Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,099,817 times

Advertisements

The bad thing here is ice. Without rail transit, the bridges and overpasses keep auto body shops busy for months.

I still remember a few years ago when we got ice that didn't disappear for 2 weeks. Parking lots and sidewalks were perilous.

Weather can hit hard, but not as often as CT.

Now, let's not forget 2007 where we had about 3 weeks steadily over 100 fahrenheit. Since we came here from New Orleans, it wasn't such a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,976,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't think that we should set any false expectations about what the weather might be in mid February. For anyone who has lived in Raleigh for an extended period of time, we all know that the weather can be wildly different from day to day, week to week and year to year.
That's true everywhere in the US except the west coast, as far as I know.

What makes the Raleigh winters bearable (based on my extremely limited experience) is that even if you get some snow/ice/hail/sleet (or just cold), chances are that temps will be back up the 40s or 50s within a couple of days. The average temperatures only tend to range about 5-10 degrees warmer than in New England, but that's enough to mean much fewer bitter cold days and much fewer days below freezing in general.

I like it.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,948,089 times
Can't tell. Dark out.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,867,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, winter is VERY DULL in NC, IMO . Lots of grey days.
"Dull" is not a word I would have thought of to describe winters here. Compared to the long, cold, dark, sunless winters of the north where I grew up, I find winter here to often be bright and sunny. Sure there are cloudy days, but we just don't have the long stretches in which you see little to no sun. And the temps typically aren't too bad, with average highs that never dip below 50 degrees.Sure, February typically brings some unpredictable weather - but sometimes is unpredictably good, not just unpredictably bad.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,077 posts, read 76,631,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Can't tell. Dark out.
INsightful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HpB5CGfLQ

Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,230,531 times
rain, rain, rain in 2015

Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,876,947 times
Three hours to North Myrtle is how I would describe the weather in winter here

Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,286,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
I need to get some details about how the weather can be in early Feb ?

- Can the weather be described as “ Dull “ or you can feel some warming sun breaks on daily basis
- How regular do the snow came and when it acme how long does it last ?
- How can you describe the Wind chill ?
- Is it raining daily ?
- How green the city is
I wouldn't say you find sun on a daily basis, January/February certainly can be gray and bleak. But, it does come out and it is higher and warmer than up north.

Snow is an anomaly, and wind chill is rarely heard of. I've noticed the wind chill maybe once this year.

It rains a lot in winter, and it isn't Green. Think late March in colder climates, where the snow has melted away but there are no leaves, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Early February in Raleigh still feels solidly like winter. The days have gotten noticeably longer, but the landscape is still bleak and cold. For me, the weather didn't get consistently pleasant until early April.
I agree with this...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,661,441 times
The most telling sign of winter's end for me is that I can usually put on my summer-only tires at the end of Feb or early March. This is not snow related but rather related to temperatures. December and January can be somewhat bleak depending on the precipitation (mostly rain) but the sun shines quite a bit. Like others have mentioned 'dull' does not come to mind when you compare this area's winter to winters in a northern climate.

I've also turned on the AC in Dec and for the past few nights have opened windows to cool the house down to good sleeping temperatures.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,235,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I've also turned on the AC in Dec and for the past few nights have opened windows to cool the house down to good sleeping temperatures.
you opened the windows to cool down the house when it's been in the 30s at night?! Wow, you must like it really chilly to sleep.

I do find winter almost unbearably dull. It's the season I hate the most by far. You won't find me complaining about summer except for it being too short, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I do want to say that it's pretty nice out right now, low 60s currently, but supposed to drop 20 degrees this afternoon with wind gusts up to 30mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary