Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times

Advertisements

I don't think the entire city of Durham can be blanketed as unsafe, as there are sections that are relatively safe. But if people would like to think that Durham is no more dangerous than many of the surrounding suburbs, then that would just be a fantasy. Everyone has a different comfort level. We never had a crime issue ourselves in Durham, but many neighbors did. It got to the point that crime was on our minds more than it should have been. And then to see the looks on someone's face when we would say "we live in Durham". After a while, we just decided there were better places to live. The crime issue was one of many reasons why.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 02-12-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,576,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist27709 View Post
My friend, you aren't incorrect at all as far as the grammar goes. But when it comes to safety, which by the way is the key issue we are discussing in this thread, Durham certainly doesn't deserve top priority, especially if someone is relocating. Assuming Durham to be safer than other places in the viscinity would be terribly incorrect.
Nobody said durham was SAFER than surrounding towns, just that it's not quite the South Bronx, as could be implied from your post.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Quote:
My friend, you aren't incorrect at all as far as the grammar goes. But when it comes to safety, which by the way is the key issue we are discussing in this thread, Durham certainly doesn't deserve top priority, especially if someone is relocating. Assuming Durham to be safer than other places in the viscinity would be terribly incorrect.

It is spelled VICINITY.... Since we are providing grammer lessons...

As I have said in other posts, I live and work here, feel safe here and LOVE it!!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM

91 posts, read 115,687 times
We are providing grammar lessons, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumanurseNC View Post
It is spelled VICINITY.... Since we are providing grammer lessons...

As I have said in other posts, I live and work here, feel safe here and LOVE it!!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 PM

91 posts, read 115,687 times
Exclamation Durham crime data

Ok, here's the crime data from Durham:

(Time frame: Jan. 2007 to Jan. 2008)

Burglary/breaking and entering: 4,005
Assault: 1,948
FR: 100
HO: 20
Larceny/Theft: 7,825
Motor vehicle theft: 1,120
Robbery: 947

Now, I don' t really care where Durham stands relative to the south side of New York or the north-west side of heaven, but what I do care about is the safety and security of NEW PEOPLE willing to relocate to Durham. Its my job to provide them with exact numbers.

Here's the link, check for yourself:

http://gisweb.durhamnc.gov/gis_apps/..._entryform.cfm

Have a safe year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
Nobody said durham was SAFER than surrounding towns, just that it's not quite the South Bronx, as could be implied from your post.
Attached Thumbnails
Safety in Durham-picture1.png  

Last edited by Scientist27709; 02-12-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, here's the crime data from Durham:

(Time frame: Jan. 2007 to Jan. 2008)

Burglary/breaking and entering: 4,005
Assault: 1,948
FR: 100
HO: 20
Larceny/Theft: 7,825
Motor vehicle theft: 1,120
Robbery: 947

Now, I don' t really care where Durham stands relative to the south side of New York or the north-west side of heaven, but what I do care about is the safety and security of NEW PEOPLE willing to relocate to Durham. Its my job to provide them with exact numbers.

Here's the link, check for yourself:

Durham Crime Mapper

Have a safe year.
I can't see the city with the zillion red dots covering it up.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Default Durham Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I've been hearing a lot of talk about people feeling unsafe in durham. I am looking to relocate to Durham this summer, from Grand Rapids, Michigan. All the talk about safety issues has made me a bit uncomfortable about moving my wife and I there. But....looking at crime rates it doesnt seem to be much worse than Grand Rapids and I rarely feel unsafe here. Are people just being paranoid?
Nickc121,

I just moved here to Durham from New York last year June and love it. I love the diversity, the people and culture attributes. Based on my observation, Durham gets a bad rap for a number of reasons, some of which I will not get into because there are others out there that may take offense to my opinion, based on income level, ethnicity and the level of diversity that seems to scare some. Bottom line is everywhere you go will have it's good and bad pockets. Ironically, Raleigh had more murders than Durham last year according to WRAL news, yet most people in Raleigh will be quick to "bad mouth" Durham ... it is normally the ones that never lived there that are quick to crucify Durham.

Oh wait a minute .... Raleigh has its issues with crime just as much as Durham or even Chapel Hill for that matter; let us not forget too long ago where 22-year-old UNC student body president Eve Carson fell victim to crime last year ...... that did not stop me from moving here to NC, wild horses could not stop me, because I have been around places that really had problems. Nowhere is immune my friend; that being said, one should always use common sense and do their home work. Durham is not Saigon nor is it like certain neighborhoods in Baltimore that I am very familiar with. Like anywhere, there is good and bad. Durham Rocks!!!

In New York City, people from the Bronx had their own opinions of Brooklyn and vice versa ... go figure

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I can't see the city with the zillion red dots covering it up.
So where is the link for Raleigh and Cary .... or should I say Wake and Cary, because Durham is a county and city too.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
So where is the link for Raleigh and Cary .... or should I say Wake and Cary, because Durham is a county and city too.

I didn't provide the link. Someone else did. I just clicked on it and couldn't see the city, because it was covered up with a ton of dots. I couldn't see where the city lines were.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
I'm glad our "scientist" friend doesn't live in Salt Lake City or Chattanooga.

I'd hate for them to live in a city with higher crime rates than Durham.

(Add Fayetteville, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte to that list. Heck, I should walk over to the Triad forum and remind 'em, "Don't move to the Triad! Durham's safer!")

If for some reason I were forced to move out of Durham, I'd move back to Boston (or back to Charlotte) before I'd move to some of the "low crime" communities in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary