Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times

Advertisements

A list that only has one NJ location, and none from NY is merely a list of artsy-fartsy restaurants pretending to be diners. If they aren't open 24 hours, with an 8 page menu available the entire time, and a rotating display case of dubious pie slices, it isn't a diner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Congrats to Poole's, they are on my list of restaurants to visit.
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-21-be...229674496.html

PS - There is no mention of heaping amounts of potatoes or ranch dressing in the criteria!
Omg, this thread gave me the biggest belly laugh! This forum is morphing into a mini-Reddit with all these inside jokes and memes!

You all killin' me!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Have any of y'all checked out The Mecca in downtown Raleigh? It's an institution. Breakfast thru late night. I don't know if it qualifies as a diner since it's good old Southern cooking, but I think it might be the closest thing we have to a Southern version of what people are talking about when they bemoan the lack of diners in the Triangle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, is a diner supposed to have _good_ food?
Yes_it_does. If it wants to get on my diner list.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
I don't do trendy therefore I won't do Poole's. I followed recommendations from this site to try Chuck's (same owner I assume). Walked in and looked at the menu. They are putting stuff on a burger that I can't even pronounce. Nope, couldn't do it. We left and went to Bad Daddy.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If they aren't open 24 hours, with an 8 page menu available the entire time, and a rotating display case of dubious pie slices, it isn't a diner.
This.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Congrats to Poole's, they are on my list of restaurants to visit.
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-21-be...229674496.html
One thing this thread hasn't brought up is: How absurd are these Yahoo lists/articles getting recently? The Diner list is a perfect case-in-point.

Seriously, they must have college interns writing these things. There appears to be no attempt to really get any expert opinions or to do any kind of polling. It's like they wrote a lot of these articles just by posting a question to their friends and relatives on Facebook. It's amazing what articles people will click on when the title says "The best 15 hamburgers in the US" or "10 travel secrets that the airlines don't want you to know," or "the 8 best places to retire", etc. I know I get sucked in almost every time, and nearly every time, I'm disappointed that I did - because the article was awfully researched, reasoned, and written. These things are all about getting the clicks and therefore the ad revenue associated with the volume of clicks.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Really like Pooles but a diner (in the traditional sense) it is not.
Pooles is too "foodie" to be called a diner!

Finches is more of a diner!

Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
They are putting stuff on a burger that I can't even pronounce.
Yeah, I agree with this comment - and noted the same thing the last time I was there. But truth be told, it's a damn good burger that isn't in the same league with Bad Daddys.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
One thing this thread hasn't brought up is: How absurd are these Yahoo lists/articles getting recently? The Diner list is a perfect case-in-point.

Seriously, they must have college interns writing these things. There appears to be no attempt to really get any expert opinions or to do any kind of polling. It's like they wrote a lot of these articles just by posting a question to their friends and relatives on Facebook. It's amazing what articles people will click on when the title says "The best 15 hamburgers in the US" or "10 travel secrets that the airlines don't want you to know," or "the 8 best places to retire", etc. I know I get sucked in almost every time, and nearly every time, I'm disappointed that I did - because the article was awfully researched, reasoned, and written. These things are all about getting the clicks and therefore the ad revenue associated with the volume of clicks.
Anything on Yahoo news is usually sub par media. Don't even look at the commentary ,it will really depress you about the people who share our world. Idiots and Ignorance abounds.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Anything on Yahoo news is usually sub par media. Don't even look at the commentary ,it will really depress you about the people who share our world. Idiots and Ignorance abounds.
Not even to mention the Ask Yahoo pages. Ask a question and you'll get responses from people who've never seen or heard of your topic, but they have advice for you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary