Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM

138 posts, read 154,165 times

Advertisements

I can see the value of owning and maintaining less and downsizing to an energy efficient home under 800 square feet for 2 adults. This could possibly provide more time for travel, hobbies, etc. outside of work instead of spending as much time for maintenance of a larger home. Utilities would cost less as well. I have seen TV shows, articles, etc. about the tiny house movement that seems to be picking up some steam from people who are tired of being tied down by their possessions and want to live simpler lives. Seems appealing. Most of them, however, have the bed in a loft above the living space. This is very unappealing to use as we are both closing in on retirement in about five years and don't relish the idea of climbing up and down steep ladders or stairs to get into our bed every night. Also unappealing is the idea of two people living in less than 400 square feet. No "away" space for a wee bit of solitude when needed. There must be something out there in the 600-800 square foot range with a downstairs bedroom, or maybe not. Possibly would have to build on a lot, which brings up another issue…restrictions on size…have to be certain square foot minimums met.

Anyone out there familiar with that to which I am referring, and can give ideas on where in this area such a home could be found for sale or areas to build? I am NOT interested in homes built on wheels than can be transported from place to place. Are there builders in the area whom specialize in these smaller builds? Is there a community of tiny/small homes in the Triangle area? Can anyone speak from experience about life in a home from 600-800 square feet…pluses? challenges? unexpected benefits? We do not want to purchase an existing home under 800 square foot in an economically challenged area. We keep hearing about and seeing articles on lovely little homes in very nice areas (in other parts of the country), and would like to find out if that is feasible in this area.

Last edited by MoMo_Gnome; 02-12-2015 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,714 times
I've been investigating small home living and minimalism for a few years now -- I even posted a thread on it here months ago.

Not sure about options in the Triangle (I am moving there myself from upstate NY in April), but there are tons of house plans out there of all varieties (just find an available lot you like and build) and many prefab and on-site builder options.

Perfect Little House - Small House Plans | Perfect Little House

Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
We have 700 square feet in our beach place(built 1960) and absolutely love it. Wishing to get small here in Raleigh too...just a matter of where

Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Check out Chapel Hill and Carrboro. I think they would be very amenable to an 800 sq ft house. I know there are some tiny homes in the area.

Knock Knock: The Triangle

In the mountains, the Asheville area has several tiny homes, too.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
I soo want one! Imagine the money you could use to travel and see the world.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Doesn't it make more sense to move in to an apartment if you're only looking for 800 square feet?

I like smaller houses too although I don't think anything less than around 1,300 square feet is practical.

If some industrious developer started building sub 1,500 sq ft houses in a nice rural area around Raleigh people would probably be tripping over themselves to buy them. Tons of retiring Baby Boomers want low maintenance ranch homes that forgo things like granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances to help make the houses more affordable.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
If you are looking for new construction I think finding stuff smaller than 1,500 sq/ft is a challenge. But if older homes are an option I would look into the Belvidere Park neighborhood in Raleigh. It is a nice older neighborhood just outside of downtown with smaller homes 750-1,000 square feet. Very affordable price range too IMO.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:19 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
The problem with ultra small houses is they are cheap. Being cheap means certain socio-economic groups tend to own them. You're not going to find the well to do single or married retired couple that take really good care of their homes living in an 800-1000 sq ft home in most areas, except maybe Washington DC, NYC and LA (due to home prices).

I'm huge into efficiency in every day life, but I'm also realistic too.

I think about the only way to accomplish what you're looking for is to buy property and build it on your own.

If you insulate and design it correctly (ie take advantage of sun in winter, shade in summer) you can achieve similar results with a larger home, while having a much greater resale value as well.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
given the number of folks who see developers as evil and greedy, if there was truly enough interest in tiny homes, we'd already have one or more developments. it would be incredibly easy to develop.

Right now, they're still a one-off proposition locally, in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If you are looking for new construction I think finding stuff smaller than 1,500 sq/ft is a challenge. But if older homes are an option I would look into the Belvidere Park neighborhood in Raleigh. It is a nice older neighborhood just outside of downtown with smaller homes 750-1,000 square feet. Very affordable price range too IMO.
Belvidere Park is perfect. I just can't get my wife on board. Location is great! Many of my junior and high school classmates grew up there in the 50's and 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary