Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times

Advertisements

A little something to take the mind off the snow:

Ed Mitchell's Que restaurant has closed in Durham | Food & Drink | NewsObserver.com

In short, Mitchell claims the space wasn't right for what he was attempting to accomplish in catering, private groups, etc. He says he's looking elsewhere in the Triangle to resume operations.

I never got over there but it seemed like the project was snake-bit early on at least with the ventilation issues. Hope he's able to get back to what he does best, making some fine eats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
He may know how to cook a hog, but he sure doesn't seem to know anything about running a restaurant.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
That's why the best thing a chef can do is hire a good business manger. Leave the cooking to the kitchen,not the books.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I ate there a few times. Food was good, but definitely not set up like a typical BBQ joint. Big open dining area with no separate areas for events and the rent could not have been cheap there. Would be better for some other fast casual type deal or even another bar/restaurant if there is demand for it with so many others.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
He may know how to cook a hog, but he sure doesn't seem to know anything about running a restaurant.
He does know whole hog barbecue for sure. He just needs too keep it simple...pork barbecue, cornbread, slaw, and potatoes. Forget the alcohol. Find a good location and start feeding the masses. They will come

Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Went to this place once; wasn't impressed. BBQ was a little dry. Hole in the wall places or the always high-quality (but also very expensive) The Pit in DT Raleigh are where it's at for good and authentic BBQ

Old 02-17-2015, 10:11 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
I think he should move into an older building. That has a good location. Maybe needing a little TLC. Somewhere in DT Durham or possibly the warehouse district. Maybe even the area on Hillsborough St,near the Holliday Inn.

I disagree about the alcohol. If he's going to be in a DT area,it's a must IMO.

I agree he needs to stick to being a pit master,and get a great business partner/manager though.

I've met Mr Mitchell he's a nice man and host. Very friendly and personable. I wish him success in whatever he decides to do.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
I think it was a little too pricey for lunchtime, and that is a huge chunk of revenue for the restaurants in that building. I work in the area and frequent all of the other restaurants for lunch on a pretty regular basis, but only ate at Que twice in the time that it has been there. The food is great, but I like to spend less time and less money for a workday lunch.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
I liked the food there. I think the location would make a killing when dpac and ball games were in play. I bet the rent was too high along with not enough space to grow.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I liked the food there. I think the location would make a killing when dpac and ball games were in play. I bet the rent was too high along with not enough space to grow.
The problem is they weren't open late enough - they were usually closed/closing when Bulls games got out. My wife and I would have loved to have gone after games, but usually the only things open after were Tobacco Road and Tyler's. Mitchell would have been well done to have had late hours after games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary