Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times

Advertisements

We had several vehicle break-ins at my old North Raleigh apartment complex. Nice complex off Lynn road. An old coworker's car, along with several others, was broken into at his gated apartment complex off Alexander Drive near Brier Creek. Both very "safe" areas of the Triangle. I seriously doubt you were personally targeted. GPS units are big business for thieves these days. I've actually read that they now even look for suction cup marks on windshields because they know it probably means a GPS unit hidden inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
I am the one in Chapel Hill whose minivan was broken into on Christmas Eve. After the fact, we realized that they must have seen my GPS charger (which they stole but we didn't notice when we reported the break-in as it's something you only notice when you are sitting in the car and we couldn't sit in it as there was glass everywhere) and assumed that there was a GPS in the car. Fortunately I always take my GPS out of the car and there were no Christmas gifts in there either -- I think that is also what they were after too. My minivan was parked in the driveway in a residential area and we have a large, bright streetlight at the end of the driveway. I am still fuming weeks after.

I thought we were safe here but I guess you are never safe anywhere.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Crime travels....no where is 100% safe. Most crime is a crime of opportunity (someone said this already I know) but it is the truth. A criminal sees a nice car, GPS base, satellite radio, expensive radio etc. or they hear your radio thumping from a mile away and they see that opportunity....where ever you are. You moved in at the beginning of the month.....like most people. My thoughts are that the best time to hit someone up is at the beginning of the month in an apartment complex because they are more worried about moving in and not thinking about being robbed so they are more apt to leave something open or sitting out.

Nicer neighborhoods usually have nicer things to steal. If you live in a nice neighborhood with easy access to a highway or main rod then your neighborhood is a target. I don't care where you live you should always bring in your electronics, turn down your radio and lock your doors. Criminals have cars too (albeit stolen ones) and are able to travel to YOU. You don't always have to be in the heart of the bad areas.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
This sort of stuff happens all over. Two of our neighbors had their cars broken into a while back. It was teens in the neighborhood.

This summer when we went back to MA our house was broken into. They didn't steal anything. The police determined that it was just a bunch of kids using our home for a place to hang out. Kids probably heard from ours that we were going to be away. They used our microwave to heat up frozen subs and left the wrappers in the garbage. I cleaned the house before I left and emptied the trash. There were some crumbs on the island. There was a little stain on the carpet in front of the coffee table. Probably spilled something (beer perhaps, ya think). Our gas fireplace was warm so they used that and quite recently before we arrived home.

We live in a nice neighborhood in Cary so it can happen anywhere like the others have said.

Last edited by jln69; 01-10-2008 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
I live in North Raleigh, in the Columns at Wakefield, and really like it. It has a safe feel, is gated (though it's not entirely difficult to walk around it) -- I would recommend it.

However - within the first two weeks of moving in there, I had dog feces put all over my car (I do have dogs, as do many, but mine was the only car to be hit-- and I'm a diligent pooper scooper!), and had a number of UPS deliveries (which admittedly were being left outside my front door) stolen. It was VERY frustrating, and made me want to tuck tail and run, as well.

However, nothing has really happened since then. It's quiet, people are nice, etc. UPS now knows to leave packages at the office, my car has been fine (even for 2 weeks after an accident where it was pretty vulnerable). I think you could work it out at your currrent place, but do recognize your desire to leave.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Contact local police for stats on car break-ins in your complex.

If above average, mgt should have provided security or warned you.

I'm community watch captain at my complex in Raleigh. and mgt notifies residents of all crime.

If you feel mgt breached this duty, approach them with the facts and request a release.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Yes, crime CAN occur anywhere. But the chances go up or down depending on where you live. It is definitely worthwhile to research the area you are planning on living to see if it has a high crime rate.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,434 times
Again--you're in a GREAT area. You can probably SEE my house from your apartment I'm so close, so I feel like an authority on the matter ... and I feel EXTREMELY safe and content living in this area even as a woman with a young child. As the above posts show, crime happens everywhere... even *gasp* in Cary! If this incident is going to prompt you to move, then I suspect that you will have trouble finding any area of the Triangle with which you are happy. I really hope you decide to give the neighborhood another chance.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
As the above posts show, crime happens everywhere... even *gasp* in Cary!
Yes, there has been crime in Cary. But your chance of getting robbed in Cary is MUCH, MUCH lower than getting robbed in Durham.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I get the feeling that the neighborhood isn't the problem. The problem is the feeling that his neighbors took advantage of him & have gone unpunished. No matter where you live, if you feel that your neighbors have stolen from you, you'll probably want to find new neighbors.

Steve, I can't offer any personal recommendations on apartment complexes because I rented a house when I first moved here. I just hope for your sake that this gets resolved. Moving is so stressful as it is & throwing a burglary on top of that certainly can't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary