Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:46 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,535 times

Advertisements

We moved to Chancellor's Ridge in 2000. It is a great neighborhood with a broad range of homes, including townhomes. I am more than happy to answer any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM

28 posts, read 102,019 times
Why is Durham so overlooked? I have lived in Raleigh for a few months and the state of NC for almost 2 years and never heard a thing about places to live in Durham. Does the "rough" city of Durham give the whole area a bad reputation?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFly32 View Post
Does the "rough" city of Durham give the whole area a bad reputation?
Yep, pretty much covers it.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
ButterFly, you nailed it. Durham has a higher crime rate than surrounding towns. However, most of that crime is concentrated in the rougher part of town. The majority of Durham is just as pretty, safe, and family-friendly as the rest of the Triangle.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM

189 posts, read 753,810 times
We're in process. We have an accepted offer and are scheduled to close, should all go well, later this month.

We really did start our research process a year ago, months before moving. As New England transplants, we were first nudged to N. Raleigh and Cary. It is largely because of this board that we even permitted Durham to come onto our radar screen. We discovered Fairfield during October's Parade of Homes and found it suits us to a "T."

We LOVE S. Durham! My husband's commute to the southern part of the RTP is less than 15 minutes. Shopping of every kind is minutes away. Restaurants abound. We also didn't want to be in a community dominated by other transplants. Unlike some parts of Cary and Morrisville, the flight path doesn't go over our part of town--a deal breaker for me. Don't even get me started on what it's like living by train tracks, such as we observed in Cary and Morrisville. The fact that we estimate that we're saving around $100,000+ on our home purchase-and it's a great house-is icing on the cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Did you buy in Fairfield?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
Congratulations soon to be neighbor!

Fairfield is great and I can certainly give more information if needed... I moved into Fairfield on 8/31/07 and I have no complaints... I will read though this post later tonight and come up with a better response

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
We're in process. We have an accepted offer and are scheduled to close, should all go well, later this month.

We really did start our research process a year ago, months before moving. As New England transplants, we were first nudged to N. Raleigh and Cary. It is largely because of this board that we even permitted Durham to come onto our radar screen. We discovered Fairfield during October's Parade of Homes and found it suits us to a "T."

We LOVE S. Durham! My husband's commute to the southern part of the RTP is less than 15 minutes. Shopping of every kind is minutes away. Restaurants abound. We also didn't want to be in a community dominated by other transplants. Unlike some parts of Cary and Morrisville, the flight path doesn't go over our part of town--a deal breaker for me. Don't even get me started on what it's like living by train tracks, such as we observed in Cary and Morrisville. The fact that we estimate that we're saving around $100,000+ on our home purchase-and it's a great house-is icing on the cake!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
Lightbulb SW Durham

Southwest Durham is great and very convenient to everything:
10 minutes to RTP
20 minutes to UNC Chapel-Hill
5 minutes to Southpoint Mall (one of the best if not the best in the area)
15 to the Airport (RDU)

Here are some of the subdivisions 'South of Southpoint" and homes that are available:
South Durham NC - Parkwood map, Lakehurst map, Grandale Place map, Fairfield map, Lake Park map, Chancellor's Ridge map, and Audubon Park map (http://www.fairfield-nc.com/pages/SouthDurhamMap3FF.shtml - broken link)
* This do not include subdivisions like Oakhurst, Oakhaven and Southampton.

Here is an interesting N & O article from this weekend:
The Durham News | Southern discomfort (broken link)

Enjoy and Good Luck! If you need any other information don't hesitate...
Matt

Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFly32 View Post
I am new to the Raleigh/Durham area. I am renting in Raliegh right now. I really like it but, it is so congested. Everywhere I look there are new homes being built on practically no land. I drove up to Duke the other day and started wondering if there are good places to live in the Durham area. I would probably be looking south of Durham, near Wake county. Do you know of any nice neighborhoods? Also, which schools have good reputations? I don't have kids yet, but the repuation of schools says a lot about an area, in my opinion. Thanks! It's such a big area, it takes forever to get to know everything.
ButterFly, I'm glad you are giving Durham a look. I live in South Durham off Herndon Rd. If you don't have kids yet this may not be an immediate concern. As the article that Fester posted talks about the schools that this area is districted for are overcrowded (Creekside/ Githens / Jordan). There is rumor this area (including Chancellor's Ridge) will be redistricted to another school for Elementary. The district has not said where, but prior to Jan 2005 the elementary kids in this area went to Parkwood. You can find out more about these schools & scores at http://www.dpsnc.net/
I personally am concerned that the value of my home (which I just bought in July 07) will decrease if we are redistricted. There is also talk that the high school students in this area might be redistricted from Jordan (one of the best hs in Durham) to Hillside (one of the lowest performing schools).

I'm not sharing this to scare you off.... I recommend asking a lot of questions. If I did not have children or wanted to send them to private school I would have bought a home in a Downtown Durham area, like Trinity Park. Some areas downtown seem to appreciate well regardless of the associated schools and it's because these are desirable, walkable, urban neighborhoods. Others on this board are more familar with these neighborhoods. But my take is it's alot of young, educated couples and singles.

Good luck in your search!!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM

43 posts, read 58,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
There is rumor this area (including Chancellor's Ridge) will be redistricted to another school for Elementary. The district has not said where, but prior to Jan 2005 the elementary kids in this area went to Parkwood. You can find out more about these schools & scores at DPS District Site - Home
I personally am concerned that the value of my home (which I just bought in July 07) will decrease if we are redistricted. There is also talk that the high school students in this area might be redistricted from Jordan (one of the best hs in Durham) to Hillside (one of the lowest performing schools).
There is a post on the Chancellors Ridge neighborhood blog that talks about a new development going in and the developer may donate land for a new elementary. See: Chancellor's Ridge HOA: New Planned development on Hwy 751

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I love the way the area/subdivisions/flora and fauna in S. Durham look. The pictures of Woodcroft posted by Mrs. Steel are just gorgeous. House prices are very enticing. But I keep going back to the schools. I know that there are great variations in Durham public schools and I worry about that. Would love to hear from any forum members who have kids in Durham Co middle/high schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary