Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm going to get flack for this but, why does every educated parent that has a child with behavior issues believe it's because they are so gifted that they can't act right in a normal school environment.

My child is brilliant too when she is doing what she wants ,how she wants. A truly gifted good student is able to learn in a classroom with rules and structure.

There has been that one child in each of her grades that just refused to act right and each time I've met their parents it's always the same excuses about how they aren't being challenged or they have some special power while the teacher and fellow students suffer through the disturbances everyday.
You're only going to get flack because you're being judgmental, not constructive or informative. You also appear ignorant because you made a statement as if though it was factual when it's entirely opinion.

My oldest son was designated as gifted fairly early, much to our relief and horror (it's a curse of sorts until it's not). We battled every step of the way to keep him on the rails because a typical classroom environment was pure torture for him and we couldn't easily afford private schools.

He graduated High School last Spring and is flourishing in college because he can pace himself, is taking classes that he's chosen and which engage him and is able to have meaningful conversations with his professors. He recently offered a remarkable oral dissertation of sorts about what's wrong with traditional education, enlightening my wife and I on exactly how difficult it was for him to conform.

To the Original Poster, go get 'em and do whatever you feel is in your child's best interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
page of wake county - about page

they just had one of their big super saturday events at meredith. One of my friends did a course for parents on over excitability in gifted students, anxiety, perfectionism and asychronistic social and emotional behaviors. Get yourself on their email list serve, its agreat resource to ask questions such as your original post. It usually takes 24 hours for email questions to go out.
thank you!!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You're only going to get flack because you're being judgmental, not constructive or informative. You also appear ignorant because you made a statement as if though it was factual when it's entirely opinion.

My oldest son was designated as gifted fairly early, much to our relief and horror (it's a curse of sorts until it's not). We battled every step of the way to keep him on the rails because a typical classroom environment was pure torture for him and we couldn't easily afford private schools.

He graduated High School last Spring and is flourishing in college because he can pace himself, is taking classes that he's chosen and which engage him and is able to have meaningful conversations with his professors. He recently offered a remarkable oral dissertation of sorts about what's wrong with traditional education, enlightening my wife and I on exactly how difficult it was for him to conform.

To the Original Poster, go get 'em and do whatever you feel is in your child's best interests.
I was one of those "gifted" kids who was labeled as such from a very young age. I loved elementary school (the regular environment was totally fine by me, but we did have some modifications in classes back in the 70s that allowed kids to work ahead, especially in reading... which was the area in which I excelled the most).

I began to hate school in high school and I didn't make stellar grades. College, however, was another matter. I loved it. I still do. I think I might be collecting degrees, but it's fun to me.

I think I would have done better in a nontraditional high school environment, such as a Montessori. I did attend a magnet and that helped some... my grades weren't terrible, I just dropped off the honor roll in high school and didn't get back onto it (well, the Dean's list) until college.

Not all kids learn equally well in all environments. My eldest thrived in Montessori, for example. I'm not sure my daughter would do well in it because she needs a bit more structure. I think my middle child would've done better in Montessori. I wish we'd lived near one when he was at a good age to switch schools.

Bottom line is: parents have to choose what they feel is best for their kids.

I do agree that not every kid is some sort of genius (which you'd think was the case if you read enough posts on City-Data), but I DO think that every kid has something they really excel at. The trick is finding out what. And the greatschools ranking doesn't mean much other than to tell you how good one school in a given area is compared to the other for the AVERAGE kid.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Pegotty, you can come over here to Lake Wobegon—I mean Chapel Hill—where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Thank you. I have the feeling we can't afford the testing. Don't schools provide it for free? Can you give me a rough idea of how much it costs?

I just found the fees on their webpage. If anyone can tell me if this is offered for free through the public school system, that would be great.
The school will test him but it won't anywhere near what you'd get doing it privately. Yes, it's $$$$.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
It ran about $2000 privately when we had it done.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 PM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
I have a very gifted 10 year old. He taught himself Japanese through tutorials online--he can speak, read, and write it. We applied and got in to Washington Magnet when he was in Kindergarten. HE LOVES IT. The electives keep things interesting for them and the AIG program is great. He got into Duke TiP this year as well. There is a new Principal (both of his sons attended Washington in elementary school) and Vice Principal and they are fantastic. I love the school and my twins are now there this year as well--one in Kindergarten and one in AU1. I have 3 kids that run the gamut and their AU program is as wonderful as their AIG program. I am confident all three of my children with different needs are getting what they need and are flourishing.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM

360 posts, read 516,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
YES! THIS!

OP - Combs and Washington would be on my list, along with Sterling. Maybe Woods Charter as well, but the application window might be closed. If I had a HG kid and was new to the area I might choose to base myself in Chapel Hill, because they seem to serve those kids well.

Disclaimer - I'm new to the area and did some research for my own pre-k kid this year, so I have mostly second hand information and opinions from talking to the administration, teachers, etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I expected some people to disagree with me. That's what's great about this forum. If everyone gave me a high five it would get pretty dull for everyone.

I'm sorry if the OP was offended. No, I have never met your child and I'm not and educator or a child psychologist. They really might be a brilliant mind but in the words of a friend of mine, "Does this kid speak 5 languages and play 3 instruments?" Then chances are they aren't really that exceptional.

My issue is with the current trend of parents excusing bad behavior because their kid is supposedly too smart to act right in the classroom. It's odd because if it's a black kid they have behavior issues but if it's a white kid then they aren't being stimulated. The OP is talking about 2nd grade , not a high school honors program or a military school. Just regular ole 2nd grade with 7-8 year olds.

Wether intentional or not the beginning of the post was full of red flags that this kid is in control of his education. An 8 year old is making his educational decisions and the parent is allowing it. My kid is pretty savvy but she doesn't choose the house I buy or the family car. It sounds that this kid has decided that they want to do things their way and the parents are ok with that.

Socialization is a big part of elementary grades and I worry about kids who aren't expected to do their best because it's not the way they want to do things. It sets a bad precedent about what it takes to succeed in life.

When people complain about snowflake kids and adult entitlement issues a lot of its due to raising kids like this. What happens when a kid like this goes to HS and college,what about a real world job?

My daughter has had different teachers. Some she liked, some she didn't. I agreed with some teaching methods while disliking others but I felt it was equally important for her to understand that she was expected to do her best academically and socially whether it fit either of our ideas about what we would prefer from the learning experience. I'm prouder when she succeeds in the face of adversity, then just excelling in things that she finds easy and fun.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I expected some people to disagree with me. That's what's great about this forum. If everyone gave me a high five it would get pretty dull for everyone.

I'm sorry if the OP was offended. No, I have never met your child and I'm not and educator or a child psychologist. They really might be a brilliant mind but in the words of a friend of mine, "Does this kid speak 5 languages and play 3 instruments?" Then chances are they aren't really that exceptional.

My issue is with the current trend of parents excusing bad behavior because their kid is supposedly too smart to act right in the classroom. It's odd because if it's a black kid they have behavior issues but if it's a white kid then they aren't being stimulated. The OP is talking about 2nd grade , not a high school honors program or a military school. Just regular ole 2nd grade with 7-8 year olds.

Wether intentional or not the beginning of the post was full of red flags that this kid is in control of his education. An 8 year old is making his educational decisions and the parent is allowing it. My kid is pretty savvy but she doesn't choose the house I buy or the family car. It sounds that this kid has decided that they want to do things their way and the parents are ok with that.

Socialization is a big part of elementary grades and I worry about kids who aren't expected to do their best because it's not the way they want to do things. It sets a bad precedent about what it takes to succeed in life.

When people complain about snowflake kids and adult entitlement issues a lot of its due to raising kids like this. What happens when a kid like this goes to HS and college,what about a real world job?

My daughter has had different teachers. Some she liked, some she didn't. I agreed with some teaching methods while disliking others but I felt it was equally important for her to understand that she was expected to do her best academically and socially whether it fit either of our ideas about what we would prefer from the learning experience. I'm prouder when she succeeds in the face of adversity, then just excelling in things that she finds easy and fun.
I hesitated to respond to this because your ignorance is really showing here. You should really educate yourself on something before you offer advice one it. Maybe I'm a fool for taking the bait, but here is my last word on it...

1- Giftedness comes in many different forms. Giftedness is the potential, talent is the fruit when one has the opportunity to be educated in one's gifts. Just because someone doesn't have the opportunity to grow educationally makes them no less gifted. It's just sad that their potential wasn't realized and very frustrating for the person who didn't get the training they needed. The hope in gifted education is that all children should reach their potential.

2- You are correct that there is a very unfair advantage given to white children. I have myself seen black children treated differently from my own white children for the exact same behavior. You seem to be implying that the white child should also be treated with dominance, impatience and a lack of understanding of what they need in order to grow to their fullest potential. How sad. I would rather see it the other way... that children of all ethnicities have the opportunities and education to grow into their unique talents.

3- You would suggest that a student not have a say in his/her education? My biggest struggle with teaching my own child is that I haven't yet found something that he doesn't already know intuitively, particularly in math. Would you suggest that I just force feed him addition and subtraction like a normal first grader even though he is doing much more advanced math in his head? What the heck do you do with a child when, every skill you try to introduce, he already knows how to do it? How would you suggest I figure out what he needs to learn and on what level if I'm not communicating with him about what concepts he already understands? Honestly, I can't even imagine what you are suggesting here.

You know, I really have no idea why you are commenting on this thread. You obviously have no personal experience in my situation, haven't spent any time educating yourself on gifted education and don't have anything helpful to add regarding my original question. Is your purpose seriously just to try and convince me that I'm a horrible parent and doing a disservice to American citizens by parenting in a way that you deem inappropriate?

Last edited by Ellen Pitts; 02-10-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary