Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
It really depends on your ventilation - Mine surely gets over 100, but it's not adequately vented (in fact this thread reminds me that I need those soffit vents installed...only have a ridge vent).
My house was re-roofed last year, and I had them install a ridge vent. The roofing company said I should close the existing gable vents and double the number of soffit vents. I hired a carpenter who did all this work, did it well, and at a reasonable cost. Recommendation: Israel Zumbrano, 919-603-7696. I've since hired him for a different job and am well-satisfied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
My house was re-roofed last year, and I had them install a ridge vent. The roofing company said I should close the existing gable vents and double the number of soffit vents. I hired a carpenter who did all this work, did it well, and at a reasonable cost. Recommendation: Israel Zumbrano, 919-603-7696. I've since hired him for a different job and am well-satisfied.

Thank you! I had contacted someone back when I posted bout it but they never got back to me and I kind of forgot after that.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
In Central Texas even a well vented attic will hit over 115 degrees in a typical summer. I have stored items in an unconditioned attic for decades and the only negatively impacted items were wax, some soft plastic items, fragile glass ornaments, and some photographic negatives that were stored by accident.

Strangely, the glass ornaments seemed to react very badly. Some oxidized and others disintegrated as if stepped upon. The glass was noticeably thinner and more fragile after a couple years on many of them. The candles and negatives were unintended victims, but understandably affected. The soft plastic in some toys and storage containers deformed to the point they could no longer seal (containers) and were deformed in mild, but unappealing ways.

I have used both plastic cartons and cardboard boxes. Each seemed immune to the heat, but cardboard boxes lost their integrity if not stacked in perfectly supported columns. Some times a larger box was stacked on a smaller but heavier box. The unsupported box would start to droop and sag until it started to pull itself apart.

I did find issues with some boxes being infiltrated by rodents or insects if stored too long. Cardboard being more susceptible than plastic.

Something worth mentioning; if stacking paper or cardboard, try to allow space for air movement between the rows or stacks. Some material will retain heat and the cumulative effect over time will cause closely packed items to get hotter than the ambient temperature.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
I have a large, well ventilated attic that get doesn't get much shade during the day.

All the Christmas ornaments are in Rubbermaid bins/totes and I've had no problem with them. Cardboard boxes have held up well with various pieces of memorabilia. No problem with old Tonka trucks. I can't think of anything that has not done well in the 14 years of living there.

I would say no to photos, slides, negatives, film, videotape. Not worth the risk.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
When I got my house, it has a large and tall attic just perfect for storage.
I first laid down several sheets of low-grade sheets of plywood, (really bad looking but strong and cheap). So I could put the boxes in neat stacks and walk around without too much fear of a leg falling through.

I was worried about the heat, as it had been over 130 up there, when I got the house.
So I got an electrician to add a standard box-fan mounted to exhaust out through an existing soffit louver. It had a thermostat set so that when it got over 100 dF, it turned on.
From then on, it was pretty nice, and I figure I saved some money in air conditioning less too. (The attic was floored with insulation, but only the minimal depth batt, so reducing the attic temp would cut back on the heat lost).

As long as I had the guy working, I also had him add a couple of lights up there, with the switch mounted so it could be turned on right at the access ladder top.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
My house has a hip roof that gets full sun all day. The attic space couldn't be over 5 ft. tall with only a small scuddy hope to get to it. There's nothing up there but a new 12" blanket of fiberglass

Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 AM

11 posts, read 25,716 times
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the answer is that conditions vary and I will need to measure my particular attic.

Our 2nd floor attic spaces will be adjoining finished spaces that are heated/cooled by a heat pump. There are ridge vents. Some of the space is over conditioned areas, others are over the unconditioned garage. But even with that info, I assume the conditions will vary and it will take some living there to get a true measure of extremes.

Most of the things I'm considering will likely be fine
Christmas decs - including lights that I should keep an eye on
Old teaching materials (lots of paper/books)
Old CD's - are these really a concern? would they really melt/deform?
Children's toys (metal, plastic, wood) that the kids have outgrown, but would like to keep for future grandkids.
All will be in plastic bins.

I was thinking some Craft supplies, but as I take a look at them, a closet may be more ideal.

This discussion definitely helped me think about how I am packing. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I'd be concerned about the CDs - maybe they wouldn't melt, but the quality could decrease?

I had an engineer here yesterday inspecting my house for other reasons (yay, I don't need foundation repair) and he mentioned that around here an attic can get to 160 degrees in the summer! Ugh.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
If you are doing work in your attic, a priority should be to also make it easy and safe to go up there.
You should go up and walk around and eyeball as much of your attic as you can, every 2-3 months, just to make sure no critters have made a home there.

I had a squirrel-war (not a battle, as it was multiple battles over 6-8 months!) when some found that they could stand in the metal gutter outside, chew through the 2x4 and make a nice tunnel inside were it was dry, warm, and safe. I had several get in this way, and had to live-trap 'em to get them out. (Didn't want to just leave poison as I didn't want dead critters hiding in the corners).

Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM

289 posts, read 489,545 times
Be careful about ceramic-type items too. My mom stored her beautiful white manger scene in the attic, and it became "crazed" with tiny, tiny spider veins all over the pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary