Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 AM

31 posts, read 30,139 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Orange County in Southern California to open restaurants - ideally three to five. California is a difficult state to do business in and as small business owner, we don't want to take the risk. In our search for a business friendly state, we came upon North Carolina, Virginia and Texas. We further narrowed down our options to specific regions - the Triangle being one of them. I'm looking for opinions for where we should tour when we fly out there next week.

Specifically, we're looking for great schools (5th and 7th graders). They are both GATE students and require advanced instruction. We're looking for a safe area with a strong sense of community, highly educated, relatively short commute time (we don't want to open the first restaurant within 20-30 minutes of home), good disposable income and business friendly policies.

We'll probably need to rent initially until we really learn the area. We have a dog, so yard is required. When we buy, we'll probably look to max the price at $700K and have at least four bedrooms. We want to rent in the same school district in which we ultimately buy.

Chapel Hill is standing out to me due to the schools. Wake County schools concern me a bit due to the comments about over crowding. Also, the school rankings are not great universally.

However, what is crime really like in Chapel Hill? I've read a few posts about gang related activity there. I know that all areas have crime, and if you're not part of those activities, then you're not likely to have issues. I see maps where LA and OC have horrible gang related activity - but honestly, we live in a community where I NEVER see anything remotely related to gangs and crime. This is affectionately referred to as "living behind the orange curtain". Perhaps it's the same phenomenon in Chapel Hill...?

Anyway, perhaps you have suggestions for locations where restaurants do well and where is a good place for us consider living. Thank you in advance - I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadyaM View Post
However, what is crime really like in Chapel Hill? I've read a few posts about gang related activity there. I know that all areas have crime, and if you're not part of those activities, then you're not likely to have issues. I see maps where LA and OC have horrible gang related activity - but honestly, we live in a community where I NEVER see anything remotely related to gangs and crime. This is affectionately referred to as "living behind the orange curtain". Perhaps it's the same phenomenon in Chapel Hill...?
Honestly, crime in Chapel Hill (or most of the Triangle area) is nothing to worry about.

Gangs? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I can't recall ever having heard of any significant criminal activity that was attributed to gang activity in Chapel Hill.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:03 PM

547 posts, read 774,538 times
Quote:
My husband and I are moving from Orange County in Southern California to open restaurants - ideally three to five. California is a difficult state to do business in and as small business owner, we don't want to take the risk. In our search for a business friendly state, we came upon North Carolina, Virginia and Texas. We further narrowed down our options to specific regions - the Triangle being one of them. I'm looking for opinions for where we should tour when we fly out there next week.

Specifically, we're looking for great schools (5th and 7th graders). They are both GATE students and require advanced instruction. We're looking for a safe area with a strong sense of community, highly educated, relatively short commute time (we don't want to open the first restaurant within 20-30 minutes of home), good disposable income and business friendly policies.

We'll probably need to rent initially until we really learn the area. We have a dog, so yard is required. When we buy, we'll probably look to max the price at $700K and have at least four bedrooms. We want to rent in the same school district in which we ultimately buy.

Chapel Hill is standing out to me due to the schools. Wake County schools concern me a bit due to the comments about over crowding. Also, the school rankings are not great universally.

Anyway, perhaps you have suggestions for locations where restaurants do well and where is a good place for us consider living. Thank you in advance - I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and look forward to hearing from you.
Probably depends on what kind of restaurants...make sure you serve heaps of potatoes...

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
There's no substitute for getting here and looking around but given the geographical size of the Triangle area, you could spend an inordinate amount of time driving to each corner of the region. Which is why you probably asked the questions you did.

First off, I've been here nearly a year, and I will tell you to not rely too heavily on the school rankings - especially those that are national. They're not nearly as bad as the rankings indicate. That said, for public schools, I'd probably direct you first to the Wake County schools in West Cary, and the Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools.

In West Cary, there are lots of new retail developments being built and there are some really nice housing developments in your price range nearby. For retail, Parkside Town Commons is still in its infancy, but you'll easily see the scope of their plans and the magnitude and type of clientele they'll be looking to serve. Parkside Town Commons | Portfolio | Kite Realty

Chapel Hill is more mature and stable, business-wise, and there might be a whole lot more direct competition in whatever restaurant space you're looking to develop. I do think it would be hard to fail with a good restaurant product in the West Cary area - given the burgeoning numbers there.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:

Wake County schools are fine. How do you define Business Friendly? I am not sure if NC is very pro small business.

However, restaurants seem to be doing very well. Part of the reason is that there is such an increase in population here year over year. You should look into a Diner. This area lacks a 24h dinner. I also think that there is a market for Mediterranean restaurants, Malaysian restaurants (only one that I know of and it is in CH)

Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM

65 posts, read 133,428 times
As it relates to your home purchase, I am assuming you are prepared to pay cash for your house, as I can't imagine getting mortgage approval with either no job or a job that is a newly self-employed restaurant owner. I'm sure you have a plan but mention the obvious just in case.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
"Gangs" a la Crips and Bloods do not exist in NC. I'm sure there are "groups of kids" in any high school who make trouble, but it's not what you're thinking of from SoCal.

Chapel Hill does indeed have the best schools (University kids, ya know) and along with it, the highest cost of living in NC.

Finding a rental that takes pets is not a no-brainer, but I'm sure is possible.

Really, the East Coast is not at all like SoCal, particular the Southeast...have you ever been to this area to get a feel for the culture? It's quite different. The restaurant scene is certainly growing in the Triangle and Durham has been known as a Food Town for quite some time.

What kind of restaurants, I guess, is the main question. Would they be three of the same thing or three separate experiences? I'm sure you're aware how high the failure rate is for any restaurant business--what is your background running them?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Gangs" a la Crips and Bloods do not exist in NC. I'm sure there are "groups of kids" in any high school who make trouble, but it's not what you're thinking of from SoCal.
Looks like the kids have branched out. While alarming, it still isn't as bad as SoCal.

Map 2 and Appendix A are of interest.

FBI — 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment

NORTH CAROLINA
13 Meadow Wood Memphis Bloods
18th Street
174 Valentine Bloods
20’s Neighborhood Piru
21st Crips
318 Crips
4-Trey Gangster Crips
5 Deuce Hoover Crips
5 Line Eastside Bounty Hunters
8 Trey Crips
9 Tek
9 Trey
9 Trey Gangsters
910 MOB
A Squad
Aryan Brotherhood
Aryan Nation
Ashboro St Bloods
Ashton Forrest Bloods
Asian Boyz
Avalon Gangster Crips
B St Bloods
Beaver Creek South
BL-50 Bloods
Black Gangster Disciples
Black Guerilla Family
Black P Stones
Bonnie Doone Folk
Bounty Hunter Assassins
Bounty Hunter Bloods
Bounty Hunter Villains
Brown Pride
Brown Pride Aztecs
Bunce Road Bloods
Cambridge Arms Bloods
Conservative Vice Lords
D-Block Bloods
DC Bounty Hunters
Dead Man Incorporated
Desperados MC
Deuce 13
Eastside MOB Piru
Eastside Murder Boyz
Eight Trey Crips
Fairlane Acres Crips
Five Percenters
Flame Squad
Folk Nation
Foxfire Bloods
Fruit Town Brims
Gangster Disciples
Get Money Clique
Ghost Gangster Disciples
Gangster Killer Bloods
Grape Street Crips
Graveyard Crips
Hells Angels MC
Hoover 107 Crips
HTO Bloods
IGC 973
Insane Gangster Crips
Insane Gangster Disciples
Jbirds
Juggalos
Kings/Dons
Latin Kings
Loch Boys
Major Grind
Mafia Malditos
Mexican Mafia
Misplaced Souls MC
Money Over ******* Bloods
Money Money
Hungry Soldiers
Money Maker Squad
MS-13
Murch Mob
Murder Bloods
Nazi Low Riders
Ñetas
New Jersey Mafia
Norte-14
Norteños
NWA Bloods
Outlaws MC
People Nation
P-NOX
Queensmore Bloods
Real Street *****s
Red Devils MC
Rollin 20’s Crips
Rollin 30’s Crips
Rollin 40’s Crips
Rollin 60’s Crips
Savoy Heights Posse
Seabrook Bloods
Sex Shaw Road Crips
South Central 81st Crips
Sur-13
Tiny Rascals Gang
Trap Squad
United Blood Nation
Valentine’s Day
Vatos Locos
Westside MOB Piru
Westside Piru

Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Honestly, crime in Chapel Hill (or most of the Triangle area) is nothing to worry about.

Gangs? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I can't recall ever having heard of any significant criminal activity that was attributed to gang activity in Chapel Hill.
I would definitely agree that gang activity is just something that does not concern me, at all, in the whole triangle area. I've never personally seen any, and don't have any reason to believe I ever will. However, wasn't it essentially gang related shooting that brought the Apple Chill festival to and end several years back? I'm not trying to worry the OP, but I do think it exists on some small scale at least.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:22 PM

31 posts, read 30,139 times
My gosh - I just read the whole document that CLAN posted (and thank you for that - it was good). The gang activity nationwide is terrifying. Like I said, I know California is bad but we live in a pocket in South OC, and apparent gang activity is no where to be seen. It's like living in a Norman Rockwell painting here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary