Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times

Advertisements

I've been giving this some thought and maybe some people hear NC and think "UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Elon" and say how there are great schools here, and don't realize that several of those are private and pretty pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I think it probably has to do w/ UNC being near the top of those "best value" lists, too.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it probably has to do w/ UNC being near the top of those "best value" lists, too.
Definitely, UNC has a great reputation, is well-known and a GREAT price. But it's hard to get into. Poppydog, do you find that a lot of Chapel Hill students choose to go to UNC or do they go elsewhere because the school is in their backyard. I like the idea of kids going away to college (if you are able and can afford it), so the idea of living here and sending my kid to school 2 miles away (even if she could get in) doesn't sound that exciting. We're still a few years off but I know it comes up quickly.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
For a long time in NC, good = cheap.
Yep. That's why while UNC is ranked generally in the #3-#5 range in Public Universities and 20-30 range overall....it is alway ranked #1 in value or "bang for your buck".

UVA and UMich are much more expensive even for in-state students.

Agreed that NC's Public University System is "top heavy" but it does offer a wide range of options.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I didn't grow up here, but I have since met many Chapel Hill natives that did go to UNC. When I was a student at UNC I met some Chapel Hill natives at school, too, but there were lots of folks from all over NC and elsewhere. I could see my kids going there, one because she'd like to stay close to home. She may choose to go somewhere smaller, though. It's much harder to get into from out of state. I'd guess probably the top 10% of my regular old high school class got in (not high achieving CHCCS high schools), maybe the top 15-20%, but not everyone who got in chose to go. Former chancellor Holden Thorp was one of my high school classmates.

I have the impression that UVA is a little harder to get in. My Fairfax Co niece is finishing up there and had a lot of angst about whether she would get in. She also applied to UNC and I believe she did get in here. (Her smarty-pants brother went to Penn.)

Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
California has a ton of well-ranked schools. So, I'm not sure why when we moved here, many people made the statement that we were lucky because NC has so many great public universities.

Simple.. Small minds with very limited experience. Also, both the admissions process and the internal workings of UNC-CH is somewhat political, which probably contributes to their insufferable sense of self importance.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yep. That's why while UNC is ranked generally in the #3-#5 range in Public Universities and 20-30 range overall....it is alway ranked #1 in value or "bang for your buck".

UVA and UMich are much more expensive even for in-state students.

Agreed that NC's Public University System is "top heavy" but it does offer a wide range of options.
UNC really is a great deal! In-state tuition is about $8K at UNC versus $13K at UVA or $14K at Michigan, but all of those costs are much cheaper than having to go to an out-of-state school or a private school! Out-of-state tuition is $33K for UNC and $42K for both UVA and Michigan. I cannot imagine living in one state and forgoing the state's flagship university to go to an out-of-state's flagship university unless you received a scholarship or there was another unique reason. With 3 children, it really makes sense for us to live in a state that has a wide variety of good state schools that they can go to.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
It's been a few years now, but my wife went to graduate school at UNC-CH as an out-of-state student, and the out-of-state tuition then was less than in-state tuition in her home state.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have the impression that UVA is a little harder to get in. My Fairfax Co niece is finishing up there and had a lot of angst about whether she would get in. She also applied to UNC and I believe she did get in here. (Her smarty-pants brother went to Penn.)
Word on the street is that UVA is hard to get into from Fairfax County because there are SO MANY qualified students. As I understand it, the school is very Northern Virginia heavy, and they want their student body to be more diverse (in a location sense). The joke is that you'd have a much better chance of getting in moving to a low-performing district in a rural area of the state. Something to be said for not going to a highly-rated high school!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's been a few years now, but my wife went to graduate school at UNC-CH as an out-of-state student, and the out-of-state tuition then was less than in-state tuition in her home state.
As an undergrad, I went to an out-of-state public university versus the one in my state. But the difference in total costs (tuition + room and board) back then was only about $4K. The difference now is astronomical. I cannot imagine being a North Carolina resident and choosing UVA over UNC or being a Virginia resident and choosing UNC over UVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary