Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:42 PM

80 posts, read 136,041 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I've read that basements are rare in homes in NC (or parts of NC). I am particularly interested in the Triangle area and am wondering if this is the case there.

Also wonder whether homes in the Triangle area have attics.

For basements and/or attics, is there a difference between newer and older homes? (Thinking I'd prefer newer.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
some have basements, some have attics, some have neither. Coming from the north, I dislike not having a basement. I had both a walk up attic and a basement and now have neither, but you can find homes that have one or the other, or both. they are just harder to come by.
If you search the threads this topic came up a while back.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:08 PM

28 posts, read 45,756 times
I'm from New England, love a full-size basement.

Attics are far more common (but far less useful, IMHO...)

Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Basements are daylight basements which mean that the lot must be somewhat sloped to allow the basement. We don't build them down into the ground.

If you buy brand new, the basement will be costly...could be $20,000 to $40,000 (unfinished). When you sell, the appraiser will give that basement a value of about $10,000. So, beware if you are the first buyer.

Many people here do not care for basements. They are wet and damp in this area (high water table, I've been told by contractors).

Attics tend to hold lots of junk. The more space you have for that junk, the more junk you will "save". I have a full size attic (3rd floor). Hubby has empty boxes from computers that died 10 years ago. Not sure why he won't part with them! I'm thinking hoarder!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
I am not a basement fan, I would rather have more square footage on the main level or second floor. I never liked the basements up north with the tiny windows. That said you can get a home with a daylight/walkout basement here. It means part of the basement is at ground level, not underground, that is how they are done here. Funny part is, if you are buying new construction, you will pay more for a basement lot! The builders need to cash in on the transplants who can't live without a basement.

I think more homes here have an attic then a basement. Most with pull down steps not a full walk up but can find that too.

EDIT: Vicki typed faster then me!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Basements are daylight basements which mean that the lot must be somewhat sloped to allow the basement. We don't build them down into the ground.

If you buy brand new, the basement will be costly...could be $20,000 to $40,000 (unfinished). When you sell, the appraiser will give that basement a value of about $10,000. So, beware if you are the first buyer.

Many people here do not care for basements. They are wet and damp in this area (high water table, I've been told by contractors).

Attics tend to hold lots of junk. The more space you have for that junk, the more junk you will "save". I have a full size attic (3rd floor). Hubby has empty boxes from computers that died 10 years ago. Not sure why he won't part with them! I'm thinking hoarder!

So very true, which we discovered when we moved, BUT for an ebay queen like me, not having either is making my home's actual living area look like I am a hoarder! My one DD is begging me to go back to teaching. I NEED a basement or attic.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I am not a basement fan, I would rather have more square footage on the main level or second floor. I never liked the basements up north with the tiny windows. That said you can get a home with a daylight/walkout basement here. It means part of the basement is at ground level, not underground, that is how they are done here. Funny part is, if you are buying new construction, you will pay more for a basement lot! The builders need to cash in on the transplants who can't live without a basement.

I think more homes here have an attic then a basement. Most with pull down steps not a full walk up but can find that too.

EDIT: Vicki typed faster then me!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Most homes here have attics than basements, unless you get that walkout type that Vicki described. The only homes I've ever been in around here with basements that were NOT walkout were ITB and older... much older.

A walk-up attic is rather nice.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Most homes here have attics than basements, unless you get that walkout type that Vicki described. The only homes I've ever been in around here with basements that were NOT walkout were ITB and older... much older.

A walk-up attic is rather nice.
During our house hunting here I have not seen a house with a basement, new construction or re-sale. As a previous poster said they are uncommon in the area due to many factors. With regards to the attics, the ones that had walk ups were big and had a lot of space. The one thing I found odd was in most instances the builder framed for walls on each side, however, they did not wire for any additional electrical outlets or light fixtures. They also didn't add vents for the a/c system in the attic. I was also told that to finish the attic it could add as much as 15k to the cost of the build.

When we leave here I will miss my finished basement and finished walk up attic.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
I'm thinking about moving back up North because I miss a basement so much.

Basements are ideal for things like hot water heaters and a furnace, in my opinion.

Also, don't even think about storing anything valuable in an attic here in the Raleigh area. If the attic isn't insulated your belongings will get cooked by the heat within a couple of Summers. This is why you see so many people in this area using their garage for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary