Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 04:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That was kind of mean - I was up there after Sandy and it wasn't pretty. You can hardly compare an inch of snow to what Sandy did to the coastal areas up there.
Sandy was really rough, but it wouldn't have done that much damage or taken that long to clean up if it hit Florida. I think that was the general point that Myghost was trying to make. Each part of the country has prep skills tailored to what they can reasonably expect in terms of weather.

There's a balance. Hurricane prep isn't high on anyone's list in NY/NJ/DE because it's so rare to get one that causes any damage.

Same as with us here and snow/ice. We don't get enough to invest extra money in it.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
I know. I love living here but man this is the only thing that frustrates the heck out of me. By wife and I both had to go into work on our off days this week to cover for people who were too scared to drive. And the roads are clear and you can go 70 mph on the highway. Bad roads are when it so white out that someone needs to get out and walk in front of the car because you can't see 5 ft in front of you! Lol
Do you know if it was because they lived in neighborhoods with more slippery roads?

And, why did you have to go in to cover for anyone? You can always say you have plans and cannot make it in, can you not?

I mean, if you're not already scheduled to work.

You chose to go in to work. You could easily have chosen not to go in if you felt like the demands were unreasonable.

Those people may simply have had no desire to get out into the crazy or maybe they had kids and no sitter. You cannot blame your employer for your choice to cover for other people.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 PM

238 posts, read 669,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
When I was a student in WCPSS, we didn't find out until the morning of. It was pretty much standard practice. WCPSS recently started this thing of informing people the night before and people expect it now.

Also, "people" in the places you speak of have snow tires, chains, etc.

Why the hell would anyone in NC buy those unless they worked a "mission critical" type of job where they needed to be prepared for any kind of weather? It's just not cost effective. It's the same as people not putting AC in houses in Maine. They don't need it.

So, if it gets super hot up there 3 days a year and it causes some cancellations and closings, should we make fun of them because they don't have HVAC systems like ours here in NC that can handle 100-degree weather?

If people don't like the way that snow days and inclement weather are handled down here the week or two they happen pretty much EVERY year, I invite them to avail themselves of I-95.

I've never had a snow tire or chain in my life. And they absolutely weren't necessary this week. It's about having some fortitude, taking your time and being careful. It snows every year here, people can figure it out. Days like these past couple equipment should have no impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 05:06 PM

238 posts, read 669,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do you know if it was because they lived in neighborhoods with more slippery roads?

And, why did you have to go in to cover for anyone? You can always say you have plans and cannot make it in, can you not?

I mean, if you're not already scheduled to work.

You chose to go in to work. You could easily have chosen not to go in if you felt like the demands were unreasonable.

Those people may simply have had no desire to get out into the crazy or maybe they had kids and no sitter. You cannot blame your employer for your choice to cover for other people.
My wife went in because she's a nurse in the ICU and people need care. Patients don't stop being critical. Business doesn't stop either when there is an inch of snow on the ground or your street has a little ice on it.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
It snows every year here, people can figure it out.
It certainly does NOT snow every year here. At ALL! There have been many winters when it doesn't snow any. Guess you haven't lived here very long.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
demanding to be notified of school cancellations before a certain time at night is a TOTALLY NEW thing. Growing up in WCPSS, you either found out on the 11 PM news and if you did't see it then, you found out at 5 am.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
I was in public schools LONG before the internet or accurate weather predictions. Outside of significant accumulations the night before we always found out the morning of. That was in NY in the '70s. I find it to be a luxury finding out > 3hrs in advance.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It certainly does NOT snow every year here. At ALL! There have been many winters when it doesn't snow any. Guess you haven't lived here very long.
You're right - it snows enough to cover roads/require plows, etc about once every other or every third year. But the last two have been kinda bad, as well as the cold. Last year it went down to zero here outside of Clayton, and looks like tonight might be there again - twice in two years. Central NC is NOT the tropics - it's the mid-south, and the mid-south gets frigid weather and sometimes, rarely, even huge (20 in. or more) snowstorms. If you want subtropical weather, move to coastal SC/GA or to Florida.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
20 inches or or more is like a once every 50 yrs phenom.

Usually when its in the teens it's clear w/ no precip. This is an unusual event.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
It comes down to this. Some municipalities spend the money to get the equipment to clear the snow and salt/sand the roads.

And a few don't. It's those few that hold back the schools from opening.

Maybe the schools in fuquay should stay closed and the majority open after a snow day, but the entire county? Part of the draw backs for a county wide system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary