Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Apparently it had to do with a parking dispute, not religion

Although not clear, I suspect it was about religion/culture--the parking dispute was simply the triggering event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM

210 posts, read 319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
Ok... if you say so. It seems pretty obvious to me.
First part of your comment was unnecessary. The motive is clear(er) now that I've had a chance to read more about it, hear the facts released so far, and see the news.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I'm skeptical about that. Sounds like a ploy to get out of the hate crime category for a lesser punishment.
He can always try and pled insanity, to get out of the death penalty, if the prosecution decides to make it a death penalty case.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
C_Lan, I only know what I have read, but one of the articles did say that the victims had had problems with him before, so maybe over parking, or possibly over something more.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical about that. Sounds like a ploy to get out of the hate crime category for a lesser punishment.
Yeah, because killing three people over a parking space is likely to get you out of prison in a couple of years and if it was due to religion he's likely to get life?

I would not be surprised at all if cultural differences and prejudices played some role in escalating the parking dispute or whatever was going on, but it doesn't sound like the guy targeted them solely due to hating Muslims and I certainly don't see Chapel Hill police trying to somehow help the guy out. Either way, this guy is not going to live another free day, even if he pleads out. (and since he is cooperating, hopefully he will do so and spare us all the trial).

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
So hard to believe there are people out there like that.
Horrific...
Ever hear of ISIS? Aryans? KKK?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
He'll have multiple options for pleading and a savvy lawyer will guide accordingly. I'm just skeptical is all. Who knows what his real trigger was.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

210 posts, read 319,058 times
Quote:
He'll have multiple options for pleading and a savvy lawyer will guide accordingly. I'm just skeptical is all. Who knows what his real trigger was.
This is what might make it challenging. Initial reports said it was due to a parking dispute. Now there's lots of speculation about religion\hate. Once his name was released and people could view his FB profile, that led to even more speculation. The whole situation is tragic. Now let's hope this guy is kept locked up for a long time. Seems like a loose nut.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

606 posts, read 903,119 times
I think we should just wait for more information to come out and stop trying to solve it all in a day. There is already a thread over in P&OC for the debates(arguments) about the situation.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah, because killing three people over a parking space is likely to get you out of prison in a couple of years and if it was due to religion he's likely to get life?

I would not be surprised at all if cultural differences and prejudices played some role in escalating the parking dispute or whatever was going on, but it doesn't sound like the guy targeted them solely due to hating Muslims and I certainly don't see Chapel Hill police trying to somehow help the guy out. Either way, this guy is not going to live another free day, even if he pleads out. (and since he is cooperating, hopefully he will do so and spare us all the trial).
I think that's the case. A hate crime is a federal offense and I *thought* subject to different minimum and maximum penalties. But yes it may be irrelevant since the nature of the crime may bring about life in jail anyway but I'm willing to bet that his lawyers will steer away from a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary