Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:01 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Whoa. Glad you were finally able to stop camping in your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Wow! That is awful. What on Earth you people do for heat? We always had gas heat up north so no issue without power. Here we have electric. Do you just freeze?
Many people here have gas heat. We do. Of course, the furnace will not work due to no blower, but the gas fireplace, water heater and stove worked fine when we lost power yesterday morning. Luckily it was back in 3-4 hours.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:47 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Wow! That is awful. What on Earth you people do for heat? We always had gas heat up north so no issue without power. Here we have electric. Do you just freeze?
Our gas heat up north (as well as here) didn't work with no power as it had an electronic ignition. What sort of system did you have?

I was able to manually light the gas stovetop.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Our gas heat up north (as well as here) didn't work with no power as it had an electronic ignition. What sort of system did you have?

I was able to manually light the gas stovetop.
I dunno? 100 year old house, furnace wasn't THAT old, but certainly not a newer model!
I do know that when we got a newer stove we had to light it because of the electric ignition, same with the water heater, but in all my life up there we were never with out power for anywhere near that long.

Here we have a fireplace, but we have never ordered whatever you need to make it run-there is a tank out back. Never used the real wood fireplace up there so never bothered to figure this one out, but maybe we should in case we do lose power one day. We can't normally light a fire because of DS w/ special needs but might have to some day if there is no power.

So no power means not only can we not heat the house,but no hot water OR cooking in this all electric house! I need to move!

I can't imagine the house dipping to 45 degrees! That is awful.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
That's what, er, uh,... not gonna go there.
Good one!!

(I'm behind on this post!)

Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yeah, we have gas heat but it won't work w/o electricity. We've got an electric stove, but could cook anything on the propane grill (its a pretty decent one w/ a burner to the side). It was really just the heat and the lights we missed.

During Hurricane Fran we lost power for a week and while you don't lose the frozen and refrigerated food in a winter power outage like you can in a summer one if it lasts very long, I'd much rather be w/o A/C than w/o heat. Summer hot doesn't bother me as much as winter cold.

We were actually not too cold in the house, though. I picked up some Yankee transplant snow pants for cheap at the thrift store a couple of years ago so I just wore those in the house.

About 12 yrs ago we had a REALLY bad ice storm in Dec and lost power for a week. We had an 18mo old baby then and we bailed on the dogs and went to a hotel.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Headlights are great for power loss when the lights don't work. We added several of them to our emergency kit a few years back. I like them far better than flashlights or lanterns. Just keep plenty of AAA's around which are easier to find when the rush is on.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Oh yeah we had plenty of headlamps. We broke out all the camping supplies, lanterns, light up frisbee, plus leftover Halloween glow sticks -- enough of them can really light up a bathroom.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
I have a backup generator, so don't need any of these things in general but I do appreciate head lights - I use them in the shop and in the dark around the house too.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:54 PM

197 posts, read 208,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

2) iPad with T-Mobile service: I don't want to be paying for a monthly subscription, but I like having a tablet with cellular access "just in case." I made sure my iPad has cellular and a SIM slot. T-Mobile will sell you a SIM card that gives you 200 megs of free data every 30 days. I don't routinely go beyond that, but in the event of a long-term power or Internet loss, I can buy additional "day passes" for Internet. (Like many of us, my job sometimes requires access from home in emergencies so it's a good lifeline; also good to get weather, news reports, etc.)
Hi BCR, good advice! BUT, it looks like T-mo no longer offers "free data for life" except for some low-end tablets sold at Walmart and HP tablet and Chromebooks. I considered getting the SIM when they announced this a while back but their Android tab selection was very limited... They used to have a webpage for this service but I can't find it anymore. Darn it! (let me know anyone if I'm wrong on this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary