U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 69,158 times

Advertisements

Are there any resources in the Triangle for help with a really bad driving phobia?

My sister is 31 and has a huge driving phobia that's kept her from getting a driver's license. So far, she's gotten by with rides from friends and family. But she'd really like to start learning to drive now and get more independent.

My sister has bad PTSD. She is tense about driving because she has to fight off her freeze response a lot of the time, and driving is a very bad time to go numb and freeze. She's terrified that she'll freeze and won't respond correctly to what's going on around her and get in a bad car accident. The intense anxiety also affects her visual-spatial co-ordination and she finds it really hard to make left turns and lane changes without panicking which in turn causes her to make mistakes, which makes her only more anxious.

She needs to learn from a driving instructor who has experience with really anxious and panicky new drivers. Are there any instructors or driving schools you'd recommend?

Also are there any techniques that any of the nervous drivers here have benefited from? Would a defensive driving class help? Has any meditation/stress reduction technique helped you? I heard that playing sports helps some people with their response times and visual-spatial processing.

Finally, how about the folks who have been thru bad traffic accidents that have caused you to feel panicky and maybe freeze when you feel tense? How did you deal with the freeze response?

Do you know of any counselors/therapists who work with terrified drivers to lessen their anxiety?

Thanks very much. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM

769 posts, read 2,549,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
Are there any resources in the Triangle for help with a really bad driving phobia?

My sister is 31 and has a huge driving phobia that's kept her from getting a driver's license. So far, she's gotten by with rides from friends and family. But she'd really like to start learning to drive now and get more independent.

My sister has bad PTSD. She is tense about driving because she has to fight off her freeze response a lot of the time, and driving is a very bad time to go numb and freeze. She's terrified that she'll freeze and won't respond correctly to what's going on around her and get in a bad car accident. The intense anxiety also affects her visual-spatial co-ordination and she finds it really hard to make left turns and lane changes without panicking which in turn causes her to make mistakes, which makes her only more anxious.

She needs to learn from a driving instructor who has experience with really anxious and panicky new drivers. Are there any instructors or driving schools you'd recommend?

Also are there any techniques that any of the nervous drivers here have benefited from? Would a defensive driving class help? Has any meditation/stress reduction technique helped you? I heard that playing sports helps some people with their response times and visual-spatial processing.

Finally, how about the folks who have been thru bad traffic accidents that have caused you to feel panicky and maybe freeze when you feel tense? How did you deal with the freeze response?

Do you know of any counselors/therapists who work with terrified drivers to lessen their anxiety?

Thanks very much. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I hope this answer isn't too short or 'unhelpful' but it strikes me that your sister would be better focussed on addressing her cognitive/behavioural/emotional issues prior to any consideration of driving. Once those are resolved she can then move forward, I really don't think its a case of 'throwing her in at the deep end' because if she were to have an accident during an episode and she had gotten behind the wheel knowing that the potential for such existed then she may find herself behind bars, especially if someone is hurt/killed as a result of her actions. It a bit like someone who is afraid of flying training to be a pilot - not a great mix for success.
Just my thoughts hope it helps and good luck to her
PS Defensive driving will definitely not help her

Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 PM

324 posts, read 1,423,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
I had a head on collison almost 10 years ago...For a little bit after I was more anxious to drive especially the intersection where it happend but it did lessen over time. Now I am fine for driving but still think of what happened...

Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,463,022 times
I wish I could tell you an answer on the driving, but I don't have a good sense of resources there. I'll ask around.

However, I did want to point out that I don't think driving is the only road to independence. It occurs to me that if your sister has diagnosed PTSD, it is possible that you could get a doctor to certify this as a disability, which could get her access to door-to-door special transporation services. Plenty of people in the Triangle with mobility impairments use this service to achieve independence.

I think she might also find Duke's Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction class useful. I've taken a class on the same Jon Kabat-Zinn model and it is geared for some of her issues. Educational Programs :: MBSR Programs (http://www.dukeintegrativemedicine.org/educational/mbsr.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 04:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,070,184 times
suggestion: move to boston for 6 months. after that, driving in raleigh will seem like walking with a helmet on

Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 23,045,060 times
I don't have any specific resources for driving phobias, but it sounds like your sister could benefit from cognitive therapy from any licensed psychiatrist who deals with phobias and anxieties of any type first. Once she learns to manage her PTSD and anxiety problems, she can then tackle the driving.
Best of luck! I do have a close friend in North Raleigh who is a licensed psychologist and has her own private practice out of her home. She's very good at what she does and I would recommend her. Feel free to PM me if you'd like her name.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,727,424 times
I don't blame her with the losers that have brought their bad driving habits here.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,218,913 times
Did your sister's phobia begin after the accident? Has she always had panic episodes? Often times when people have panic attacks there is a trigger, if the accident was the initial trigger, then that is the issue that she needs to address. There is a therapy called EMDR (DM me if you want the name of the person I know of in cary who is trained in this therapy), but it is successful in helping people overcome panic that is not generalized, but brought about from a specific incident.

I definitely agree with the other posters, that she needs to address the issue of the panic before she will ever truly be comfortable behind the wheel. Once she can address those issues, then she can hire a private driving teacher to help her with the technicalities of driving. She will not be able to concentrate fully on the driving until she resolves the anxiety.

Leigh

Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,727,424 times
True.

My wife had some serious phobias that would transfer from one trigger to another.

No relief by treating the symptoms. However, the Good Lord Jesus healed her of the phobias about 10 years ago, and they are gone.

Unless a traffic situation precipitated the phobia, dig deeper for the cause.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 PM

850 posts, read 3,435,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I don't blame her with the losers that have brought their bad driving habits here.
Not that all the relocated losers would take offense to that remark.
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary