Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:55 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times

Advertisements

The frost line in the RTP is 18 inches.

Builders do not build a basement unless the have to due to the slope of the lot and when they do it is usually poorly drained an protected from moisture.

The crawl space seldom if ever has a rat slab or is a conditioned space.

Makes for a low cost build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I'm thinking about moving back up North because I miss a basement so much.

Basements are ideal for things like hot water heaters and a furnace, in my opinion.

Also, don't even think about storing anything valuable in an attic here in the Raleigh area. If the attic isn't insulated your belongings will get cooked by the heat within a couple of Summers. This is why you see so many people in this area using their garage for storage.
I'm a big fan of finishing off attics. Climate-controlled storage. Easier to do while building.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I have a full walk-out basement now, plus basement level storage room w/ outside entrance. I grew up with a walk-up attic. I prefer the attics, but basements are nice for access to HVAC and pipes, etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Are there any special precautions that need to be taken on a 3rd floor, or finished walk-up attic in the summer months here in NC? I know many of my friends who run a dehumidifier constantly in their basements, even though they are walk-out basements! That also runs up their electricity bill. The heat will definitely be high in the summer months on that 3rd floor!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Are there any special precautions that need to be taken on a 3rd floor, or finished walk-up attic in the summer months here in NC? I know many of my friends who run a dehumidifier constantly in their basements, even though they are walk-out basements! That also runs up their electricity bill. The heat will definitely be high in the summer months on that 3rd floor!
You can fry an egg in my attic during the summer and that's with a good soffit system, ridge vent and roof ventilators.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 45,726 times
Moisture in basements is easily solved, assuming the underlying concrete block or floor isn't damaged. Two heavy coats of UGL Drylock or similar waterproofer will seal up block walls, and also brighten things up significantly.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Basements are awesome because of how well they moderate temperature in the summer and winter. You just can't get that in an attic or finished 3rd floor.

Basements also allow you to put in an apartment and charge $1,000/month rent for a 1 bedroom pimped out basement apartment. Thank goodness for accessory dwelling units! Now that makes a basement add big $$$ when an appraiser comes out. A 700 sq foot basement apartment added almost $50,000 to the value.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 45,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Basements also allow you to put in an apartment and charge $1,000/month rent for a 1 bedroom pimped out basement apartment. Thank goodness for accessory dwelling units! Now that makes a basement add big $$$ when an appraiser comes out. A 700 sq foot basement apartment added almost $50,000 to the value.
Wait, in this area? Or are we talking about a different planet? How's the air there?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
You can fry an egg in my attic during the summer and that's with a good soffit system, ridge vent and roof ventilators.
I think he's referring to a finished attic. Surely your finished attic isn't that warm?

Ours is quite cool and comfortable. We do have it on its own heat pump system, though.

It is regularly used, and there's almost always someone up there.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Basements are awesome because of how well they moderate temperature in the summer and winter. You just can't get that in an attic or finished 3rd floor.

That's not going to be the case in most of the neighborhoods around here because most are HOA and renting out a separate apartment is against the HOA regulations in most neighborhoods where I've lived in the Triangle.

Not saying you couldn't do it anyway, but I am pretty confident that my house wouldn't appraise for that much more if I had a finished basement (I do have one of those, in fact, in the other house we own and it could be used as an apartment and it is as large as you indicated here).

Again, that's in an HOA neighborhood, which is what the majority of the people coming here to ask about new neighborhoods will be buying in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary