Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 31,125 times

Advertisements

I will agree with everyone else on the board. My eldest has been in the top of his class since 1st grade {he's in 3rd now} in reading but his writing level is at a first grade level {for whatever reason he can read but can't spell}. My youngest is starting to become a strong reader much easier than my eldest was at his age. Alot of things I've noticed is what they like to read. They don't really like books much but have been much more into comics {there's a great store a ways away from my house that sells older comics for a buck each}. And as weird as it may be the tv has helped both of my boys with reading. Mainly meaning that when they are using the guide they are able to read what tv shows are on and such and knowing those words has transpired in their actual reading. Definitely don't get down on the kid if he's having trouble reading or doing anything else. My oldest can't remember how to tie his shoes to save his life but my youngest picked it up and had it down pat after the third time of me showing him. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, just make them feel comfortable with where they are at and give them encouragement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Wow. 32 responses in 24 hours. That's probably a record for one of my posts.

To be honest, the title of my thread was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, as we had such a "spirited" discussion about gifted children earlier in the day. As with RedZin, I find it amazing that every parent who moves to Raleigh and posts on this board is looking for "only the best school" for their gifted child.

Anyway, thank you all for the responses. Some of the advice will be useful, some not so much. Both parents work in our household, and by the time we all get home from the office and school, prepare and eat dinner, clean up the dishes, and get the kids their baths, it's usually 7pm and almost time for the youngest to get to bed. We use that last 30 minutes before bed as his time to practice reading, which is not the best as he is usually tired and cranky by then. I've been reading "The Hungry Caterpillar" with him for weeks, and he still cannot read it. He's memorized some parts, but I can tell that he is relying on that to get through the book. Fitting in extra time for reading during the week would be impossible, and this includes hiring a tutor. We could do a little extra time on the weekends, but we already know that our methods are not working (or he's just not ready to read yet), so that seems somewhat pointless as well.

I was hoping to get other recommendations on schools with reading/writing-focused summer camps, but in scanning through the 30-some-odd posts, I did not see any. I do not like the idea of waiting until first term of first grade, as his kindergarten teacher has already identified that he is struggling in class to complete his work. He came home last Friday with 5 or 6 worksheets that he did not finish in class, and instructions to complete them over the weekend and turn in on Monday. If we have to sign him up for summer camp anyway (and we do as both of us work) I'd like part of the day to be devoted to improving his reading/writing skills, instead of just playing all day. Don't get me wrong. . . I think that play is important and I wish he had more time to do both.

I just found this is a camp directory sent home by WCPSS. NC State is running a summer reading skills program, they have 3 programs for 4 year olds through entering 2nd grade. The program is addressing becoming a fluent reader. For info call 800-903-0162. I do not know anything about the program and have not tried it but it sounded like what you were asking for. It looks like these are 45min classes, not sure if it will work with your schedule but take a look.

I know others have touched on this but I also agree with making reading fun with they are working with you by picking books they like. The library's have large easy reader sections with many popular series. I am not sure what your child likes, be it Legos, star wars, curious George or something else. I have just found that allowing them to pick some of their favorites, gets them excited for reading time. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I have to embarrassingly agree with the poster who mentioned reading the show guides off TV. My kid could find her show in a heartbeat and was always typing in what she wanted to watch, much earlier then when she was reading printed work. Goes back to my theory on kids being brilliant when they are doing something they want to do.

One toy that I like was the Leapfrog Tag reader pen. It comes with books that you run the pen over the words and it can do reading,spelling,pronunciation etc.. The books come in levels that are meant to teach reading skills. They have been out for some years but I'm sure they still sale.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
One toy that I like was the Leapfrog Tag reader pen. It comes with books that you run the pen over the words and it can do reading,spelling,pronunciation etc.. The books come in levels that are meant to teach reading skills. They have been out for some years but I'm sure they still sale.
Yes, these are great, my oldest had the v-tech version and it was a great fun but educational reading toy. I think v-tech has replaced it with their tablets which unfortunately are more expensive. They are good products too but more costly. Again, I think what kids like is they are reading about characters they like.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Thanks for the additional recommendations. . . .

As I said in my previous post, both parents work in our home, so our limited after-school time makes hiring a tutor difficult, unless it is for an hour or two on the weekend, which seems trivial. Also, we need a full time daycare or summer camp, so signing him up for an hour long class is not going to work either.

Our oldest son (taught himself to read at 3 1/2, jeez) had a Leap Frog and a V-Tech, so we know that they can be very beneficial. But the younger son (will be 6 in 2 months) refuses to have any part of them. We've tried.

We have a TV with the TV-Guide as well. I've seen him scrolling through the listings, but he barely can determine what letter his favorite shows start with, let alone typing the show name into the search function. I often find some of my recorded shows started and then stopped because he will just hit the play button to see what the show is, rather than reading the title.

I will see if his elementary school has some kind of summer school. I have not heard it mentioned before though.

Last edited by NewUser; 02-13-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
I was just cruising the forums, and noted this title and initial sentence, and it just caused me to cringe - - how could a parent of any child, regardless of their issues, refer to them as "not the sharpest tool in the shed" ?????????? Sorry - this just doesn't cut it in my book.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I was just cruising the forums, and noted this title and initial sentence, and it just caused me to cringe - - how could a parent of any child, regardless of their issues, refer to them as "not the sharpest tool in the shed" ?????????? Sorry - this just doesn't cut it in my book.
Oh, you're right. He might log on to City-Data and read my post. Gosh. What was I thinking?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post

I think it says boatloads about a parent who can be honest about their child to their self. I would rather my kid play with his kid than your kid because his kid is taught life rather than fantasy land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We have a TV with the TV-Guide as well. I've seen him scrolling through the listings, but he barely can determine what letter his favorite shows start with, let alone typing the show name into the search function. I often find some of my recorded shows started and then stopped because he will just hit the play button to see what the show is, rather than reading the title.
Does he not know the alphabet yet?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
that has more to do with phonics than knowing the alphabet.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM

35 posts, read 31,125 times
Just a helpful bit with the TV and movies/games/apps what have you. Pick something he likes {transformers/spongebob/whatever} and work with him on those letters/words. My youngest started with that first before actually starting to read. He'd say it has an S like Spongebob. That's the biggest thing I've found is just getting kids into it however they start to get interested. Being interested is a big plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary