Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Their cuts are all wrong. Total garbage. There is a reason they sell 10 for 100 or whatever ridiculous sale they have every other day. Mass produced out of the 1992 jc Penney catalog. Again, maybe ok for some people, just like some people enjoy a McDonald's burger, not knocking it per se (or you for suggesting), just informing those who are interested.

Ok now I turned my nose up, pretty sharply, damn
LOL.

Yeah... their stuff isn't built to last. We grab sport shirts from there for my husband's work "uniform."

On sale, and when we know we aren't paying much for them. Their tailored cut shirts work with my husband's torso. He hates it when shirts are all big and baggy. He did get hung up on their undershirts MANY years ago and we cannot find any that he likes... I've tried. He does tend to go through good undershirts quickly before they get stretched out of shape because he likes to bleach them and that wrecks the collars.

My husband does have one suit from there, but it's been heavily altered. We bought it in a mad rush several years ago. He rarely wears it, but it has held up well. Probably because he rarely wears it.

He doesn't have to wear suits to work unless he's got a conference to attend or some such. We go elsewhere for nicer things. I like Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers best around here, but I did find a pretty good suit for my eldest (he's 24) at Dillards, so they have good suiting there sometimes.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 AM

9 posts, read 14,287 times
Thanks for the input I appreciate

I will go for Nordstrom and Brooks. However brooks only offers ready to wear am I wrong here ? Spending $800 for a ready to wear hugo boss or brooks suit is a bit overpriced isn't it ? I was expecting a made to measure one for that price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
Brooks has several lines of MTM, including a lower priced line. The fabrics will be more limited, however. If you really want a MTM suit, you should probably budget closer to $1500. That will take you to a much better level at Brooks as well as a couple other places. Check with Kannon's in Cameron Village as to when they are having their trunk sale and then pick up a Samuelsohn MTM suit.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
By the way, if you still want a suit in 2 weeks, you will not be able to get a MTM suit. Turnaround is 6 weeks or more for most places. Unless you have some very unique body measurements, you can get close with a good tailor. I have bought suits from Brooks Brothers, Nordstroms, Ticknors, Kannon's and Dillards. Kannon's does the best job in fitting me and you can usually get quicker turnaround service, which is important if you need additional modifications.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
By the way, if you still want a suit in 2 weeks, you will not be able to get a MTM suit. Turnaround is 6 weeks or more for most places. Unless you have some very unique body measurements, you can get close with a good tailor. I have bought suits from Brooks Brothers, Nordstroms, Ticknors, Kannon's and Dillards. Kannon's does the best job in fitting me and you can usually get quicker turnaround service, which is important if you need additional modifications.
Thanks, so I should aim ready to wear now. Ok then I guess I don't have much choice

Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Good point re M2M and the timeline. Given the 2 weeks I wasn't even thinking about M2M.

If you can get to a suitsupply or are comfortable ordering off of the site and using a local tailor, again depending on your taste, I have yet to see a better RTW product out there. I've done bespoke-->Nordstrom rack and all in between and their stuff is amazing. You must be interested in a more "modern vintage" style, although they do have some plain options and roomier cuts too, but few and far between.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Thank you for your help

Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonixity View Post
Thanks for the input I appreciate

I will go for Nordstrom and Brooks. However brooks only offers ready to wear am I wrong here ? Spending $800 for a ready to wear hugo boss or brooks suit is a bit overpriced isn't it ? I was expecting a made to measure one for that price
Sticker shock, my friend. The last Hugo Boss I purchased at Nordy was up around $800-$900 and that was a few years back. That was OTR, but well tailored. Keep in mind, Boss has a few lines, what you're getting at Nordstrom for 8 bills is going to be different than a Boss somewhere else for $500 (and for that matter a Boss at say Neiman-Marcus or a Boss company boo-teek).

Also, unless you're already well accessorized, you'll probably need a new tie to go with that suit, so that's another $80-$100, shoes, belt, shirt...

Ain't cheap looking sharp.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 PM

So you would recommend Hugo Boss ?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM

112 posts, read 180,824 times
Knoxville Custom Tailored Suits | Men's Designer Suits | Custom Sportcoats | Columbus Hand Tailored Suits | Business Suits | Custom Made Slacks | Custom Tailored Shirts | Legendary Tailors | Men's Clothing

They will get someone to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary