Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times

Advertisements

Why not? He spearheaded the menu and trained the kitchen staff. Not much, if anything, has changed since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But he hasn't been there for 3+ years. I don't think you can equate much of current-day experiences at The Pit with Ed Mitchell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
The DPAC was the #4 venue in the US last year based on total attendance. The DPAC has been a huge boon for Durham. Duke Energy Center in Raleigh, on the other hand, is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
That's what the economic development department always says. They are also not familiar with the concept of "opportunity cost".

Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 PM

288 posts, read 361,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
The DPAC was the #4 venue in the US last year based on total attendance. The DPAC has been a huge boon for Durham. Duke Energy Center in Raleigh, on the other hand, is another story.
Do you know if DPAC revenues are actually covering the full $2.5 million per year debt obligation for the city (for 20+ more years), or is the hotel tax still being used to pay for a big chunk of that each year?

If it's actually turning a profit on its own, that's great. I just assumed that all of these projects were subsidized to some extent by local taxpayers, but perhaps I'm wrong. I like the DPAC, but you can build lots of cool stuff for $50 million. When you also consider the taxpayer-funded ballpark (~$25 million) and parking decks (~$60 million), it's reasonable to ask whether so many public dollars needed to be spent in such a tiny area.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Do you know if DPAC revenues are actually covering the full $2.5 million per year debt obligation for the city (for 20+ more years), or is the hotel tax still being used to pay for a big chunk of that each year?
Both sources of funding are used.

Durham?s DPAC continues its profitable journey - Triangle Business Journal

Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I never cared for the Pit. Very dry. Then again, I like all other kinds of Q more than ENCQ, so that can explain it.
This doesn't make any sense, All Q IS ENCQ. Anything else is just... smoked meat.

(Tongue in cheek my friend. We'll cut you some slack, being down in Florida, you really aren't expected to know what good Que is. Bless your heart)

Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I know this is about Que, but I pass by that area a few times a week during dinner time and never see too many people at all in Only Burger, even on Fridays. Hopefully business will pick up during baseball season.

It seems that places that are corporate like Moe's and Which Wich can endure not so stellar business longer than say locally owned places like Que. I'm not saying Moe's, Which Wich or places like that never close, they do as well.

Opening Only Burger after the baseball season and starting in the Fall/Winter definitely showed them the more quiet/lean time of year.

Went to a concert at DPAC a few weeks ago and figured we'd go to Only Burger for a quick bite. It was packed - couldn't find anywhere to sit. Lots of people walking in and around all the restaurants in ATC.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Went to a concert at DPAC a few weeks ago and figured we'd go to Only Burger for a quick bite. It was packed - couldn't find anywhere to sit. Lots of people walking in and around all the restaurants in ATC.
That's great news, but what about all the days when there is nothing going on at DPAC or DBAP? Hopefully they are doing well and will do well and not throw the towel in like Que.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:16 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's great news, but what about all the days when there is nothing going on at DPAC or DBAP? Hopefully they are doing well and will do well and not throw the towel in like Que.
In those cases I'm assuming they rely on lunch traffic from the offices in ATC, the courthouse, etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This doesn't make any sense, All Q IS ENCQ. Anything else is just... smoked meat.

(Tongue in cheek my friend. We'll cut you some slack, being down in Florida, you really aren't expected to know what good Que is. Bless your heart)
I lived in Texas before I lived in NC for several years. I suffered from the loss quality Q in NC. Heck, even here in Florida I still miss The Salt Lick. If you have eaten there, there simply is no other Q in the world....LOL! My wife still gets to eat there on some of her business trips.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Why not? He spearheaded the menu and trained the kitchen staff. Not much, if anything, has changed since then.

Exactly. Ed's fingerprints are still all over that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary