Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 AM

528 posts, read 935,103 times

Advertisements

Hi - I know there are many threads on the WCPSS system but I'm struggling to understand something basic, which is, are the only schools available to you the ones you are zoned for as listed in the base assignment lookup website (base, calendar and magnet), or is there any option to apply to your school of choice and if not capped (and understanding you may have to arrange your own transportation), you could potentially get in?

We are in private school now (child entering Kindergarten in 2016) and plan to purchase a new home this year but are struggling to understand some basics on how the school assignments work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

(And if I've overlooked a thread which answers this clearly, please let me know!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
you can always apply for a TRANSFER to a school that's not in your base assignment. There has to be a valid reason beyond a desire for a different option. And of course, where you're trying to transfer TO must have available spaces.

For the last 6 years, transfers weren't frequently approved.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 AM

89 posts, read 104,487 times
On the wcpss website it says the following:

If you are hoping to transfer for 2015-16 to your calendar option or another school, you will want to participate in the "Calendar and Early Transfer" process described on this page.

Request a school with a different school calendar: Elementary and middle school parents have an opportunity to request assignment to a school with a different calendar. View your calendar options at www.wcpss.net/preview. Calendar options are granted based on space availability and are not guaranteed. Bus transportation is provided to your calendar options.
Request a calendar change online Feb. 20-26, 2015.

Request a transfer to another school in the district: You can request a transfer to any other school in the district, with the exception of magnet and applications schools. Students who receive an assignment based on a transfer request are not provided with district transportation. It is the family's responsibility to provide transportation to/from school. Request a transfer online Feb. 20-26, 2015.

http://www.wcpss.net/Page/276

So it's not impossible to transfer to another school, and I'm not sure that you even have to provide a reason during this application period? I have no idea how likely you are to get a spot though. We have a son who is going into 6th grade next year and I know of a couple of parents that are going to try and get into a different middle school than their base or calendar option. I think they have a chance as the school they are wanting is actually under enrolled and their calendar option school is very crowded (although not capped). We'll see.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Basically, to start the registration process, you are assigned to a school based on your address. You are also given the option of choosing a different calendar (year round versus traditional schedule). Calendar options are assigned to you based on your address (ie: you can't pick whichever one you want). Unless your calendar option is severely overcrowded, these are usually approved. If your calendar option is capped or overcrowded, they usually have an overflow option. These options provide transportation.

You may also apply to magnet schools which starts next week I think. It's a weighted lottery and no guarantee.

Then your final option once you are registered at your base assigned school, is to request a transfer to a different school. There is no guarantee you'll be approved and no equation to figure out if you'll be approved or not, crowding plays a big role. If you are approved you provide your own transportation. I've heard in the past, transfer approvals are around 50%.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
Hi - I know there are many threads on the WCPSS system but I'm struggling to understand something basic, which is, are the only schools available to you the ones you are zoned for as listed in the base assignment lookup website (base, calendar and magnet), or is there any option to apply to your school of choice and if not capped (and understanding you may have to arrange your own transportation), you could potentially get in?

We are in private school now (child entering Kindergarten in 2016) and plan to purchase a new home this year but are struggling to understand some basics on how the school assignments work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

(And if I've overlooked a thread which answers this clearly, please let me know!)
Example:

You are assigned to a school that is very crowded, but you want to attend a school that isn't crowded at all.

Chances of getting in? Very good.

Another example:

You are assigned to a school that isn't particularly crowded and isn't considered one of the most desirable schools in the area. You want to attend the hottest school in town... it IS CROWDED.

Chances of getting in? Pretty much nil.

Make sense?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Example:

You are assigned to a school that is very crowded, but you want to attend a school that isn't crowded at all.

Chances of getting in? Very good.

Another example:

You are assigned to a school that isn't particularly crowded and isn't considered one of the most desirable schools in the area. You want to attend the hottest school in town... it IS CROWDED.

Chances of getting in? Pretty much nil.

Make sense?
Yep, makes sense. Thx.

Thx Bo, SouthCaryMom & lamishra - very helpful, thx

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you can always apply for a TRANSFER to a school that's not in your base assignment. There has to be a valid reason beyond a desire for a different option. And of course, where you're trying to transfer TO must have available spaces.

For the last 6 years, transfers weren't frequently approved.
Actually if you do the Early Transfer window online, you don't have to give any reason for applying to any school you want. It can't be a magnet or application or capped school, but otherwise it's pretty much fair game. If there is space, you have a decent shot at getting in (but again, space is crucial. If it's crowded, but not capped, you will probably be denied).

This is how we got into my son's school for kindergarten. If you don't get in during that early transfer window, and you HAVE a very good reason for a transfer (and it has to be good lol), you can apply later with an application explaining your reasons. It may or may not be approved.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Actually if you do the Early Transfer window online, you don't have to give any reason for applying to any school you want. It can't be a magnet or application or capped school, but otherwise it's pretty much fair game. If there is space, you have a decent shot at getting in (but again, space is crucial. If it's crowded, but not capped, you will probably be denied).

This is how we got into my son's school for kindergarten. If you don't get in during that early transfer window, and you HAVE a very good reason for a transfer (and it has to be good lol), you can apply later with an application explaining your reasons. It may or may not be approved.
Thank you, that's good to hear. So once you are approved, let's say for your Elementary school of choice, do you have to reapply each year for the remainder of Elementary school, or is the approval then good until the child completes Elementary and is ready for Middle? Seems like it would have to be the latter but want to confirm. Thx.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times
Yep you are "in" as a transfer student until the highest grade.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
if you go to the wcpss website, it spells out a list of 8 priority criteria for granting transfer requests.
from the homepage, click on Parents, then Student Assignment, then Change your school, then Transfer to Another school. you see there where you fall in the priority criteria and weigh that against the crowding factor of the specific school you're considering.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary