Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:48 PM

304 posts, read 369,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I was a go to person for most of my career. For things to get done, they had to go through me. I felt great satisfaction being a part of making sure things worked efficiently. Then my health took an unexpected nosedive and now I am relegated to a recliner, walker, wheelchair, etc. I have very limited amounts of consecutive time that I can even sit up straight. The privilege of being allowed to moderate on C.D. helps me feel like I have a purpose again. I am very thankful for this opportunity.
Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Only question is WHY? Time is money. There are a lot of things I would consider volunteering to do, but none of them would feed someone else's revenue machine.

I know as a volunteer you can walk away from it if you get weary. I'm just curious what you get out of it on a personal level?
Well, to be frank, you start out thinking it would be nice to help out, then you sort of get sucked into it and before you know it, you feel like you'd be lazy if you quit.

I'm sure there's a psychology behind it. I know that I'm not nearly so devoted a moderator as some of the other mods here. I remove things when I'm around to remove them. If I'm not around to remove them, the other mods know that I welcome their assistance.

Some have more time to devote than others.

I think I keep doing it because I find people fascinating.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM

304 posts, read 369,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, to be frank, you start out thinking it would be nice to help out, then you sort of get sucked into it and before you know it, you feel like you'd be lazy if you quit.

I'm sure there's a psychology behind it. I know that I'm not nearly so devoted a moderator as some of the other mods here. I remove things when I'm around to remove them. If I'm not around to remove them, the other mods know that I welcome their assistance.

Some have more time to devote than others. I think I keep doing it because I find people fascinating.
There have been a few times when I set out with good intentions, to pitch in, help out, etc. But, inevitably it seems like there becomes a point at which I have a WTF moment where I reflect and think to myself "they just aren't paying me enough to keep doing this.... hey wait! they aren't paying me ANYTHING to do this!!"... then, something inside me ventures out and finds a way to do same while making money. I think I've actually made most of my nest egg that way

Old 02-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
There have been a few times when I set out with good intentions, to pitch in, help out, etc. But, inevitably it seems like there becomes a point at which I have a WTF moment where I reflect and think to myself "they just aren't paying me enough to keep doing this.... hey wait! they aren't paying me ANYTHING to do this!!"... then, something inside me ventures out and finds a way to do same while making money. I think I've actually made most of my nest egg that way
Oh... I completely understand. I wouldn't ignore moneymaking opportunities that I found to be important to moderate this site.

Some things, to me, are about learning. I learn a good bit about human interaction here, believe it or not.

If I ever feel that the site has ceased to offer me that as a moderator, I'll quit. I've considered quitting about a dozen times already. At least a dozen. Probably more.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
After reading many news stories on things in my industry and just shaking my head at everything that the media screws up, I've resorted to watching the Daily Show to get my news.

What I've also learned is those who post online typically represent the vocal minority in topics. That, and everyone's a tough guy online.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think I keep doing it because I find people fascinating.
“I drink to make other people more interesting.”
Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-09-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
“I drink to make other people more interesting.”
Ernest Hemingway

True. I often drink while moderating.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
After reading many news stories on things in my industry and just shaking my head at everything that the media screws up, I've resorted to watching the Daily Show to get my news.

What I've also learned is those who post online typically represent the vocal minority in topics. That, and everyone's a tough guy online.
But the Daily Show is so heavily weighted toward one side. Not saying WRAL is right down the middle, but they do a good job overall on local issues. National issues are just regurgitated from the AP, which has their own issues. When I read the WRAL comments, I filter out the over the top comments from the hard core left and right and then evaluate what is left. One can actually learn a thing or two if they are open to listening to opposing views.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
But the Daily Show is so heavily weighted toward one side. Not saying WRAL is right down the middle, but they do a good job overall on local issues. National issues are just regurgitated from the AP, which has their own issues. When I read the WRAL comments, I filter out the over the top comments from the hard core left and right and then evaluate what is left. One can actually learn a thing or two if they are open to listening to opposing views.
The Daily Show is a comedy show.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The Daily Show is a comedy show.
Yes, I know......but some people actually use it for what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary