Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:19 PM

15 posts, read 25,549 times

Advertisements

I am building a house/new construction in the triangle area and the builder just started installing insulation. The house specification does not include insulating exterior garage walls (insulation within interior walls and ceiling is included) and my builder is willing to insulate the exterior walls at an extra cost.

The question I have is - How common is insulation of exterior garage walls in the triangle area? Does it make sense to do it in this area (granted, we had some really cold winters)?

Is the exterior walls of your garage insulated? What has been your experience in terms of cooling/heating?

I am trying to figure out if this is a worthwhile investment. I may use part of the garage space as a workshop in the future.

Thank you in advance for all comments/suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
FWIW, My exterior garage walls are not insulated. Most cold mornings the temp as I get in my car reads about 53 degrees. On very cold mornings it may read 48 or so. I do have a hot water heater and furnace in the garage though. I'm sure that helps with keeping it a bit warm. If your garage door is heavily insulated then the garage insulation will help in the winter.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,586,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman24 View Post
I may use part of the garage space as a workshop in the future.
Get the insulation, and get an insulated door.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
A couple of years ago, I asked a contractor about adding insulation to my garage.

Based on what I told him, he thought I'd over insulate the garage and there would be other issues to deal with.

I haven't thought about doing it since then but I wonder.

It seems like adding insulation to any area would be a good idea but I'd prefer to hear from an expert as to whether or not it would be worthwhile.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Certainly much easier to do it now than later. If you are planning to spend much time in the garage during the colder months it will be money well spent--assuming the builder does it for a reasonable price!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:32 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Certainly much easier to do it now than later. If you are planning to spend much time in the garage during the colder months it will be money well spent--assuming the builder does it for a reasonable price!
100% agree.

And, then I wonder...
Does the OP's builder intend to sheetrock the exterior walls, or leave open studs?
If open studs, I would consider doing it later, assuming I could save a fair amount of money on a fairly easy installation.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:38 PM

15 posts, read 25,549 times
Default I appreciate all the responses

Thank you all for the responses

Answers to questions raised:
(1) The builder will sheet rock the exterior walls and "finish" the exterior walls
(2) The builder is asking for an extra $1000 for about 750 sq ft (I am assuming R15)

Thanks again.. I appreciate all responses

Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

544 posts, read 851,864 times
I insulated and dry walled my exterior garage walls a few years ago. Not only does the temperature not swing as much, all that white drywall made the garage much brighter. Part of the motivation was also to learn how to hang and finish drywall. (I was bored) Makes for a nicer environment. An insulated door is also highly recommended.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
They are totally screwing you charging $1000 for insulation only , but it will probably not be cheaper to do it later (though it might be close with someone doing blow in after the fact, so might be worth checking)

I had my garage sheetrocked and insulated for less than that and that was for a detached garage that needed all three walls. Since code requires the common wall with the house to be hung and insulated already, they only need to do two and just insulation at that.

A better idea might be to ask the builder for a deduct to not hang the outer walls then pay someone to do it later. Even if they give you nothing back, you might well come out ahead. If they do give you the material cost back all the better. Should be $100-150 at the low end for the material)

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

342 posts, read 871,984 times
I almost would suggest doing it your self. Then you can go with thicker insulation if you so choose. How tall of a wall are you talking and length? I can assume based on 750, but the actual dimensions would help too.

I'll bet you can save some money doing it yourself, but it comes down to if you want to tackle the project or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary