Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM

351 posts, read 1,191,714 times

Advertisements

I have a super cute radio/cd player that I love (it looks old fashioned) but the silly little plastic thing that keeps the cd player lid down broke in one of our many recent moves. The tape that's keeping it down currently is starting to look awfully silly. Anyone have an idea about someone locally who would fix something like that. I don't even know where to start. Small appliance repair, plasticsmith....??

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,906,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omamia View Post
I have a super cute radio/cd player that I love (it looks old fashioned) but the silly little plastic thing that keeps the cd player lid down broke in one of our many recent moves. The tape that's keeping it down currently is starting to look awfully silly. Anyone have an idea about someone locally who would fix something like that. I don't even know where to start. Small appliance repair, plasticsmith....??

Thanks for any suggestions.
I sincerely doubt it since it is such a minor repair BUT that being said someone may have an answer. You could always buy another and return the broken one though My other thought is that if the top is flat you could always use something to hold it down like a candle or similar. Looks better than tape but still going to be goofy looking Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM

351 posts, read 1,191,714 times
Good idea on the candle! Hmmm...

I really love the thing and to replace it would be $150 or so. It's too bad our society is so throw away.....small appliance repair isn't really around anymore, huh?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:26 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,906,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omamia View Post
Good idea on the candle! Hmmm...

I really love the thing and to replace it would be $150 or so. It's too bad our society is so throw away.....small appliance repair isn't really around anymore, huh?
Unfortunately it's all about the $$ and smaller repairs don't warrant big dollars. Heck it's hard to find someone to do a small home repair nowadays as well. $150 is not worth the hassle to do the return and such as if you are stuck with a second one but the candle should work out okay. Good luck :-)

Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,007,750 times
Best bet with consumer electronics is often the manufacturer.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
When the same thing happened to one of our CD players, I had to resort to putting it on a shelf that let me open it enough to put in the cd, and then use the cd holder to wedge the lid down -- bracing it between the shelf and the cd lid.

It is a shame we are such a throw-away society. I do like the idea of seeing if the manufacturer can fix it, or perhaps send the plastic-thingy to you so you can fix it. Mine was discontinued, and the manufacturer no longer covered anything. I couldn't even get them to send me a new plastic-thingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary