis their infrastructure demand.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In order for that park to work in a truly integrated way with the urban core, Central Prison needs to go. All I have to say about that is..."good luck!"
At best this park will anchor edge core development that will be contained to itself but not walkable to the CBD. I am more encouraged by the Governor's statements that might lead to consolidation of state owned RE downtown thus freeing up of land for more urban development. Hopefully the same people who fought so hard for this destination park will also fight for an integrated network of small urban parks to serve the people of the central core who will be pumping more than their fair share of property tax revenue into the city's coffers vis-a-vis their infrastructure demand.
I am impressed with the governor and his passion and plans for Raleigh.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
Somehow the people on WRAL's comment section still manage to portray this as a bad thing. The property is never going to be a hospital again, do these people really think that Dorothea Dix would have preferred it be used for offices than a park for everyone?
WRAL's comment section is like crossing a point of no return in terms of intelligence. Pure stupid in them thar comments.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
WRAL's comment section is like crossing a point of no return in terms of intelligence. Pure stupid in them thar comments.
That often happens when there's a low barrier to entry.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am impressed with the governor and his passion and plans for Raleigh.
McCrory has a passion and plan for Raleigh? What is it? He can't even remember the name of the city half the time.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
Somehow the people on WRAL's comment section still manage to portray this as a bad thing.
I think some question the priorities in government spending and believe that mental health care needs to be given a higher priority than buying park land.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think some question the priorities in government spending and believe that mental health care needs to be given a higher priority than buying park land.
And, I agree. Butner? Really?
But, the state has land, and preservation of this prime open space seems a better use for the long term vision than turning it over to a handful of favored developers to cash in on it.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times
Something smell bad here. I think we need to follow the money closely on this one. Someone is going to get very very rich on this deal. IMO this property is worth way way more than 50 Million.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I agree, too. I think Dorothea Dix hospital was and is STILL needed, and wish the hospital could remain open. I feel like the move to close down mental hospitals across the country is throwing the baby out with the bath water and the much-touted "alternatives" that were supposed to replace mental hospitals never materialized. Mental health is in crisis, and I PREFER a mental hospital to a park, open space or housing development.

But like Mike said, open spaces is better than some fat cat developer getting rich off of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary