Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Made me laugh. If it helps the UK struggles with very small amounts of snow too. Everything grinds to a halt. Once the rail system was paralysed by "the wrong kind of snow"
You just reminded me of a December when we were visiting London and the news kept warning of the freezing fog. LOL.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
They get a lot of that in the mountains here. Grandfather Mountain has some fantastic pictures of rime ice (what the fog is called after it freezes) on their facebook page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah, people constantly whine that taxes are too high, the gas tax on an adjusted basis is lower than ever per vehicle miles driven and there is a huge controversy attempting to deal with that. But somehow, we should invest in equipment that can sit idle most of the year even in a year it is used more than average?
There would have to be an investment in people too, not only for roads but for public properties such as schools.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They get a lot of that in the mountains here. Grandfather Mountain has some fantastic pictures of rime ice (what the fog is called after it freezes) on their facebook page.
Neato. Must Google.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Last time we visited Grandfather Mountain we saw some interesting ice formations:

Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah, people constantly whine that taxes are too high, the gas tax on an adjusted basis is lower than ever per vehicle miles driven and there is a huge controversy attempting to deal with that. But somehow, we should invest in equipment that can sit idle most of the year even in a year it is used more than average?
I don't think anyone is calling for more equipment. Just stating the nanny state we live in has gotten ridiculous with all the closings.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Is it time for a new thread, "Winter Storm 2/24"? WRAL is (as of now) forecasting "Heavy Snow" for that day.
Mike Moss WRAL just reporting that most of the precipitation Mon. and Tues. will be south of us...but something to keep an eye on. I say that's good news

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I don't think anyone is calling for more equipment. Just stating the nanny state we live in has gotten ridiculous with all the closings.
I don't think anything has changed. It as was not unusual at all the miss a week of school for winter weather when I was in school. The bottom line is the schools themselves are frozen over. They don't even have the manpower to clear their own parking lots and sidewalks.

We have a choice, either invest in a tremendous amount of equipment and manpower for 1 week a year or enjoy a week off with your family. I don't see a problem with the latter.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I don't think anything has changed. It as was not unusual at all the miss a week of school for winter weather when I was in school. The bottom line is the schools themselves are frozen over. They don't even have the manpower to clear their own parking lots and sidewalks.

We have a choice, either invest in a tremendous amount of equipment and manpower for 1 week a year or enjoy a week off with your family. I don't see a problem with the latter.
I agree, and would add:
With more and more people able to work from home, and the oncoming GOOG/Gigapower/MAXX development will encourage that trend, there is less need for overinvestment in physical equipment that will seldom be used, but continually maintained.
Yes, it is hard for people who just must be physically at a workplace, but it has always been that way.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

Maybe not, but the same people that throw out sound-bites like "Nanny state" without so much as thinking, are also the ones who throw out words like accountability without really understanding what it means. They are the ones who are first in line to sue whoever is "accountable" when they slip on the ice, which creates a lot of conflict for these people, as they are also busy yapping about nanny-states and ambulance chasers.

As said, we don't have the equipment, it is not justified with the current demand, and the only alternative is to endure when school shuts down for a week. For me it's a chance to value time with my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary