Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind also, that the best way to move up the ladder to a better-paying job is to already have a job and some experience. So even though it may be tough for the first year on that salary, it may lead to bigger and better things. Most people starting out start low and have roommates (at least in the DC area where I lived and housing is astronomical). It can be great for your social life, and even if it isn't, it sometimes allows you more amenities - nicer apt, nicer neighborhood, cable tv., etc. that you may not have been able to afford on your own.

For my first job out of college, I earned $19,500 - granted it was 1989, but it was in the DC area, so it wasn't much money. I made it work and even managed to save some money. I rented a 3-BR apt with two friends and took the smallest. least expensive bedroom. I filled it with IKEA furniture. We lived somewhat far outside the city and I took advantage of a free bus to work through the apt. complex. I had to wake up extra early to catch the bus otherwise it filled up and I'd have to take a bus that cost money. The bus dropped me off about 10 blocks from work and I walked the rest of the way so I didn't have to pay for Metro. Therefore, my commuting costs were minimal. I worked hard at my job and got regular raises and got promoted within 4 years to where I was making decent money ($34K). If I had poo-pooed that job or similar low-paying jobs, I may never have earned a better salary.

You CAN do it, but it will take some sacrifice on your part. Work hard, live frugally, keep costs down, and if you can, save for the future. And you may find yourself making decent money within the next few years. Then as you make more, you can adjust your quality of living (but always continue to save). Best of luck to you in your new position, and never be ashamed of an honest day's work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
For my first job out of college, I earned $19,500 - granted it was 1989, but it was in the DC area, so it wasn't much money. I made it work and even managed to save some money. I rented a 3-BR apt with two friends and took the smallest. least expensive bedroom. I filled it with IKEA furniture. We lived somewhat far outside the city and I took advantage of a free bus to work through the apt. complex. I had to wake up extra early to catch the bus otherwise it filled up and I'd have to take a bus that cost money. The bus dropped me off about 10 blocks from work and I walked the rest of the way so I didn't have to pay for Metro. Therefore, my commuting costs were minimal. I worked hard at my job and got regular raises and got promoted within 4 years to where I was making decent money ($34K). If I had poo-pooed that job or similar low-paying jobs, I may never have earned a better salary.
I agree with your advice to the OP, but your $19,500 first job in today's dollars is still over $37,000.
CPI Inflation Calculator

Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I agree with your advice to the OP, but your $19,500 first job in today's dollars is still over $37,000.
CPI Inflation Calculator

Yes, it may have been a bit more comparatively than the OP makes now, but not by much. Keep in mind that the job was in the heart of downtown DC which has a much higher cost of living than Raleigh. In fact, a $37K salary today in DC equates to a $25K salary in Raleigh, which isn't significantly more than the OP is making (about $23K if he works full time). Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
I admire the OP for trying to do better, and hopefully that climb will continue. Congrats on landing the job, I know from experience its not easy to do from a distance. As many said, you can do it. It will require some sacrifice, but things worth having do!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Man you can find a spot there are a lot of decent apartments in the mid to upper 600s even though 11.35 breaks down to qualifying for something in the lower 600 hundred range, I'm pretty sure you can work something out even with out a room mate if you go the Cary route, I mention these place before on another forum but I know Hermitage at beachtree lower has actually went down from their listed price to 675 and has 700sqft,

You can check out Laurel Oaks in Raleigh it's 649 for 640sqft
now don't know whether you wanted a room mate or note but I found this on craigslist of somebody looking for a roommate asking for 500 months all utilities included Roommates Wanted!!! $500/mo (Utl Included)
you can check out the reserve at magnolia ridge in cary it's 635-685 for one bedrooms
concord apartments in raleigh are 645
villages at lake boone trail are 650 for one bedrooms
The falls apartments in raleigh start at 635 but they are really ripping people off when it comes to sqft

Check out craigslist too there are listings there that are reasonable.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Ought to be able to get 1BR/1BA room in a condo with common area in University Woods for $250-$300/month.
Maybe less, as some of them seem to have rotating casual tenants. Often there are 3 rented units and one empty, and you can get a space for passing some cash.
It ain't classy. Just flop for a month or two until a few paychecks hit the bank. You are going to be in school or working the 2nd gig anyway.
Don't take anything valuable or leave a bike unchained, but if you keep to yourself, you shouldn't get beat up or anything.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hey now. I'm pretty sure that if someone dropped BMW heated leather seat money, they'd want those damned things to work as advertised.

Anyway... I've lived on less than the OP is making and I know quite a few people around here that do right now. Most, like yourself, do far better with a roommate, but I know a couple who lucked out and found really convenient (not luxurious) 1BR places for a budget the OP could afford. The key is to get here, get working, find that initial roommate, and learn the lay of the land.

Don't worry, OP. You can do it. I agree with all the cautionary postings, though. Best to come here for work prepared to be a little broke at first than to come thinking you'll be eating filet mignon every night.

Know what I mean?

Congrats on the new job. I think you'll really dig it here. And now, I am also wondering if you're working with Lord Helmit.
Touche, touche. But...still lol. First world problems.

I seriously am wondering lol we actually do have lots of Virginians here too; one who still drives to and fro Danville every single day! Another who moved here from Virginia Beach. I also see several other VA plates int he parking lot. Could be :P

OP: Idk if youre still reading this thread but dude, there are tons of good lookin' craigslist ads for rooms.
Check this out! Probably no more than $425 a month with the utilities included. Good location (for RTP commute)
Open room in house of young professionals/grad students

This looks good as well, private bathroom and everything, not too sure where it's located tho just says Raleigh
Wonderful room with private bath - Internet available

Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Just have to say I transferred here from WI at the same time a co-worker did. He found a basic apt in cary for 650/month. I dont know where-it was really close to the WCPS office building on Dillard drive. that is all I remember. I lost contact with him so I cant ask.
Something different here than most areas is you often pay for water/sewer/trash. Many state have that included in the rent, so keep it in mind as another expense.
As for a roommate, I would commit to a lease with anyone until you decide if you can live with them. I had some good roommates in the past and a couple I actually had to just up and leave-one had been a friend for years and I never knew she had parties 5 days/ week until all hours. The other stored dirty dishes under the furniture and ate all my food and used all of my soap, shampoo, etc. So, if you go the roommate route, ask questions first and maybe do a short term to see if you are compatible, but there are some cheap apartments out there if you look. MikeJ gave a good suggestion too.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
I would suggest looking for housing near NCSU. There's a pretty healthy supply of low-cost student housing near campus and an ample supply of people looking for roommates. There are also places that rent by the bedroom (such as University Woods mentioned above). You might also check out Lake Park. It's a complex with 4 BR apartments where people are frequently seeking roommates.

I heard some good advice a long time ago for people just starting their career: Live like a college student as long as you can. Keep your costs low, focus on career opportunities and save up money.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I would suggest looking for housing near NCSU. There's a pretty healthy supply of low-cost student housing near campus and an ample supply of people looking for roommates. There are also places that rent by the bedroom (such as University Woods mentioned above). You might also check out Lake Park. It's a complex with 4 BR apartments where people are frequently seeking roommates.

I heard some good advice a long time ago for people just starting their career: Live like a college student as long as you can. Keep your costs low, focus on career opportunities and save up money.

I really like, "Live like a college student as long as you can..." And, I seem to never remember "Lake Park."
$350/room with utility at Lake Park

Utilities and Internet INCLUDED, close to NCSU, one ROOM available!!!!

$375 including utility at Lake Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary