Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Don't put your holiday candles in the attic! They'll melt into one big blob and engulf everything around them. That's my advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Are there any special precautions that need to be taken on a 3rd floor, or finished walk-up attic in the summer months here in NC? I know many of my friends who run a dehumidifier constantly in their basements, even though they are walk-out basements! That also runs up their electricity bill. The heat will definitely be high in the summer months on that 3rd floor!
We have a finished attic. It's actually more comfortable in the summer than the second floor - no south facing windows, and (I suspect) better insulation. Town of Cary required a ridiculously high R value on the insulation (higher than national building code) but - it all worked out, even though it meant building out the rafters to accommodate the thicker insulation. It worked, we don't have to run the AC like crazy or use extra fans when it's hot. It was BRUTAL up there before we had it finished.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
During our house hunting here I have not seen a house with a basement, new construction or re-sale. As a previous poster said they are uncommon in the area due to many factors. With regards to the attics, the ones that had walk ups were big and had a lot of space. The one thing I found odd was in most instances the builder framed for walls on each side, however, they did not wire for any additional electrical outlets or light fixtures. They also didn't add vents for the a/c system in the attic. I was also told that to finish the attic it could add as much as 15k to the cost of the build.

When we leave here I will miss my finished basement and finished walk up attic.

I found the bold comment to be interesting.
If you really prefer a basement house, you should easily be able to find basements in homes at any price point.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi_Hokie View Post
Moisture in basements is easily solved, assuming the underlying concrete block or floor isn't damaged. Two heavy coats of UGL Drylock or similar waterproofer will seal up block walls, and also brighten things up significantly.
Anyone engineer will tell you this is a bad idea. Water will always find a way in - always - you're just delaying the inevitable and causing problems with the outside of the wall by preventing it from draining where it wants/needs to go.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anyone engineer will tell you this is a bad idea. Water will always find a way in - always - you're just delaying the inevitable and causing problems with the outside of the wall by preventing it from draining where it wants/needs to go.
Agreed.

Keeping the water and water pressure off the wall and off the foundation footers should be a far higher priority than trying to seal the wall from the inside.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Basements are awesome because of how well they moderate temperature in the summer and winter. You just can't get that in an attic or finished 3rd floor.

Basements also allow you to put in an apartment and charge $1,000/month rent for a 1 bedroom pimped out basement apartment. Thank goodness for accessory dwelling units! Now that makes a basement add big $$$ when an appraiser comes out. A 700 sq foot basement apartment added almost $50,000 to the value.
I am from Long Island, and basement apartments are always illegal. Period. That place is the kind of the illegal basement apartment, but having one doesn't add any value to your house unless the buyer is a complete fool.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
I am from Long Island, and basement apartments are always illegal. Period. That place is the kind of the illegal basement apartment, but having one doesn't add any value to your house unless the buyer is a complete fool.
The only basement apartments I know of are walk outs in older areas of Raleigh. I cannot see how any would add much to the appraisal value of a SFH, because people sell those and call that space an in law or teen suite. I do know of a good many garage apartments over detached garages. I don't know about the legal issues with them. Just know they are more common here.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 AM

160 posts, read 235,073 times
A while back someone pointed out to me that one reason you don't see a lot of basements is that they result in smaller homes for the same money. Since a basement costs money, you have to charge more for it. Or, if you want to keep costs the same, you have to build a smaller house.

So, when you go to buy a house and tell the realtor that your budget is X, you'll see smaller homes with basements vs. larger homes without basements. While there are some that will opt for the smaller home with the basement, many will not - making the home harder to sell.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. When we bought our last house we had a choice like this. We went with the larger house.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 AM

28 posts, read 45,734 times
Quote:
All solvable problems.

Moisture in basements: causes and solutions : Moisture Management : Housing and Technology : Environment : University of Minnesota Extension

Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
You can fry an egg in my attic during the summer and that's with a good soffit system, ridge vent and roof ventilators.
Roof ventilators defeat the desired soffit-to-ridge air flow. Your attic will be cooler if you eliminate them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary