Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think he's talking about the forecast for Thursday. It's supposed to be a low of -1 in Chapel Hill.
Oh, never mind.

Yeah, it would be nice if the DOT down here could appreciate the concept of clearing the streets before they re-freeze but I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 AM

6,314 posts, read 5,405,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Oh, never mind.

Yeah, it would be nice if the DOT down here could appreciate the concept of clearing the streets before they re-freeze but I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
Welcome to NC. We get just enough snow most winters to have to shut down for a few days; but not enough to justify the budget for an effective fleet of snow/ice removal equipment.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,594,748 times
A snow plow just went down my road and it looks exactly the same.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM

3,611 posts, read 4,448,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from. It's 30 degrees in Garner right now and the snow is starting to melt off my roof in the sun. If the town had run a plow or salt truck down my street, it would probably melt down to the asphalt this afternoon, but of course that won't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think he's talking about the forecast for Thursday. It's supposed to be a low of -1 in Chapel Hill.
Yeppers. Pretty brutal stuff. I haven't seen below 0 temps IMBY since Mass...and that was awhile ago lol.

Latest GFS is still showing some possible snow for tomorrow too:

Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,856,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yeppers. Pretty brutal stuff. I haven't seen below 0 temps IMBY since Mass...and that was awhile ago lol.

Latest GFS is still showing some possible snow for tomorrow too:
You're very knowledgeable clearly, but you use a lot of terms and acronyms that aren't familiar to us non-weather geeks - would it be possible for you to spell out the terms you use for those of us who are a bit slower?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM

3,611 posts, read 4,448,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You're very knowledgeable clearly, but you use a lot of terms and acronyms that aren't familiar to us non-weather geeks - would it be possible for you to spell out the terms you use for those of us who are a bit slower?
Sorry..GFS is the name of the model, Global Forecast System. It's run 4 times a day (00z, 06z, 18z and 12z) and provides guidance for up to 16 days (384 hrs), though generally unreliable past 168 hrs. This is just 1 model though..there are a few others.

and IMBY is just "in my backyard"

Last edited by LordHelmit; 02-17-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 10:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 5,942,955 times
And "z" is Zulu time...five hours ahead of the Triangle at this time of year (Zulu doesn't observe any sort of daylight savings shifts). So this 12z forecast came out at 7AM our time....forecasting out 36 hours to 00z Thursday, which is 7PM Wednesday night here.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,856,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
And "z" is Zulu time...five hours ahead of the Triangle at this time of year (Zulu doesn't observe any sort of daylight savings shifts). So this 12z forecast came out at 7AM our time....forecasting out 36 hours to 00z Thursday, which is 7PM Wednesday night here.
That as my next question. So, basically GMT?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Welcome to NC. We get just enough snow most winters to have to shut down for a few days; but not enough to justify the budget for an effective fleet of snow/ice removal equipment.
OK, but the equipment exists. When we get 3 or 4 inches, like we did last year, something goes out and plows the streets. Maybe DOT doesn't think it's a big deal for a small storm like last night's, but on a day like today, getting the streets clear (even a little bit) could make the difference between drivable or not drivable for the next 72 hours.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM

2,904 posts, read 5,902,312 times
I've seen a few cars out on my street which is a thick sheet of ice. Didn't see any sliding as I had expected. I wonder if the surface is grippy enough to drive on...and then how it will be after some melting and refreezing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary