Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,714 times

Advertisements

Hello! Western New Yorker here looking to escape the long and frigid Winters . . .

After visiting for a week in October I'm planning a move to Durham or Chapel Hill (or Carrboro) in a few months (early April); while I know I can get an apartment in my price-range ($700-800/month -- I only want a studio or 1-BR), I'm determined not or land in a complex if I can at all help it; I don't like dealing with property management companies and a regular influx of new neighbors and/or noise. Living in Philadelphia, Seattle and now Buffalo I've managed to always score great places (a total of about 6 over the years) that were owner-occuiped and had great landlords and were fairly quiet; here in Buffalo I rented site unseen (from Seattle) after the landlord provided a video presentation of the place and I verified his employment by speaking to his boss (and I paid a deposit to hold the space, but didn't sign a lease or pay first and last until I got there and saw it in person); so I "only" risked a few hundred dollars.

Is this possible in Durham, Chapel Hill or Carrboro? Everywhere I am looking for places it's complexes that are advertised, or whole houses which are over-budget and more space than I need.

I'd prefer to have something arranged in advance, though I could seek some kind of temporary housing for a week to two to look around in person if necessary. I'd prefer not to pay for a full month of temporary housing costs since my budget is fairly tight and I'd rather put that money into some new furniture -- but I suppose it would be worth it if it was the best way to find what I'm looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated -- housing is my biggest stressor!

Note that I work from home (as a professor and consultant) so commuting is not an issue, though I'd like some level of walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
There are some nice in- home apartments all over Chapel Hill but especially in Westwood. However most homeowners deal with management companies to vet prospective renters. I will DM you someone who manages apartments. Otherwise check on-line advertisements.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Chapel Hill-Carrboro has plenty of non-complex apartments; but virtually all of them will be rented by students. Granted they will probably mostly be graduate/professional students; especially in Carrboro. If that doesn't matter to you; check craigslist and you'll find plenty of rental properties that are what you are looking for.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yes, there are tons of those around. Not sure the best way to find them, but google Chapel Hill rentals and see what you turn up. Maybe Craig's List. I know my neighbor has advertised her basement apartment there.

There are also lots of little teeny complexes and lots of duplexes. I have a friend that lives in a little two bedroom in a small complex that has 12 apartments total I think. They have a great vibe and are friends with almost everyone who lives there.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Default Craigslist is a "no go"!

Everything on Craigslist seems to be a complex -- been looking for months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Chapel Hill-Carrboro has plenty of non-complex apartments; but virtually all of them will be rented by students. Granted they will probably mostly be graduate/professional students; especially in Carrboro. If that doesn't matter to you; check craigslist and you'll find plenty of rental properties that are what you are looking for.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Yeah!

Thanks - sounds good! Though I have done extensive internet searches and 97% of what I find are apartment complexes. UGH! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, there are tons of those around. Not sure the best way to find them, but google Chapel Hill rentals and see what you turn up. Maybe Craig's List. I know my neighbor has advertised her basement apartment there.

There are also lots of little teeny complexes and lots of duplexes. I have a friend that lives in a little two bedroom in a small complex that has 12 apartments total I think. They have a great vibe and are friends with almost everyone who lives there.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
When I first moved here, 13 years ago, I rented a nice 2 bedroom condo in Chapel Hill for $750. It was a one level condo, and only attached to one other unit (like a duplex). I found it using chapelhillrent.com. If you keep your search to condos and duplexes I think you'll find a few things that might work for you. There isn't anything I know of like this for Durham though, but I've been out of the rental market for a long time now. Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
A number of the near-downtown Durham neighborhoods like Trinity Park, Trinity Heights, etc., have garage-apartments available from time to time. Often 500-700 sq. ft., and prices range from ~$550 or so up to $1,100 per month. Best bet is to sign up for Durham neighborhood listservs (find them at durhamhoods.com) and ask about availability for your time frame.

You could also look at "small" apartment clusters like the Addison Bldg. in downtown Durham (10 units), vs. a large complex.

Good luck,

Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
You gotta click through on the Craigslist ads. I see them there. This one is a little out of your price range, but it's an apartment based in a home (says something about the "main house").

You also shouldn't discount the ones that are smaller complexes. I see a Glen Lennox apartment there and that's a great vintage neighborhood. They're all one-level garden apartments with many professionals and families. Lots of others that might be worth a look, too, and aren't in big complexes. You just gotta click through and look at them.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
I agree with poppydog that you should give Glen Lennox a look. We lived there while our house was being remodeled and although it is a complex, it feels more like living in a neighborhood of cottages. The location is great with lots of green space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary