Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about moving to either Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary or Apex area this year. We moved from Atlanta last August to Myrtle Beach, SC and I hate it here. I am not a beach person and the area is very not metro enough for me, not to mention the tourist.

My husband is will to try NC with the exception of Charolette b/c he thinks it will become to much like Atlanta. He could not take the traffic anymore.

We have been looking online all the time trying to get some good info about the different areas. Craigslist has tons of home for sale in all different areas and it definately seems like you can get more house for the money there. MB is crazy and the homeowner insurance is through the roof. We plan on renting a home for 6 months to see if we really like the area and check things out. I have two small children and 1 is going to be starting Kindgarten this year so I need a good school.

I really want a nice middle/upper class suburbs with a downtown area that has shopping, kids stuff, good schools, ymca (my son plays soccor) and lots community spirit. I use to be in a service league and love helping out the children charities in our area. O, I alos need a starbucks to fill my addiction. I love where I live in Canton, GA and would love something very similiar.

If you are from any of the areas above please let me know what you think. Based on what I am looking for maybe you can match up what you work best in your opinion.

Last edited by jennDi; 01-07-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: needed to change the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennDi View Post
We are seriously thinking about moving to either Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary or Apex area this year.
JennDi,

I just wanted to point out that the physical "area" of all the cities and towns you listed is quite large. You may want to seriously consider where in the Triangle you and your husband will be working before you determining a pool of areas you want to consider living in. The commute times can vary greatly depending on where it is you are starting from and where you are going. Certain areas offer better commutes than others. For example, I personally would not choose to live in Chapel Hill or Apex (Both great places to live) if my job was in North Raleigh or Vice Versa. That commute would be a bear! But I would consider living in those areas if I worked at the Research Triangle Park.

For the most part you can find the type of area you describe in almost every town in the Triangle.So, my advice is first figure out where your job will be and then narrow down your search to areas that offer what you consider a manageable commute.

Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
[SIZE=2]Chapel Hill has some of the best schools in the country, but it is also the most expensive town in the area. South Durham offer beatfull brand new neighborhoods at a very afordable price and with excellent access to HWY 40 and RTP.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary