Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM

34 posts, read 74,784 times

Advertisements

The AC system (3 ton unit for 3000+ sqft house) seems too small per HVAC contractor. He said we need to replace with 5.5 ton at minimum and the duct work seems under sized as well. He gave me the quote of 8500~11k to upgrade it. Is his price reasonable? What if we just add another 2.5 ton unit, will that cost so much as well? This is one story house with walk out basement. The HVAC was in basement. Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
Is his sizing and ducting based on 'ACCA' Manual D, J, and S calculations or is it "seat of the pants"?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM

34 posts, read 74,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Is his sizing and ducting based on 'ACCA' Manual D, J, and S calculations or is it "seat of the pants"?
I think he is based on ACCA manual. He said we need one ton per 600 sqft. I had thought you may need less for basement, but it seems not.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
When replacing a large item like a HVAC unit, I always get 3 estimates.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Ultimately it will be more efficient purchase and running wise IMO to have one larger unit vs. two small ones. We have two, 2.5 ton units and the only benefit is when one goes down it's not an emergency to get it fixed.

If I had my way I would replace and run with one unit.

FWIW I would think a 3 ton is a little on the small side, we have two 2.5 ton for 2000 sq ft.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huben View Post
I think he is based on ACCA manual. He said we need one ton per 600 sqft. I had thought you may need less for basement, but it seems not.
Sounds like he did it seat of the pants - I think he is required by the NC regs to do the calculations.

I am not in the HVAC biz, but I'm gaining some exposure due to some issues in a new construction ... more than I'd like.

There are three calculations that I've heard of:
  • manual J, which takes into account insulation, sun effects, heat loss and a lot of other attributes
  • manual D, related to the duct placement, lengths, CFM carried and sizing
  • manual S, for sizing of the components, I believe

Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
The new regs do require a calculation for proper sizing but that's no guarantee of accuracy either.

Since this is an existing situation - I'm curious what the OP's experience has been with the existing unit? If it's really a 5.5 ton house then a 3 ton unit would run out of capacity in a pretty obvious manner. Can you maintain a set point temp of say 72F summer and 70F in the winter? If you maintained 70F here over the last few weeks then its hard to argue the capacity (ton rating) is that far off.

Frank

Old 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM

97 posts, read 125,929 times
Before looking at equipment, look at your home's thermal and vapor barriers (i.e. insulation).

Look for points of air infiltration (gaps or cracks). You can possibly seal them up with spray foam (i.e. Dow GREAT STUFFâ„¢).

Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective View Post
Before looking at equipment, look at your home's thermal and vapor barriers (i.e. insulation).

Look for points of air infiltration (gaps or cracks). You can possibly seal them up with spray foam (i.e. Dow GREAT STUFFâ„¢).
That would be known as a blower door test which checks all of those things to identify envelope leakage areas of the home around windows, doors, electrical outlets, chimney, etc...typically done as part of an energy audit.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
I would appear to me that he "ball parked" it! Just curious but how old is the house. Newer houses are more energy efficiency and the old rule of 600 sq ft/ton generally doesn't apply (not that it was ever that accurate). To get a properly sized system the calculations have to be performed! As noted, always get several quotes--you may be surprised at the differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary