Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,832,511 times

Advertisements

I know---another list. Triangle schools are well represented.

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...t&utm_term=RLP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,867,398 times
The list should be titled:

"High Schools with the Best Student Populations."

Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 AM

9,764 posts, read 15,711,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The list should be titled:

"High Schools with the Best Student Populations."
That may be (and probably is) true. But going to school with the "worst" populations can have a profound effect on the classes offered, the experience of teachers, the extracurriculars at a school, the amount of time spent on discipline/safety, etc. I'm not saying that a student cannot do well at a school that is ranked in the middle or that some cannot do great things coming from low-ranking schools, but the population at a school does affect most students in several ways.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 16,665 times
Best schools in NC are in Chapel Hill. East Chapel Hill High has one of the best scores.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte411 View Post
Best schools in NC are in Chapel Hill. East Chapel Hill High has one of the best scores.
So does Green Hope High. In Cary.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,954,624 times
The best high schools are those where the parents expect the students to work hard. Very simple. And lots of parents in the Triangle have that expectation.

Notice that my comment is work hard, not get good grades. When grades are the sole emphasis, cheaters will mess up the dynamic.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 3,514,715 times
The devil is in the details with these polls. Due to their nature, they have to find separation somewhere in ratings, but the difference between the 10th place school and the 100th place school can be miniscule (or not pertinent to one's situation), but because a place is assigned, one looks far worse than another. A better way of organizing would be in groupings of superior, above average, average, below average, etc.

For example, compare 2 schools I am interested in - Panther Creek (#11 on list and the one we are districted for) and Northwood (#87 on list and one we are contemplating moving to). Their scores differ by more than half a grade in only 3 categories - Food, Health and Safety and Resources and Facilities - yet they are 76 spots apart on the list.

For Resources and Facilities, the major differences are in lockers, cafeteria and classrooms as well as a higher level of accommodation of disabled students. Well you'd expect the newer and larger school (Panther Creek) to have more modern facilities (albeit with its fair share of mobile classrooms). If I do not have a disabled student, then the fact that one school accommodates disabilities better than another is of less importance to me.

The differences in Food seem to surround the ability for Panther Creek students to go offsite for lunch and not be forced to use the cafeteria services (the comments on the cafeteria for each showed universal disdain for cafeteria food). If I don't have a student with a special diet, then I don't really care how highly the cafeteria is rated.

For Health and Safety, there were universal comments at both schools about the nurse only being there once a week (if my child is sick I am going to pick them up anyway, so not a huge deal for me). The main differentiators were around prominence of faculty/student IDs - in a smaller school of 1000 students, there is more chance that everyone knows each other than in a school of 3000 students - so Panther Creek is scored higher on paper, but in reality, its a big vs. small bias.

From an academic standpoint, I don't need 2-3 offerings of the same AP class, as long as there is 1, my child can be served. The graduation rate difference of 10% does not matter much to me as it will be because of socioeconomic differences in the neighborhoods that feed the schools. The GPA differences are miniscule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary