Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There are some folks on here who are going to be upset that the toll road is "successful."
Some folks here (me) are still upset the whole thing is either tolled or not tolled. I have never driven on the part that is tolled. I have friends in North Raleigh, so if that portion were tolled, I would be paying instead of driving for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM

135 posts, read 162,772 times
While I am far from being a "fan" of toll roads, I do use them when I feel there is some value. Usually, that means determining if the time I save is more valuable to me than the cost of the toll or tolls. Back in the 90s I had a friend who was of the opinion that any toll road was bad and he would avoid them whenever possible. He chose to spend an extra 45 minutes (each way) commuting to work to save a couple of dollars in toll (each way). I am sure that there are people who can't afford $20 or so a week for tolls and so that approach would make sense. He wasn't one of those - he just felt the cost wasn't worth the time saved. I respect his opinion however I had the opposite opinion...I gained that time to spend with my kids and it was well worth the $20 to me...

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
While I am far from being a "fan" of toll roads, I do use them when I feel there is some value. Usually, that means determining if the time I save is more valuable to me than the cost of the toll or tolls. Back in the 90s I had a friend who was of the opinion that any toll road was bad and he would avoid them whenever possible. He chose to spend an extra 45 minutes (each way) commuting to work to save a couple of dollars in toll (each way). I am sure that there are people who can't afford $20 or so a week for tolls and so that approach would make sense. He wasn't one of those - he just felt the cost wasn't worth the time saved. I respect his opinion however I had the opposite opinion...I gained that time to spend with my kids and it was well worth the $20 to me...
I agree with this, and would add that with the extra 45 minutes comes extra fuel consumption (more miles usually, and of course sitting burns fuel too). So some of that $20 is a non-factor. That 45 minutes a day may have only cost $10-15 per week. (Less cost and savings now that fuel prices are lower).

Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM

160 posts, read 235,158 times
I'm fine with tolls. However, I just think the 540 tolls are just too high. We just don't usually have the traffic to justify such a premium price. Perhaps if it were half the cost things would be a lot different.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
I'm fine with tolls. However, I just think the 540 tolls are just too high. We just don't usually have the traffic to justify such a premium price. Perhaps if it were half the cost things would be a lot different.
That's a really good point. I wonder if they would have had a 5% DECREASE instead of increase, and if they publicized it widely, if overall revenue might have increased more through higher usage?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
I don't know the methodology, but they performed a price sensitivity analysis in that revenue projection study I linked earlier in the thread. The aim was indeed to come in right around peak revenue.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM

I imagine that there is a point where a combination of a high toll maximizes revenue while minimizing usage. From just that perspective, it's probably in the best interest of the already completed section that they do just that. Get enough revenue to pay for the debt while keeping usage low enough that they do not have congestion or need to think about widening the route.

I would have been nice if their goal wasn't peak revenue, but instead sustaining enough revenue to pay for it while maximizing the usefulness of the road.

I wonder if lower tolls would have resulted in higher usage coupled with happier drivers. If so, perhaps that would help increase the argument for more toll roads - such as completing 540. As it is now, I'm not at all excited about future projects being tolled.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Part of the reason it seems like it is empty is because it is way under capacity. They built all three lanes and have long lane drops, even though they only needed 2 by the traffic projections. It is built with the assumption that way more cars will be on it when the next section is open and to allow for growth in the Holly Springs/Apex area. For once, the DOT thought ahead!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
I imagine that there is a point where a combination of a high toll maximizes revenue while minimizing usage. From just that perspective, it's probably in the best interest of the already completed section that they do just that. Get enough revenue to pay for the debt while keeping usage low enough that they do not have congestion or need to think about widening the route.
Lower usage also reduces maintenance costs.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Lower usage also reduces maintenance costs.
Good point.

It's also nice to hear that the DOT thought ahead and overbuilt the road. Kudos to them.

Maybe it was optimistic on my part that we'd get a great road, built for the future, with moderate tolls.

I know this has been discussed in other places, but I'd even be happy for some sort of tolling based on the time of day. Something like full price at rush hour, 75% during the day, 50% on weekends. I really only drive it when I do out of a sense of civic responsibility. If it cost less, I'd use it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary