Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:47 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,419,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Locks are for honest people, they don't stop those with ill intent.
Don't forget the no weapon signs. Those will surely keep out people wanting to cause harm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 PM

306 posts, read 719,335 times
If all the doors are locked, then someone has to monitor the doors each time someone wants to enter (good or bad person). Most public elementary schools in Wake County don't have the manpower (nor an on-site SRO) to do this. This was situation was discussed in WCPSS when Sandy Hook happened. I know some new schools have a buzzer system, but it was not retro-fitted like would have to happen to most of the current schools.

OP, to answer your original question, my children's elementary only had the front door unlocked. I'm familiar with a couple other elementaries in Wake County and they also only keep the front door unlocked. Now my kids' middle and high schools are another question all together--many doors unlocked throughout the day. But there is an SRO on-site at each one.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,719,762 times
How times have changed.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,079 times
I am a newer subsitutute with Wake County. Of the @ 6-7 schools I work at there is only one (it's newer) that has had to buzz me in . . I can think of only one where the doors are locked the majority of the day. Since Sandy Hook and the horror of that, it does make me feel a little more secure . . I think it would deter someone looking to target a school . .

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,570,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
I am a newer subsitutute with Wake County. Of the @ 6-7 schools I work at there is only one (it's newer) that has had to buzz me in . . I can think of only one where the doors are locked the majority of the day. Since Sandy Hook and the horror of that, it does make me feel a little more secure . . I think it would deter someone looking to target a school . .
Sadly that's not true. It didn't stop Sandy Hook from happening, it didn't stop the gunman who walked into the JCC in Los Angeles a few years ago (where they also had a full time security guard).

Few buildings are perceived as being more secure than a bank and their inner vaults that much more. I've done physical security reviews of bank branches where I was able to gain access to the inner vault (not the part with the intimidating steel door, but the room within that space where the good stuff is usually found).

Physical security is simply a deterrent for amateurs and honest people.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:21 AM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
How times have changed.
I'm 30 years out if high school and our doors were kept locked at all times. More to keep student s from sneaking in and out. But still - they were all locked but the front and someone sat at the front door monitoring who came in.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:40 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,336,200 times
I don't understand why in Wake County they do not lock the doors in Middle School and High School. So if there were a fire or some other incident they would not have a clue how many people or who was in the building?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM

13,696 posts, read 12,403,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I don't understand why in Wake County they do not lock the doors in Middle School and High School. So if there were a fire or some other incident they would not have a clue how many people or who was in the building?
At the High School level at least, students have a lot more freedom. They leave at different times, some may leave for lunch, some may leave for coursework at a local College (not sure if they do that here) etc...

Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Because the kids can have classes in trailers in the middle and high schools and they switch classes on their own. It's not like elementary school where the kids are brought everywhere by their teacher.

In a perfect world you'd be able to program the doors to unlock for 5 minutes when the bells ring.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,336,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Because the kids can have classes in trailers in the middle and high schools and they switch classes on their own. It's not like elementary school where the kids are brought everywhere by their teacher.

In a perfect world you'd be able to program the doors to unlock for 5 minutes when the bells ring.
I forgot about the trailers, those do make it more challenging. I am sure it is still possible but obviously it is not a priority for the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary