Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times

Advertisements

A member of my family was ticketed for driving a vehicle with expired tags. In the time between ticket and court the car has been sold. Does anyone know what the process is to resolve the ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
Bring documentation of the sale to the DA. They will most likely dismiss.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Pay up. Someone in your family was driving a car you owned at the time, and it had expired tags. You were evading a tax. I would have no reason to expect that they will dismiss. Tax avoidance is not a crime. Tax EVASION is.

Worth a try, though.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Pay up. Someone in your family was driving a car you owned at the time, and it had expired tags. You were evading a tax. I would have no reason to expect that they will dismiss. Tax avoidance is not a crime. Tax EVASION is.

Worth a try, though.
The tax would have been way, way cheaper than buying the cars replacement. It was during the required inspection that a major repair was identified which would have cost as much as a down payment. Trust me, Wake County is making quite a bit more from this transaction than if I simply brought the original vehicle up to speed.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Trust me, Wake County is making quite a bit more from this transaction than if I simply brought the original vehicle up to speed.
But look at it this way: Wake County can make even MORE by enforcing the "driving with expired tags" citation, in addition to your selling the vehicle and purchasing another one.

I'm just telling you how government bureaucracy works (most of the time). Again, though, worth a try to tell the judge that you sold it. I've been known to try to squirm out a time or two.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
If you owned thec at at the time if the ticket I doubt they will dismiss it. Are you worried about other charges like the car tax?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,884,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

Worth a try, though.
The problem is that under the new NC joint process for getting vehicles inspected and paying the tax when renewing the registration sticker would have prevented the OP from paying the tax until the tag registration was renewed AFTER vehicle inspection which is impossible now that the car has been sold.

Normally the charges would be dismissed upon proof of renewed tag registration. Also not known is how far over due the tag was, so hard to say what the court or DA might do with this. However, there is an inspection DMV waiver application process available for vehicles needing documented emissions repairs costing above I think $200 so the OP still had no excuse for driving the car with an expired tag due to repair cost issues.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Go to court with your documentation, be prepared to pay. Be nice to the ADA and explain what you did here. See what they say. It is possible they may be understanding and let you off.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
I'm an attorney that practices in Wake. Take the documentation and it will most likely get dismissed. Pm me if you need help. This board is always full of bad legal advice.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 PM

260 posts, read 546,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
A member of my family was ticketed for driving a vehicle with expired tags. In the time between ticket and court the car has been sold. Does anyone know what the process is to resolve the ticket?
It's worth a shot, as suggested, to try to have it dismissed.

I cringe every time that I see a thread about a ticket, accident, whatever. All of the "shame on you" and "I'm so much better than you because I would never" and "you deserve it" and "I know better than anyone else what happened when I wasn't even there" starts to come out instead of help. (I experienced this when I asked a questioned about something I witnessed, and was chided for daring to ask and how many of those that replied knew what happened. I've rarely posted since then.)

Good luck. Hope that it is easily resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary